Microsoft announces first wave of Xbox games heading to Windows 8

Friday, 31st August 2012 14:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has announced the first wave of Xbox games heading to Windows 8.

The list includes titles from studios such as Rovio, Gameloft, Halfbrick Studios, Microsoft Studios, and more.

Wave one includes 29 titles from Microsoft Studios, and some are exclusive to Windows 8, with many available starting October 26.

Xbox games can be found via the preinstalled Windows 8 Xbox Games app and will also be available in the Windows 8 Store.

1. 4 Elements II Special Edition
  35. Taptiles
  36. Team Crossword
  37. The Harvest HD
  38. Toy Soldiers Cold War
  39. Wordament
  40. Zombies!!!

For a rundown of features in each game, hit up playxbla.

1. Demigod

Ohhh! Im so…. hmm right. I wonder when they will get GFWL working properly so I can play Arkham city.

2. CyberMarco

So this opens the possibility to play Xbox 360 games on Windows 8, or not?

3. drewbles82

4. Da Man

Why is that? Perhaps you shouldn’t have to pay for a WP version either..

5. CyberMarco

@3 So potentially you could play all XBLA games, even retail that are distributed digitally?

6. OlderGamer

If we were still stuck three gens back I wouldn’t have a problem rebuying content to use on different platforms. I wouldn’t know any better. But today, when I buy a Movie, it comes with a BR, SD, and digital copy. We are standing at the doorway where beyond we find content transends platform.

MS(and Nintendo/Sony) has a unique opertunity to be a leader in that field. But I am betting they will want to monitize the process instead. I ask the same question as drew, and not only of MS. Will our purchased content from Wii carry over to WiiU? Or PS3 to PS4? And of course, not only windows, but xb360 to XBNXT.

We paid for it. I want to keep it.

I recall when MS moved from XBox to XB360, they just up and closed down much of LIVE on XBox. XB had an arcade feature, not only did those purchases not carry over, but they didn’t even work once MS pulled the plug. So, yeah, in the end I expect to have to pony up to rebuy games and content. I hope I am wrong. Infact, it could be one of the sticking points for me when thinking about what systems to not only own, but sink investment(Digital content) into next gen.

7. deathm00n

Only blazblue and dragons’s lair interest me, the rest I don’t even know what is or are games I can download on my phone

8. Old MacDonald

I’d rather have these games on Windows 7, thank you.

9. loki

fail

10. speedxl01

“I recall when MS moved from XBox to XB360, they just up and closed down much of LIVE on XBox. XB had an arcade feature, not only did those purchases not carry over, but they didn’t even work once MS pulled the plug. So, yeah, in the end I expect to have to pony up to rebuy games and content.”

I just don’t support this practice, if I bought something I expect to have it always (unless stated otherwise on contract), and if it won’t be possible for the company to sustain the service or migrate my goods, then I expect compensation.

MS just ripped you off. (and is still ripping off others charging for online, since it should be free)

Check this article, you even have the right to resell your digital goods.

11. roadkill

“if you already own these arcade games on xbla, surely we shouldnt have to buy them again to play on windows8″ Yeah right! This is Microsoft. I don’t know why you’re expecting them to have any decency at all.