Valve: ‘Windows 8 will accelerate Microsoft’s decline’, says Newell

Monday, 10th September 2012 09:38 GMT By Dave Cook

Valve head and co-founder Gabe Newell has discussed the company’s inner workings and desire to remain independent rather than go under the wing of a large parent company in a new interview. He’s also still not happy about Windows 8.

Speaking with the NY Times, Newell said that he’d be more comfortable if Valve were to “disintegrate” instead, before adding, “It’s way more likely we would head in that direction than say, ‘Let’s find some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate.’”

Newell is also outspoken in his dislike of Windows 8, and in the same interview, suggested that Microsoft’s attempt to capture the app market through its new OS would accelerate Microsoft’s decline, “We would say to Microsoft, we understand all these frustrations about the challenges to your business. But trying to copy Apple will accelerate, not slow, Microsoft’s decline.”

Thanks Gi.biz.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Finally, he elaborates:

“Mr. Newell’s technology vision is one reason that his comments this summer about Windows 8, which he called a “catastrophe for everyone in the PC space,” caused such an industry stir. He elaborated on some of his concerns more recently, saying he was troubled by a trend in computing toward devices that are less open to developers like Valve than they used to be. Apple kicked off the shift with its App Store for iOS devices, through which Apple controls the distribution of software that people can install on their iPhones and iPads, and takes a cut of the proceeds as well.

Mr. Newell concedes that this approach has been successful for Apple. He says, however, that he is concerned that Microsoft is taking a similar approach for Windows 8 applications, which will need to be distributed through a Microsoft app store if they take advantage of the most modern features in the operating system. Valve worries that Microsoft’s control will undermine Steam on Windows 8 by creating a bottleneck for updates to games.”

So it turns out that he’s just scared that Steam will get overlooked because of a Windows app store…

‘Oh no, I will lose money! It’s a catastrophe for everyone! Boo hoo…’

Big deal!

What a waste of time that story was!

2. Maximum Payne

You need MIcrosoft app store for ”METRO apps” so that fine but for normal desktop PROGRAMS ! its everything just like it was since ever.

3. frostquake

I am sure Gabe wants the World to use Steam, and that Steam Dominate the Universe, but I have to agree with him on the Windows App approach.

I HATE the APP approach on my 360.

While I love playing games on my 360, I hate everything else about it! The design is atrocious, the $60 a year to, um do what?? Play MP?? Are you kidding?? The fact that they secretly store your Credit Card Number, without telling you! I know first hand, as I deleted my card that was with my 360 account due to the PSN Hack, and low and behold they tried to authorize renewal charges to a card they claimed to have deleted over 36 times!!

Took me calling the Philippines and then getting escalated to an “American Site” ROFL, and getting told that Microsoft does in fact store the latest credit card you used just for the purpose of renewals..Needless to say, I will NEVER use a CC on 360 again!!

Thank Goodness for Prepaid Cards..Finally Google Play Cards are at Gamestop, Target, and Wal-Mart.

Oh to mention that why pay $15 for a XBLA game, when I can pay .99 cents for an app on my Tablet that is just as good or even the same game!!

Oh and did I mention you have to pay $60 a year to play Uno??? ROFL

Though I wonder sometimes if Gabe is a Genius or Crazy..or just a Crazy Genius??

4. klewd

good job making an interesting article into sensationalist bullshit.

5. Karooo

Nice SEO spam, Dave.

6. Hirmetrium

@1: I agree. It’s amazing how nobody has called Gabe on his bullshit. He’s acting like a self-entitled 2 year old and is throwing his toys out the pram as soon as anybody else attempts something even remotely similar to Steam.

He’s all good and happy when crappy Origin comes along, but a Windows Store? That might actually be decent? GUYS, STOP THAT NOW.

How has Gabe’s credibility not fallen immensely in the last few weeks? All these secrets and bold statements… smoke and mirrors. And the disaster that is greenlight.

7. freedoms_stain

“In an interview in a conference room at Valve’s headquarters, Mr. Newell says that relatively few people have left Valve over the years. When they do, it’s often because a sick parent needs help. In one case, Valve moved an employee’s parents to the Seattle area, where one of them was also able to receive better cancer treatment.”

That’s pretty fucking amazing.

“Mr. Newell said that there was a better chance that Valve would “disintegrate,” its independent-minded workers scattering, than that it would ever be sold.

“It’s way more likely we would head in that direction than say, ‘Let’s find some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate,’ ” he says.”

I like that too.

Oh, and Gabe’s concern about Windows 8 is that Microsoft are locking features of the OS – however minor – to software acquired through its App Store. Say what you like, however minor the feature or features may be, that’s a step in the wrong direction. Potentially a big one, and it’s better people start talking about it now instead of waiting for Windows 9 where everything is micro-managed and controlled by Microsoft.

8. alterecho

Of the two evils, i’d rather choose MS. This guy is an hypocrite.

9. Dave Cook

@7 yeah I thought the Windows 8 part was significant too, seeing as Gabe used to work at Microsoft. But I’ve been told it’s nothing more than SEO spam, which is always nice…

10. Lord Gremlin

I’m not happy with new Windows either. Without proper Start menu why not try Linux or Mac? Seriously.

11. G1GAHURTZ

“Oh, and Gabe’s concern about Windows 8 is that Microsoft are locking features of the OS – however minor – to software acquired through its App Store.”

Can you give any specific examples, or is that just speculation?

Because to me, it just looks like he’s concerned about Steam not being the go-to place for PC gaming anymore.

12. Christopher Jack

@11, The apps. Just wiki Windows 8.

13. G1GAHURTZ

^ Ok, but I still don’t see the problem if Steam doesn’t run through the app store.

14. roadkill

@2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9rwzhvkia5pb6j/26-08-2012_12-56.jpg This is a version of my Win7 desktop. So… Why switch to 8!? Unless it boosts performance by quite a bit I for one, am not interested. :)

Also, Gabe is awesome!! He has done a lot for the PC (with Steam) and I respect him, Microsoft on the other hand.. (with GfWL) has not! But sure, hate Gabe, love Microsoft, it does not make you look like Xbox retarded fanboys at all. Nope, not even a bit.

15. Da Man

endgame wants a second game over..

16. freedoms_stain

@13, if the intention is to largely replace the Start Menu with the Metro UI and take focus away from the traditional Desktop environment then telling software developers that they have to go through the MS App store to fully access the full array of Metro features, that’s not a positive thing. Especially if the net result is for Microsoft to promote their own products with features they’re making it harder for others to make use of. Gabe also makes the legitimate point that this sort of “App Store” has the potential to bottleneck updates to the consumer. Based on Microsofts game certification process and the insane amount of time that takes, do I want Microsoft involved in how I get software updates for anything let alone everything?

17. absolutezero

MS release Windows 8 App Store into the wild, its a huge success has many companies signing on with exclusivity deals.

Windows 9 releases and its now mandatory, Microsoft polices the fuck out of the App store, charges for everything put onto it and the PC scene at large suffers massively.

This is really not the time for a “wait and see” approach, Microsoft need to know that they are treading a tight rope here and if they fuck it up then its going to mean even more lost revenue as the people that have had MS OS’ for a very long time up and go somewhere more open. Even if it is a lesser platform like Linux.

18. G1GAHURTZ

@16:

Sorry, but that sounds like fear based on assumption.

What definite proof do we have that MS has made, or is trying to make using the app store compulsory?

And why is Newell the only one who knows about it?

19. absolutezero

They are’nt. Yet.

They would dearly love to though. Look at how well they control and sit on the 360, then theres the Windows Phone Marketplace which is more or less Apples app store with a slightly different coat of paint.

Gabe is’nt the only one saying that the entire App store built into the OS is a little worrying. Which it is.

20. Da Man

We can’t allow MS to control everything and make user’s app management and installation less painful and more comfortable or organized.

If ‘Gabe’ (not just ‘Gabe’.. our Gabe) demands money, it’s all for the poor cancer victims, on the other hand in case of MS it all goes into Ballmer’s pockets.

21. absolutezero

We can’t allow MS to control everything because they are fucking incompetant.

As shown by the Windows Phone marketplace and Games for Windows Live.

Sure Gaben (The Gaben) is looking out for his own company, but that somehow devalues what he’s trying to say? Im pretty sure the people running Origin are thinking the samething.

Imagine Windows 9 and the App store is now mandatory, imagine all previously free content updates now having to be charged for because releasing them for free “de-values” the other content, just like the 360. Now imagine that every update, patch and DLC needs to go through MS certification and how slow that process is going to be. Along with having to pay for everything.

Oh hey at least its made it easy to do something that was already fucking easy.

22. G1GAHURTZ

Lol!

Yeah, to me it just looks like he’s upset because Steam games will lack the features that Metro apps are supposed to have.

In other words, the MS app store will have features that Steam can’t compete with. I can see how that harms Steam, but I’m not sure how that harms the consumer.

The Apple app store has been so successful for a reason, and that’s because it makes the average consumers computing experience much easier.

If MS can come up with a better system, where’s the problem?

This isn’t a mobile phone side project, or an experiment into bridging console and PC gaming. This is Windows. Microsoft IS Windows.

I’m sure they’ll put every effort into getting this right, and bettering the app store. They at least deserve a chance to release the product before people start talking about catastrophes based on assumption and guess work.

23. Da Man

What exactly is wrong with WP marketplace? Aside from that it isn’t full of malware and doesn’t look like shit in comparison to teh free Google one?

Why do customers give a shit about patches, updates and slow process? How exactly does it concern you?

App store makes it really easy, nerds enjoying being sys admins to feel better about themselves doesn’t mean any person who wants to keep all the user software in one place can’t see the advantage.

Lastly, this isn’t aimed at absz post, but If people were complaining about Xcode being distributed via App Store then that would sound sensible, on the other hand, inane angsty freedom fighting for the future of devs who make money off your purchases..

24. absolutezero

Microsoft even have a history of fucking it Windows. Vista was a thing they actually released.

Me as a consumer is worried because Microsoft are fucking God-awful at this kind of development and service.

My personnal experience with the Windows Phone Marketplace is the same experience I have with almost all App marketplaces, its irritating to browse for specific apps, none of them have sub-descriptions so you might completely miss out of the best cocktail mixing app thing because the creator called it “Nice Cups” and you quickly skipped over it in the listing. Its a slow process of find the things that you want in amoungst all the dreck like HOT BABES EVERYDAY. The review and rating system is populated by the worst knee-jerk babies imaginable, everything is either 5 stars or 1.

App stores in general are just a huge shitty mess with no real thought put into navigation and browseability. iOS was far worse than Windows Marketplace though.

Then again iOS was’nt filled with Chinese languge rip offs.

25. viralshag

I have a HTC and I can confirm the Google Play store is kinda wank.

26. Da Man

Wow, you have fun with downloading installers and having to keep them all in a backup folder. I’m too stupid and lack the passion to enjoy that.

I used to think ‘Half Life’ has something to do with Kir Bulychev and soviet sci-fi stories for kids.. But then again, I wasn’t too far off.

27. absolutezero

I never said it was fun. Its not hard either, so yeah I guess you are too stupid.

28. Da Man

Its not hard
    Way to demonstrate reading comprehension.

29. ManuOtaku

I will just wait for the consumers opinions regarding windowns 8, for me that is equally important as a direct competitor opinion of that system, i will wait for that prior passing any judgments on this, i will love to see the two sides of the coin here.

30. absolutezero

Its not tiresome, or difficult, or irritating, or nerdy or any other hyperbolic nonsense.

Its about the same level of irritationg brought about by having to plug things into a USB port. I mean wires thats not the future at all.

31. Da Man

Yes it is. So yeah, I guess you have the passion.

Let me correct your analogy. In other words, why use a router when you can just manually plug in the internet cable into each of your electronics. Yeah, genius..

32. absolutezero

Why have to enter a WPA key when you can just leave it unlocked. I mean who has the passion to remember strings of numbers. Jesus what a nerd. Go write a blog nerd.

Nerdy nerd nerd.

33. Phoenixblight

See I knew he was upset about the app store and not some secret feature that only he can see. My wife had vista on her computer which is a dual core,4GB with a 250 Nvidia card. It ran slow as hell and crashed quite frequently so I uninstall vista and install windows 8 and it runs like a dream I would say 80% improvement. Yeah it doesn’t have a start button but learning a few hot keys and you can navigate through it quite well and my wife enjoys the OS. She also gained 20 more frames with the games she plays.

I dunno if I will be getting it because it does some things that I don’t like as a power user but for someone like my wife who just plays a handful of games, uses word and browses the internet. Its a good OS.

34. Da Man

I will prove that apple is a pie using a watermelon.

Fak you faking casual hipster fak. Faking fakety fak.

35. G1GAHURTZ

Indeed, having to install about 8 different download managers just to install 8 different programs is stupid.

I’m personally looking forward to Windows 8 based on the media previews/reviews that I’ve seen. Nothing that the naysayers have come up with so far seems based on anything other than a previous general dislike for MS, anyway.

I need a new laptop now, but I’m trying to hold off and get a touchscreen one, so I can get the full Windows 8 experience…

36. absolutezero

You know if our lovely Gaben was solely fueled by avarice surely this interview would read slightly differently, in that he would be open to a buy out for Valve as it would net him more money?

37. freedoms_stain

It is possible to have centralised automatic software install and update managers with minimal user input without an “App Store”. Synaptic has been around since 2001 on Linux, The Ubuntu Software Centre (probably more comparable) has been in development since before Apple or Microsoft made similar moves.

Microsoft (and Apple) are essentially doing the same thing but with additional hoops to jump through.

38. pukem0n

Hes just frightened of MS own games store so u dont have to use steam anymore

39. TheWulf

Eh. That’s not entirely true. It’s a gross oversimplification of what he’s saying. That’s like hearing your doctor say that you might have cancer (though they have their doubts), and then somehow watering it down to that you factually don’t.

Essentially, he’s worried that Microsoft will pull a bait & switch. With the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, Microsoft can lock people into using only Windows on personal computers. And then, with the way Windows 8 is written, Microsoft can lock out any applications which haven’t been signed by them. Thus giving them full control.

Will they do this? It’s more within their realm of possibility than ever, but I have my doubts.

However, Gabe Newell is a shrewd businessman with his ear to the ground. The possibility is that he knows something that we don’t. As such, he may know more about which way the wind is blowing. He may have reason to believe that Microsoft will stop selling UEFI keys, and will start signing apps and forcing companies to pay a fee for everything sold through a signed app. He may have reasons to believe these things.

I don’t know that.

But simplifying it down to ‘Steam will get overlooked’ is completely misunderstanding the situation. I hope I’ve been illuminating, but not a lot of people want to listen to insight. …sadly.

40. TheWulf

Wow. Reading over this… that was actually depressing. Guys, before you judge Gabe, do a little reading up on Windows 8 and what people have discovered about the preview of it that’s available right now. As I mentioned above, Microsoft have more power at the moment to do questionable things than they ever have.

And feeling their market share slipping (due to competitors like Apple), they might actually get desperate enough to try something profoundly stupid. Will they? I don’t know. But Windows 8 presents possibilities that I don’t like, within its tech. Possibilities that didn’t exist in Windows 7.

All I’m glad is that their ‘forward thinking’ attitude means that they haven’t landed this shit on Windows 7. I hope they never do.

I encourage you all to… you know… read.

Newell is less of a hypocrite than you might think. He’s being wary. And believe it or not? He has good reason.

41. IL DUCE

@1 Agree…Newell is a smart dude, but he speaks out vehemently when he doesnt need to especially when it affects his self interest…this is the guy who said PS3 was a piece of shit and then backed off comments a couple of years later and made Portal 2 with Steamworks on it…maybe he should focus on making Half-Life 3 or something and quit worrying about bashing his former employer

42. DSB

Innocent until proven guilty certainly applies, but incompetent until proven competent certainly also does, like absolutezero says.

Would Microsoft balk at closing down the platform? You can only hope.

@33 Might want to read what he’s actually saying.

43. Phoenixblight

I read it and its like I said homeboy is scare of windows app store because it comes with every windows 8 device. Not going to read between the lines where there is none. People are so eager to pick up the torches to scream witch and jump on the windows hate bandwagon.

Gabe is a businessman first and foremost. THats why he is going to linux to hedge his bets.

44. atlanta post

There are four (4) types of people who use Microsoft Windows:
    1. Those who have no choice (i.e. business users who are required to use MS for purposes of an industry standard– legitimately no viable alternative). Included in this type are consumers who are legitimately ancillary (i.e. they need some sort of software that is only available on that platform and as a matter), in addition to their relatives, friends or are otherwise “sucked into the system”.
    2. Stupid people. Blunt and painful to hear, but honest.
    3. The truly ignorant. They know no better.
    4. The innocent who simply cannot afford an alternative.

45. eishun

i really dont know why people defend windows 8 in here
    i just gonna assume they didnt know anything..

windows 8 is heading for a closed platform, it’s slippery slope argument, but if microsoft is trying to be closed platform for windows 8, it’s most likely windows 9 will be closed platform or in a simple way, “metro only apps”

gabe afraid of windows 8 because it will somewhat shut down steam as digital distribution, but not only steam, it will be everyone including amazon, gamestop,and any online store since you can only buy apps from the microsoft store [in other words : monopoly]

also how they limit the metro in win8 is like giving console experience [limited] to PC user [more freedom]

not to mention they will most likely integrate Games For Windows Live which is really bad [i have Dark Souls for PC and GFWL only disturb me playing it], and they didn’t even bother to update the damn thing

also being closed platform meaning no more modding for games, also about bottle neck the patching? yes

microsoft charge you a lot of money for patching your game on Xbox, see fez incident for example, when they refuse to patch out bugs because it’s not worth it to pay money again to patch the game, not to mention certification process which takes around 3 month ++

so far i already noticed about 4 person disliking windows 8, Gabe from valve, CEO of blizzard, Serious Sam developer and Notch from minecraft

i advise people to read what their comment about windows 8 and not support windows 8

p.s: their newest direct X [11.1] is exclusive for windows 8,if there any newer direct x [12++] and they make it exclusive for windows 8, meaning any game using that direct x will be only available for windows 8 only

it’s how they force you to use windows 8
    [windows 8 feels like huge DRM that used as OS]

#45 1 year ago
  46. Shuklar

‘Windows 8 will accelerate Microsoft’s decline’, says Newell

Yeah, just as his waist line will accelerate his.

People just need to not buy it or develop for it.

#46 1 year ago
  47. levinesucksc

Valve? They still make games? Gabe should stop spreading FUD about Windows 8 since he´s afraid of competition to his steam store and go back to munching doritos.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Metroid455

Newell needs to “accelerate” work on Half Life 3!! im tired of Valve seemingly not interested in making games anymore -__-

#48 12 months ago