Xbox Live back up: Microsoft blames updates for the issue in statement

Tuesday, 4th September 2012 13:00 GMT By Staff

Xbox Live is back up after users reported difficulty trying to sign into the service via Xbox 360 and PCs. Microsoft issued a statement stating it was working to fix it. Major Nelson just tweeted: “the issues with Xbox LIVE are now fixed.”

If you head on over to the status update page, you’ll note all services are back online.

The original statement from Microsoft read as follows:

“We’re aware that some users may be experiencing difficulty logging in to Xbox LIVE at present. This does happen from time to time while updates and fixes are made to the system and should not be symptomatic of any larger problems.”

“A service update can be found on Xbox.com, alerting Xbox LIVE users to the current state of the service. I don’t have an update on timeframe for service to resume as usual, but we are working on the problem.”

User were reporting various errors trying to log into the service earlier today as well a the XboxLive.com website. VG247 tired several times to log-in to the site and were met with constant “Runtime Error” messages.

Unverified user complaints have also surfaced, with some claiming “friends requests from loads of accounts with 0 GamerScore,” have occurred. These claims remain unverified for the moment, notes MCV, and Microsoft has not addressed the matter.

Cheers OXM.

1. xino

xbawks

2. prawntoast

Well, I would check the service update on Xbox.com if it wasn’t also fucked. :)

3. supersir

“Microsoft blames updates”?

Maybe I’m being a bit sensitive, but that seems overly negative. The updates seem to be the reason for the problems, but “blames”? Not everything needs to be sensationalised.

4. BraveLilCrumpet

Have they tried turning it on and off again?

5. Gekidami

They probably tried to put up more ads and over-saturated the system.

6. Dave Cook

@5 probably not

7. Clupula

Man, if this were the PSN, we’d never hear the end of it. Yet, look, only 7 comments, counting mine…

8. Gekidami

@Dave.

Not sure if you thought i was serious or you’re just horribly offended by my jibe.

9. Gadzooks!

#7

Because this is a rarety the reaction is curiosity. People are naturally and understandably angry at PSN as it’s down so often.

10. Dave Cook

@8 Nah was being serious in that I don’t think its something on their front-end – as in something you can visibly see on the dashboard – like ads. I think they are due to add more features to the dash’s inner workings soon though. So it could be that which is causing the issues.

11. Ireland Michael

@7 Because the difference… and it’s a Mount Everest sized difference… is that on Xbox Live it doesn’t happen on a consistently regular basis, it hasn’t been compromised numerous times, and it’s never gone down for more than a couple of hours at its worst, bar once.

It’s certainly never gone down for a few months straight.

It’s not even remotely comparable.

12. Joe Musashi

I’m just going to blame Bethesda.

EDIT: “and it’s never gone down for more than a couple of hours at its worst.”

That’s simply not true.

JM

13. Gekidami

But i thought paying for Live made in invulnerable? Dont you get what you pay for?

14. OlderGamer

I don’t play online like I used, I dislike the Gold Fee, I dislike everything being tied into having Gold, I hate the idea of adds(and am worried where that could lead), and MS have left a general distaste in my mouth. But,…

BUT, their online service is pretty rock solid.

I can understand how some loyal Sony fans would feel like the lack of hate here seems one sided. But the truth is just what Gad and Mike said.

15. Ireland Michael

@12 It’s been down for more than a few hours maybe once or twice in its entire lifetime. I remember one specific occasion during Christmas a few years ago. That was sporadic, over the spam of about two weeks. That was probably the worst it’s ever been, and it’s never happened before or since.

@13 Yeah, I get a service that isn’t constantly hacked into, with generally secure data protection, that doesn’t require almost weekly maintainence to keep running, and that almost never goes down.

@14 The adds are actually *less* intrusive in the new dashboard update, you’ll be glad to know.

16. Gadzooks!

#15

Are you in the new dash beta?

I applied and got accepted but have had no news on it..

17. Ireland Michael

@16 Check your Dashboard on the Connect Website.

18. OlderGamer

@Mike that is good to know. I am so worried about a day when your game gets paused to “bring you a word from our sponsers”. **Shudders.

19. Joe Musashi

@15 Exactly. So the term ‘never’ wouldn’t be accurate then. Let’s not blur facts. :)

By the way, XBL seems to be coming back online for some folk now.

JM

20. Ireland Michael

@18 Everything about the new dashboard update fixes the problems of the previous one.

Each tab has more buttons, games are back at the front of the list again, Tv & Video are now one tab, and navigating the Marketplace is a hell of a lot easier now – everything’s at the front and quicker to get to.

@19 Fine. “Almost” never. It’s still like comparing the Mona Lisa to a two year old’s scribbles as far as quality of service goes.

21. stretch215

Live is up and running fine for me here in the u.s.

22. absolutezero

Have they put Rock Band songs into its own sub-catagory yet? Instead of having both trial and full songs in one huge fucking horizontal list.

23. Ge0force

#15 PS3 hack was also once, and also never happened again. Also, thousands of people lost MS-points because of Xbox Live hacks. And there are no ads at all on PS3 XMB.

People should stop justifying the Xbox Live Gold fee because of Sony’s mistakes. Online gaming on pc has always been free and works great. XBox Live Gold is nothing more than a pay-wall that allows you to host your own games (because that’s how p2p-gaming works) and access to media services that are free on EVERY other device available.

24. Da Man

You can’t argue with independent minds.

25. Gadzooks!

#17

Thanks, will do.

26. Gekidami

“Constantly hacked into”? lol Well, i guess when you’re full of shit you’re full of shit.

27. Ireland Michael

@23 The only reason I even pay for Live is because thats where the vast majority of my gaming friends play. Otherwise I wouldn’t even bother. The media services are little more than an added bonus for me. The vast majority of my favourite games this gen are on either Sony or Nintendo consoles.

@26 The most recent hack was only a few weeks ago.

28. Gekidami

^ Go on then, humour us with a source of this “hack”.

29. Da Man

As an avid xbot and a blatant troll, I lol @ #27.

30. Ge0force

#27 Oh okay, in that case my comment is not meant for you :)

But PSN wasn’t hacked again a few weeks ago, it was just a Hoax

31. G1GAHURTZ

NEWSFLASH:

Troll gets caught telling yet more lies by raging fanboy!

32. Da Man

Contributing as usual, and getting independently owned as usual I see.

33. TheOutcastWolf

@9 OHEY! Once again your fanboy opinion inflicts in the outcome… that said, PSN only went down that once and small minutes in some rare… hummm ‘overpopulate’ due to games or DLCs being released

34. Clupula

Once is a “consistently regular basis.” Got it.