Lionhead director says the studio is working on “something new and exciting”

Tuesday, 18th September 2012 16:31 GMT By Nick Akerman

Gary Carr, the man who stepped into the clown-sized shoes of Peter Molyneux, has indicated Lionhead Studios is working on a brand new project.

Speaking to Polygon, Carr suggested the company is finally moving away from Fable titles.

“We always have a few teams kicking around, and a few small teams who branch off and do other things,” he said. “You can’t just pour everybody onto one idea — that’s just not going to [help you] evolve as a studio. So there are a number of things I can’t talk about, as you would imagine. But we’re a team rolling off a finished title now, and we’re rolling onto something new and exciting which I can’t tell you about.”

Could Lionhead finally move away from their beloved franchise? Now Molyneux is gone, I’d wager they probably will.

Fable: The Journey is scheduled for release on October 8.

1. Eregol

If they weren’t working on something new and exciting surely they wouldn’t have a job?

2. ManuOtaku

I hope fable the journey is a good kinect tittle as the gunstringer was, if thats the case i will love it, and i hope is true, i want another action RPG from them, in another mythos and story.

3. Deacon

:: waiting for the project to be canned and the studio demolished due to horrendous Fable: The Journey sales ::

; )

4. Kabby

Since when did Lionhead make anything exciting?

5. The_Red

Something exciting and new: A new Fable for Kinect 2 (Xbox 720′s built in feature!).

6. woe

Deacon: The thoughts of a company collapsing and people losing their jobs must give you a raging boner.

7. The_Red

I don’t think he’s happy about people losing their jobs. He’s happy to see a game that betrayed its heritage and was forced into existence because of pressure from suits in order to have a “hardcore” franchise using crappy Kinect, crash and show its effect on people that didn’t resist the decision.

Sure, I know resisting higher ups / suits is not always possible but I’m pretty sure this is one of those situations where not many people in Lionhead showed much resistance towards. Peter M was probably unhappy about it but that’s it.

8. Gheritt White

@ 4: The original Black & White, Fable: The Lost Chapters and Fable 2 were all worth getting excited about, IMHO.

9. Gadzooks!

#8

Agreed, Fable 1 and 2 are both absolutely brilliant games. Charm by the bucketload.

Fable 3 lost it’s way a bit. It wasn’t awful, but the kingdom-building didn’t gel particularly well with the limited adventuring and the Mollycoddle/Work-to-death decisions in the later part of the game felt artificial.

They tried something new though, mixed up the formula instead of churning out an identikit sequel. For that they deserve a little credit even if the end result wasn’t very good. Omelettes, breaking eggs, etc..

The Journey demo however, well that is pure uncut cack. Totally devoid of character and using Kinect in all the exactly wrong ways, effectively reducing the game to a long string of QTE’s. At least in the bit of the demo I could stand to endure.

I’d prefer to see Lionhead try something new, and maybe come back to Fable when they have had time to absorb and understand the reasons why the series went wrong.

10. ManuOtaku

I will join the posters that did like all the fable titles even thet third one, therefore i think this developer does good works overall, and i got the impresion the journey will not dissapoint, i just want it to be as good as the gunstringer game on kinect.

11. fearmonkey

I loved the original Fable the most story wise, and enjoyed fable 2 and 3 but the sequels couldn’t hold a candle to the original story.

I’d love to see an Oblivion style game in Fable’s world, First person as an option, completely free roam, and in the past before the Fighters guild was destroyed. I’d love a game where the fighters guild was still around. If they cannot make a new great story, bring back Jack of Blades in some way, he was the best villain hands down.

12. NocturnalB

The original Fable was a staple in my development as a gamer! Hands down one of if not my absolute favorite game. 2 and 3 were ok… but like @11 said they can’t hold a candle to the first game.

I am not at all looking forward to The Journey, that’s primarily due to the fact that i’m not a Kinect fan at all, and also the fact that i feel it’s unjustly milking what should have been an honored franchise.