Gotham City Impostors F2P trailer file pops up on Steam database registry

Wednesday, 29th August 2012 14:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Gotham City Impostors could be going free-to-play, if an update in the Steam database registry is any indication.

According to the database registry at marlamin.com, there’s a entry called “Gotham City Impostors F2P Trailer”, and while Warner hasn’t announced free-to-play plans for the competitive shooter, as G4 notes, Steam database updates are “pretty much gospel for this sort of thing.”

Gotham City Impostors was released in February this year on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

We’ll send a mail and ask.

1. Pytox

but will it still require shitty gfwl?

2. ManuOtaku

I am enjoying this game on the 360 from quite some time now, since the very beginning, which has a few important problems, but they fix it almost a moth later of the release, and now i do find it fresh, with vertical gameplay(like no other), a lot of playing styles with cool and very different weapons and gadgets, really is my favorite multiplayer FPS ,keep in mind i have play halo, battlefield (BC and the main series), call of duty, and now counter strike and team fortress on the 360, and for me is the best experience so far, this without including PC FPS of course, i dont play on PC.

3. SplatteredHouse

If I were announcing this kind of thing, for this sort of game, I’d probably choose to do so at a big, open gaming event. :) This was probably intended for a reveal at, or during PAX Prime.

4. Yoshi

@1 Dear lord I hope not. I tried playing this before with a mate and it was terrible, couldn’t find a game or join each other.

5. DSB

@4 Yeah. The studio certainly paid the price for that.

It was a total failure by design (or by GFWL, specifically) and it’s a real shame. The game had a lot of potential.

The same thing happened to Signal Studios when they had to bring over Toy Soldiers.

Apparently GFWL is so broken that they had to cut the multiplayer alltogether. They’re going with Steamworks for the next game.

I haven’t even bothered to try the multiplayer in Iron Brigade.

6. deadstoned

Big fucking suprise, it was obvously built as a F2P game before it went out the door. Was harsh to charge as full retail game then switch soon after release.

Also it uses GFWL, so they can go FUCK THEMSELVES.

7. NeoSquall

Well, in the end Gotham City Impostors Free-to-Play just popped up on Steam, replacing the old GCP page (can’t access it right now) and already offering a bunch of DLC.

I’m a bit pissed off because I have purchased the original game and got nothing “for the pain” on the F2P one, or so it seems because I’m still downloading the client, but I’m still happy if Monolith finally got rid of GfWL in favor of Steamworks.
    Just don’t expect me to purchase anything if I’m not interested.