War Z alpha footage surfaces, shows weapons and zombies

Saturday, 22nd September 2012 14:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The War Z alpha footage has been posted online courtesy of FPSGeneral’s Youtube channel. It’s below. War Z is a survival horror MMO was announced in early August and 100,000 closed beta registrations were received in the 24 hours of being accepted.

1. DSB

Honestly, if those guys don’t want to be named copycats, then maybe they should stop blatantly ripping design features from other games.

Now featuring the Crysis weapon mod system!

2. RoyBrown

Are these guys fucking joking?

It looks like they have barely modded the Crysis engine to completely rip off DayZ…

Why is it even called “rampage gameplay”, I was bored to tears and he’s using a silenced weapon, shooting zombies that seem to move in a buggy as shit fashion. Even the diner looks stolen from Dayz.

3. Ireland Michael

Wait, people thought this was going to be more than a cheap ripoff of Day Z? Really?

This game is the western equivelant of all that Chinese ripoff games you see all the time. Why anyone assumed otherwise is beyond me.

4. TMRNetShark

LOL @all

@1 They didn’t copy DayZ… it would have been impossible to design and make all of those elements in game (I mean, purely the textures, buildings, terrain, etc). If they copied anything from DayZ, I would say it would be the sound/sight meter along with the other survival game mechanics (water/food/medicine). But you are totally right, looks eerily like the Crysis weapon mod system. To be fair, I think they are using the Cry Engine 3 Free SDK… so maybe that’s why there is that feature?

@2 Watch the whole video… he unsilences the gun and more zombies turn up… starts beating them with a mag light. XD Once again, I think they are using the free Cry Engine 3 SDK.

@3 Cheap ripoff, by definition… yes. Sadly though, it’s a little more. At least we don’t have all zombies that are now Usain Bolt and can turn 180 degrees in a split second. Not to mention the cool use of barriers (there could be more potential here… creating bottlenecks for masses of zombies to clear) and maybe not using the broken bandit system.

Cause honestly, when I kill someone else in self defense, I would still look like a bandit. I like playing cooperatively! But NOOOoooOO…

Anyways, have fun calling it names and pissing on it. Just remember… Halo just copied Half Life and both series are very popular nowadays. Meaning that there is room in the gaming world for TWO zombie survival games. ;)

5. DSB

Day Z is crap too, but I don’t think anyone was talking about that.

I greatly prefer slow zombies as well, but it’s not like these are impressive to look at, at all. I’d like to be able to build defences, but it’s not like this video makes it look even slightly entertaining.

It looks like a unity game more than a Cryengine game.

And Day Z being shit doesn’t mean this isn’t every bit as bad.

6. LuLshuck

Look likes homefront but with zombies

7. NocturnalB

Man i would love a really great zombie survival MMO.. but wow, the only difference between this cheap ripoff and DayZ, is DayZ at least has a more detailed interface… and better zombies.

8. Phoenixblight

Alpha footage people. You apparently don’t know what alpha is and this game can’t be a rip off because it has its own engine,assets and mechanics unlike Day Z which just uses the games assets and mechanics and reskins enemies with zombies.