Metal Gear’s Raiden announced for PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale

Wednesday, 29th August 2012 17:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metal Gear’s Raiden has been announced for PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale. Raiden will be a combo-heavy character with air-juggling abilities. He was revealed via Gamespot Asia. Watch him in action below. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale releases November 20 in the US and on November 21 in Europe for PS3 and Vita. Thanks, Siliconera.

1. xino

every boring man!

I have no idea why they had to turn this into a smash bros 2d beat em up:/

they should have turned it to a REAL fighting game regardless of it being 2d/sprite/3d.
    Making it super smash bros like just takes away the seriousness and competitive feel to it.

2. OlderGamer

Right Xino, but the thing is SSB games sell a ton of copies. Those sales are what Sony is trying to copy. Exactly the samething Sony is making LBPK for, Mario Kart sales. Samething with Move, after Wii sales. It just is what it is. Sony isn’t trying to make a cool serious competitive core product. They are trying like hell to mimic Nintendos suscess.

That is why I always say Nintendo is a market leader. Sony is just trying to follow that lead. Keep in mind that Sony is also a JPN company. So what happens in JPN matters a lot to them, and Nintendo are killing them in their home market. The latest top 20 charts out of JPN are dominated with nintendo games. I think one PSV game even made the list.

It just is what it is.

3. YoungZer0

It’s probably going to be better than SSB. It has a lot of new levels and characters. That’s something Nintendo can’t say about their games.

4. lexph3re

I would agree with you OG if it wasn’t for the tons of oiginal IPs Sony has by default. If anything Sony is Listening to what gamers demands are. This has been one of the demands of Sony for a long time now. And all their doing is giving what the fans desire. The biggest UP to this game though is that it plays nothing like SSB i have been playing the beta for about 2 weeks now and have had a ton of friends try it out and everyone has agreed the games nothing like SSB

Overall This game is a warm welcome to the genre from the people that want it and have actually played it.

5. KAP

@3&4

Agree.

People who say its boring or crap clearly realises this game isnt for them yet they continue to troll it anyway.. meh to them I say.

6. Dragon246

@3,4,5
    Exactly, haters haven’t even played the game and still hate it.
    PSASBR trounces SSB in-
    1.Graphics (no doubt)
    2.Gameplay and balance (heritage of superbot devs is easily shown here. In Gameplay some may prefer health bars but I prefer supers which is NOT A RIPOFF but completely new and fresh).
    3.Variety ( I don’t like playing with 6456455th character of same mario,zelda worlds)
    4.Stages (no comparison really)

So much for a rip-off.

@OG,
    “That is why I always say Nintendo is a market leader”
    Yeah, that explains why they have the biggest losses now. PS and Xbox brands have way better margins even when they are not “market leaders” and not try to make profit on every hardware( in early cycle) like ninty, the market leader.

7. monkeygourmet

What are the main reason it plays so different to Smashbothers?

Seriously curious, because apart from the graphical difference, it looks almost identical to me.

4 Sony (Nintendo) Charecters, fighting on franchise backdrops, in a semi cartoon style?

In what way does it separate itself so much?

Also, which fans were asking for this? I’ve never heard anyone wish for something like this until it was announced. I’ve had a PS3 for approx 3 years and this was the last thing me or anyone I know would have requested…

8. SuperGuyverUSA

Most of us wanted this back in the days of PS2. Now that Sony has tons of new and enjoyable characters, this game has been a huge want for many PlayStation fans. I personally can’t wait to get my hands on it, same goes for alot of people.

9. lexph3re

1. Pacing- the pacing of the ssb is smash rest smash rest. On PAS its constant fighting. Theres no let downs in the action.
    2. Combos- smash is focused on a few combos and then sending your opponent flying. PAS its all about combos building for a finisher. There is no gaurentee you can kill someone just as theirs no gaurentee you can be killed.
    3. Arenas- the arena in smash are all open because the theme is to knock your opponent off the map. In pas the arena is in closed making it more focused on combos which is its theme.
    4. Characters-Its obvious what the difference is seeing how smash wants all nintendo brand characters and PAS wants all popular characters.
    5. Controls- smash has 2 attack buttons a jump button and a smash stick. PAS has 3 attack buttons with a jump button and a special attack button. In smash you can do a variety of 7 different attacks including smashes. In Pas you can do about 18 variations of attacks.
    6.Art- their practically the same with smash being more cell shaded and PAS being more 3D renderings.

10. lexph3re

Oh yeah, as of now there are no general character glitches like wave dashing or gliding

11. OlderGamer

Really fellas? Do you guys have any of those rose tinted glasses, I think I must have placed my Sony pair somewhere.

Dragon man go look at:

Lex, I think Sony has some great new IPs this gen. And I would like to see new IPs from other folks too. But if this gen has taught us anything it is that New IPs don’t automaticly equal sales. I think, clearly that Sony has made some calculated moves to tap into gameplay experiences that have long been associated with Nintendo.

And, I think, it is easy to understand why they would covet that considering Nintendos dominance in JPN.

12. lexph3re

Yes but thats the thing thats just business what your talking about. Its not unheard of for a business to mock/make their own version of a competitors while still offering a unique experience. The factor is Sony has the things their best known for and now are tapping into what nin/ms is known for to further the experience on their devices/Platforms.

Theres really nothing wrong with that and is an obvious business practice across the board. Its like calling the sky blue when everyones standing outside looking at it.

13. absolutezero

Why not play to the strengths of the platform and create something akin to a cross between Anarchy Reigns and Power Stone?

Fuck that. Lets just rip off an already emplaced style wholesale and pretend its our own.

14. lexph3re

So rip off one style but not another? Right f logic

15. OlderGamer

I don’t think it is a bad thing mind you. I am not putting Sony down for doing it. But I think it is pretty obvious what Sony are trying to do. And your very right Lex, i agree, just the way the bizz works.