Nintendo TVii announced, included in Wii U purchase for free

Thursday, 13th September 2012 15:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Nintendo TVii was announced during Nintendo’s Wii U preview event in New York.

The application allows Wii U owners in the United States and Canada to find, watch and engage with their favorite video entertainment using the GamePad controller.

Nintendo TVii lets viewers “seamlessly explore” available video content from a variety of sources ā€“ including live TV, TiVo, and video-on-demand services, using one interface.

It’s something Nintendo has been “kicking around for a long time,” said NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime during the event. The firm was waiting for the right technology to introduce Nintendo TVii, and with Wii U, “the technology has come,” said Reggie.

“Soon, what you watch, and how you watch, will come together on Wii U,” said the demonstration.

Using the touch screen on the GamePad controller, Nintendo TVii users will be able to browse programming from sources they subscribe to, including cable and satellite channels, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and even their recorded TiVo shows.

TiVO will require an existing TiVO box, as will the DVR functionality.

Users can scroll through various Miis which have their own favorite shows and movies allowing you to “find, watch, and engage.”

The tablet gives you a “second screen” experience and allow everyone in the house to personalize their TVii experience. Users can see shows friends have favored as well, even on Facebook.

When scrolling through the various shows, you can just click on the picture icon to choose it. There’s also an icon on the tablet screen which will allow you to record the show.

You can watch one thing on the TV screen, and watch a movie trailer on the tablet screen, and find built-in reviews, and access to Wikipedia and IMDB, for example.

A built-in remote dial will appear on the screen, which adds your favorite TV shows to outer layer.

Users can also tweet via the Pad while watching the show, and insert emoticons.

All YouTube and web-based video will be viewable as well.

Nintendo TVii will roll out in the US and Canada, and come with Wii U for no additional charge or monthly fee.

1. Moonwalker1982

Is this what gamers want…..at all? I mean, don’t we already have countless of different things that let you watch shows and sports and movies? Jeez.

This stuff ain’t big in my country, maybe that’s why i don’t see the big deal.

2. Ireland Michael

@1 I think this is great. Its a quirky and funny way to see what kind of entertainment and media your friends are enjoying. Isn’t that how many of us discover a lot of new things, through the recommendations of our friends?

3. Moonwalker1982

I guess man. For me i have a console just for gaming and that’s it.

4. Ireland Michael

@3 Whatever works for you. I use mine for gaming, media streaming, Netflix watching and socialising with friends. You’re a smart guy. You know consoles haven’t been about “just gaming” for years.

5. Fin

Like Smartglass from MS is it?

Fuckin’ Nintendo, always ripping off Sony and Microsoft.

6. Ireland Michael

@5 Please tell me you’re joking.

You have got to be joking.

7. xino

interesting

as long as I don’t have to pay for tv services then I -might- use it

8. ManuOtaku

Well i wont use this, because i use my consoles, the three of them, to play games really, i think for others this will be good news nontheless, good for them.

9. Fin

About them ripping off Sony and Microsoft? Yes.
    About it being very similar to SmartGlass? No.

10. mrmike2012

I think it’s great, it’s just more ways for us use our consoles and I also like the fact that it’s all included in the price. Microsoft could learn a lot from Nintendo, because I really don’t know why we pay for live.

11. Ireland Michael

@9 And both are a rip off of Apple.

You know, that non-gaming company that everyone gets so upset about when a news stort related to them is posted, because they’re apparently not relevant to gaming…

12. Fin

Eh? When have Apple done dynamic information based on what’s on your tv? They’ve got a tablet in the iPad, that’s about the only similarity.
    Eh? Apple are relevant to gaming.

I prefer paying ~Ā£25 a year for a rock-solid service, rather than free for one that’s not (PSN has downtime, I’ve yet to see anything from Nintendo).