Guild Wars 2: a noob’s journey – part one

Monday, 27th August 2012 12:24 GMT By Dave Cook

Guild Wars 2 is out tomorrow, but VG247′s Dave Cook has been playing it over the weekend. He was essentially an MMO virgin, but now he’s starting to understand the hype. Join him on his quest for enlightenment.

I never play MMO games. It’s not because I think they look rubbish or I subscribe to that worn view that MMO players are sad, lonely people. Let’s face it, that old stereotype has been wide of the mark since forever, but it’s more that my rig has always been crap. Really crap.

Whenever I bought a new PC or laptop they were weak, low spec paperweights that existed purely for work, never play. However, during my university years I did – foolishly – dabble in two MMOS. First I played Final Fantasy XI as I’m a long-time fan of the series.

That was perhaps the most painful three months of my life. I felt like everyone playing Final Fantasy XI and the developers were laughing at me, in on some horrible joke that I wasn’t aware of. It was crushingly hard, and so, I bailed.

Next was RF Online, which was actually kind of cool. It had warriors, it had questing and it had mechs. It was fun, but I just couldn’t commit whenever I had to start being places at specific times to meet my comrades online. That’s where I drew the line.

I never want games to dictate my life, because I see them as on-demand entertainment that I can dip in and out of whenever I get bored or need to unwind. The collaborative side of MMOs felt like a part-time job to me.

But after playing Guild Wars 2 over the weekend, I’m finally starting to get the appeal.

This is my journey.

Saturday 25th August: Charr warrior, Levels 1-8

After battling through the EU server problems that hit Guild Wars 2 hard on Saturday I finally managed to log in to the game and began making my character. Whenever I make an RPG character, they’re always a human warrior with a beard that sort of looks like mine, but not really.

I decided to be adventurous and make a Charr warrior instead. The idea of being a mage and quickly selecting the correct cocktail of buffs and offensive magic in the heat of battle has always sounded too stressful to me. I just prefer to hit things until they die from it.

Here’s my character Fastrez – username fastrez.5140 if you want to add him to your contact list. He looks like a savage brute, but he’s a proud, noble warrior who will die for his Warband. You can find him on the EU server Gunnar’s Hold. Come say hi if you’re ever in his neighbourhood.

After making Fastrez I was hurled head-first into Tyria, the world of Guild Wars 2. The story focuses on a time of unease, as a pack of ancient dragons has awoken and begun terrorising the populace. Every race has put old disputes to rest, and has bandied together to fight this common enemy

I knew about the overarching plot from Guild Wars 2 previews I’d written before, but what I didn’t realise is that players must start their quest in their race’s native land, dealing with smaller issues at home before heading out into the wild world.

Fastrez was first tasked with protecting the plains of Ashford from an army of attacking ghosts, and as I charged head-first into the battle alongside about 30 other human players, I had to admit: Even though this was the game’s tutorial, I was already confused.

I just ran in towards my enemies swinging my sword blindly by clicking the attack icon as fast as I could – unaware that standard attacks are actually automatic, idiot – and just hit the buggers until they died. Victory!

But I was still confused. Was I sharing experience with these other human players? What about loot? What I didn’t realise at the time was that, while MMOs can be overwhelming, Guild Wars 2 operates on a ‘trust us, you’ll get it if you just do what we say’ basis.

I was over-thinking things from the start, which I now realise was a dumb thing to do. Once the tutorial battle was over I was then given free reign to just accept quests and explore as I saw fit. Panic set in as I checked the world map and saw about a million HUD markers I didn’t recognise.

It looked like this:

The hearts on the map are side quests that range from defending a set area from waves of enemies, travelling off to an instance somewhere to fight a boss, or by gathering supplies. The range of tasks is pretty neat and the more I did, the sheer scale of Tyria became less daunting.

That was until I zoomed all the way out and saw the true size of the map:

That still isn’t even half of Tyria, and I zoomed as far out as I could to take this picture. This is what worried me about MMOs in the past. When will I ever have enough time to see all of that map from the ground?

But, in the name of opening my mind, I soldiered on. After an hour or two of whacking wildlife to bits for loot, running small errands and successfully defending a steampunk workshop from raiders, I finally started to understand the appeal of Guild Wars 2 and other MMO games.

It all clicked when I realised I never had to schedule an online meeting with friends in order to overcome a tough area or enemy. Again, because I don’t like the idea of games dictating my life.

In fact, you get rather tough pretty quickly in this game so – I think – you can see everything this game has to offer solo if you wish. It’s just a bonus if some other player happens to be nearby and decides to help you in a fight.

There was also the time when I was down by the lake in Ashford Plains, helping a local fisherman clean out traps so he could catch more fish. All of a sudden a large lizard emerged from the lake bed and started beating me up with minimal effort.

‘I’m done for’, I thought, ‘This is Final Fantasy XI’s crushing brutality all over again! FML!!’ But unprompted, about six total strangers who weren’t in a group together rushed over to my aid and helped me defeat the beast.

Everyone got the same XP, everyone got loot and we all lived to fight another day. That’s the beauty of Guild Wars 2 – you always get some sort of reward for helping others, but you’re never obliged to lend a hand.

Another thing I had really grown to enjoy by this point was that combat isn’t just a case of clicking on an enemy and watching as your character automatically fights them. To me, that is soul crushingly boring.

Instead, Guild Wars 2 is a halfway house between MMO and hack n’ slash combat. You have to keep focused on your actions and tap out combos to earn bonus XP during fights. As a fan of fighting games, I appreciate the method ArenaNet has gone for.

I kept on playing for about another three hours after that incident. I progressed the story, exposed an inept commander and took his job, aided the Charr leader Rytlock in the war effort and more. I felt useful.

Personally, I levelled up a lot – I now own decent armour and a brutal axe, as well as a set of powerful new moves and buffs. I wasn’t sure what any of it did at first, but again, after a little practice I’m now I’m wasting enemies with ease. I’m really starting to understand everything.

By this point the tables had turned. I was now up to level eight and helping other new players I encountered in the world, because I knew how they felt wading into such a big and busy place for the first time. Again, I felt useful.

So what comes next for the mighty Charr warrior Fastrez? Well, I’ve now become leader of my own warband, a proud pack of warriors that help me when playing story missions. But beyond the story I’m simply venturing a little further into Tyria each day.

I’m yet to join a guild, play multiplayer or explore beyond the safety of the Charr homeland. I think to really understand and get inside the MMO mindset, I’ll have to start interacting with other humans properly soon.

After all, they don’t call it ‘Massively Multiplayer’ because it’s a single player game now do they?

Check back on Monday, September 3, for part two of Guild Wars 2: A Noob’s Journey

1. silkvg247

I’m also a newbie to the game.

One of the cool things a guildy pointed out was how you can store any craft mats in the “collectable” tab, even send them all there en masse anywhere in the world (click the cog in top right of inventory to do it).

So tradeskills are no longer annoying as they don’t fill up your bank slots. I’ve gone with chef and huntsman.

Another cool thing is how you can unlock rewards by doing achievements.. I spent an hour getting the full exploration of my home town.

I also like how you can change the colours of your gear at any point (dye icon on character sheet).

2. mad1723

Gotta agree Dave, that feeling when everyone comes together out of nowhere for an event is very nice.I was in a fight earlier and an event started. All of a sudden, we were 12-15 fighting for the same objective, that was mind boggling. That’s what I want my MMO to be like, not a big spreadsheet with graphics. I want collaboration without effort, epic fights without epic hurdles :)

3. Dave Cook

@2 Absolutely what you just said :) I was like, ‘woah’ we’re actually all working together here instead of being selfish lone wolves. You feel like part of something bigger. Add me up if you’re ever on Gunnar’s Hold.

4. mad1723

@3 unfortunately, I’m on the Americas server, on DarkHaven, TekMad.1732 if anyone is part of that server :)

But I’ll sure read the rest of your story as I am myself doing some progression roughly at the same rythm :)

5. Dave Cook

@4 Hey thanks :) I thought it’d be interesting to keep a journal of my progress as someone who has actively avoided MMOs in the past. I’m really liking Guild Wars 2 though, very happy with it.

6. viralshag

Currently a 22 Asura Necromancer on Blacktide. :p

7. GrimRita

Well the game is just vast! On land, under water – its huge! WvW is a slow grind, so I have focused on levelling today. The only real pain in the arse is that the Auction House is STILL offline and I have no spare pockets. I’ve even made 4 toons just for storage!!!!

8. OlderGamer

I just bought my copy, downloading it now. Wanted to wait, was sensible. But couldn’t stand not playing it. So broke down and bought it.

9. TheWulf

One of my favourite parts of it are the events, too. I recently created yet another new character (I’m trying out all the professions) and one thing that really pleased me when out in the world is the attitude of other players. It was genuinely refreshing and unlike anything else I’ve ever played. In most MMORPGs, the attitude tends to be ‘get lost, noob.’ Oddly that’s not what I experienced in GW2.

If people see that you’re a low level and out of your depth in an event in GW2, they actively try to help you out. When my charr Mesmer was doing a certain escort mission and trying to offer as much support as possible, I had a very capable group who crowded around me and got me up every time I fell. It’s a very unusual and uncommon feeling of camaraderie.

It feels good.

In most MMORPGs I’ve played, I see people hating on each other. Hating for resource node stealing, for objective stealing, for mob stealing. But these things can’t happen in Guild Wars 2. For instance – objective and node items are instanced to the player, not the world, and anyone who fights a mob gets equal rewards for it. Two players can fight a mob and both can get loot.

I’ll give you a funny example. In one mission I had to collect scrap to give to a charr so that he could build a mortar to deal with ghosts. So this one guy and I ran to the same scrap pile and we both grabbed a piece of scrap from it. For a moment, we both stood around confused as to why this worked for both of us. Then I remembered – Guild Wars 2. And I was greatly amused. So I explained the notion of player instancing of objective and node items to him.

Other people noticed this explanation, so what happened then is we had people shouting “Hey, thing to pick up over here!” and everyone crowding around them. It was tremendously entertaining, amusing, and yes, it just felt good. When was the last time you saw players working together like that in a game? Usually MMMORPGs teach you that the world is a dog-eat-dog world and that everyone is out to get you, so the lone quester usually hates having other people around. Guild Wars 2 is a stark contrast to that.

It feels kind of like when you have a friend who’s been playing a game for a bit who’s looking out for you. Except most players are behaving like this because the game encourages it. There’s even an achievement track for resurrecting people, and I believe you get XP/karma for doing it as well (not sure on the karma, but I know you get XP).

It just feels good.

It’s nice to have one online game which isn’t a massively isolationist game filled with hermits. It’s nice to play alongside other people rather than against them all the time. That is one of GW2′s greatest strengths.

10. TheWulf

Another great moment was when (again in an event) a warrior dropped a banner and basically said here, have fun with that.

Okay! Says I, as I pick it up and run around with it as a Mesmer, having absolutely no idea what I’m doing with it. I’ve been dropped various things, too. Like Elementalist hammers and whatnot. But the best was definitely the banner. I was running around and planting it wherever people seemed to be in trouble, since a banner provides boons and stuff in an area.

And it’s hilarious because I think once again someone took pity on me being a low level Mesmer and trying to bite off more than I could chew, so I made myself useful in other ways!

It’s great that the game has systems like that in it.

So I was a level 3 Mesmer in a level 8-10 event, and I was being useful by relocating this banner to wherever it looked like it was needed. And that felt pretty great. The game just seems to be designed to do this, so that people work together and everyone feels like they have a purpose.

11. Len

So, I am a total mmo noob, never played any as they just look like a borefest to me (click, click, grind, grind) but but but this and the stories I am hearing are really appealing.

What are my chances of liking this? Worth a punt?

12. TheWulf

It really depends on what you want. The personal storylines are more like single player RPGs in some respects and choices you make in them are permanent and will reflect your character’s storyline as you progress through the game. For example, a choice may reflect which war member your charr warband gets, or you may choose whether you save an orphanage or a hospital in a fire. That sort of thing.

Also, the events are really great. It’s unlike usual MMORPGs where everyone’s on their own, isolationist, and they go to the ! people, collect their shopping list, go out gathering their kills, then return to the ? people. Instead, you see things happening in the world, and people pour in to stop these things from happening.

One example I can give you is that there’s one event where you have to clear out tar elementals within a short period. If you fail to stop them within that period, then you have to clean up the tar that’s fouled the lake. And people can group together in order to do things like this. You may have to put out a fire, or use a cattle prod to get cows back into a stable. And then you may have to use mortar cannons to fight a dragon.

All of this happens out in the open world and can attract large numbers of players. So it’s really not anything like MMORPGs that have come before it. It’s a blast. You miiiight like it. I know I do. I can’t 100 per cent guarantee that you’ll like it, but I can say that it’s eminently better than any MMORPG that’s come before it.

13. Len

Thanks Wulf, sound intriguing and appealing like I said. It’s the idea of everyone coming together to assist rather than hinder or ignore that I like.

I’ve never really been in to rpgs either up until Demon and Dark Souls (more action rpgs I appreciate) which I really enjoyed. Tastes changing with age and a weariness with endless shooting maybe?

Maybe I should give this a go…

14. Phoenixblight

Do not play this game for their “personal” story they are the worst aspect of the game. I am not even sure why they even put those in game. It feels tacked on like an unwanted step child.

15. Yoshi

Would you be kind enough to record a full quest or something. I’m so on the edge and I just need something to tip me over to buying it :) and reviews will be a while yet as they need a week or so to give impressions.

16. Len

Good plan Yoshi! That would be great….

17. TheWulf

Depends on what you play. The Guru, Insider, and a bunch of other forums say that some storylines are weak, whereas others are brilliant. The charr legion storylines, in particular, are truly excellent. So it depends on what you’ve played. But speaking for myself, and not objectively (as I’m not stupid enough to do that), I can say that I enjoyed the charr storylines.

They had a strong narrative and they linked the missions together quite well. my engineer ended up doing a tower defence mission at level 10 because of this in his personal storyline, and that was seriously fun as it was good tower defence. I got to place troops and turrets in order to stave off a ghost invasion.

So it’s genuinely dependent on what you play.

18. TheWulf

You can find plenty of Let’s Play stuff on Youtube. I recommend TotalBiscuit as he’s often honest. In fact, he’s known for his cynicism and he tends to pick up on every little negative aspect, so he tends to provide a fair view of things. His review account on Youtube is ‘totalhalibut,’ so if you search ‘totalhalibut guild wars 2′ then you should find enough to satisfy you and give you an idea.

19. Len

If I were to take the plunge is anyone playing in the US and if so where as would be good to meet up with some old hands to show me the ropes!

20. Phoenixblight

Played all of the Non humans up to 12 and I can say that they are all sub-par at best. I would have just gutted that part of the game and added it when it is done, completely polished and thought out.

21. TheWulf

I guess it’s down to opinion, then. I’ve seen opinions that both agree and disagree with that. I had an absolute blast with the Iron Legion storyline and that’s all I can tell you. At this point I can but shrug.

Stick to the dynamic events and ignore the personal storyline, then? As for me, I’m looking forward to my Vigil storyline.

Reddit has a thread on that somewhere… guh. I’m not sure where I saw that. But all of the servers had an even spread with various communities; like reddit, Penny Arcade, and so on. I’m personally on Sorrow’s Furnace, which is the tumblr server.

22. Dave Cook

@16 I’m pretty sure Sam is recording something from the game this week, so stay tuned :)

23. Yoshi

@19 I’m not a fan of TotalBiscuit at all and he doesn’t seem to have the same genuine gaming views as me. Can’t remember which game it was but he completely ripped on it, condemning it to be 100% shit but I played it before his review and all the stuff he complained about was a load of nonsense… It’s like going into Sleeping Dogs and pinning everything bad on the karaoke optional minigame. It’s optional, it’s perfectly fine, it works and no one is forcing you to do it more than once so what’s the problem.

@23 Ahh awesome thanks :D Hopefully it’ll be out soon then

24. TheWulf

Fair enough. That’s just a disagreement regarding commentaries, then. Some are very harsh. It’s like whether or not you can stand Yahtzee Croshaw because he’s equally harsh. It’s one of those people where you go to them for the negatives. If indeed there are any negatives. That way you can balance things out for a more rounded view of a game. I don’t necessarily think that’s bad unless they’re full of shit. And in the case of both Croshaw and TotalBiscuit, I don’t think they are.

But that’s just my opinion. There are others out there, though. Yogscast, for example, has done some stuff. I’m not so much a fan of them because they goof off a lot and don’t provide a lot of useful thoughts and opinions. But that might be more of what you want. There are other commentators who’ve uploaded things to Youtube as well.

So just having a nose around Youtube might find you some of what you want, even if not from the sources I’ve suggested.

25. viralshag

Liking the game but the price of one additional character slot is crazy, it’s basically a months sub for one additional character slot.

Edit: this applies more to me because I love alts and I don’t have the patience to get the gold together. It’s a neat system I guess, a lot like LoL.

I have to say I’ve warmed up to the game a little more now but there are still some issues. I really wish there was some way to buy additional weapon skills as a lot of the skill point abilities are kinda cappy and rather boring.

The world design is great and the same applies to enemy design too.

26. OlderGamer

Shaky thus far for me. Things just don’t feel intuitive. Esp the world/quest system. I always take time to warm up to a game, well most of the time. But it is kind of like being droped off in sea and some says swim.

But I see some nice ideas. And see some potential. But lots of things also need smoothing out.

27. TheWulf

Weren’t you always the one who was with me on wanting to be dropped into a sea of something incredibly different? Whilst it might have been words for you, I meant it and I stand by it. I love having familiarity stripped away and playing something so different that I don’t immediately know how to do everything ever.

Total familiarity is fucking boring.

28. GwynbleiddiuM

No end game, enough to turn many off. And events are not something that hadn’t been done in the past, look at Rift for example. I will check it out though, as it’s harder to play WoW these days and you can connect to GW servers without a workaround atm. Maybe after I’m done leveling my 3DKs one of my paladins and another toon to the max in MoP. But not sure if I’m gonna be satisfied, I want raids and I wanna kill big badass bosses and loot their lifeless corpse for spoils.

29. OlderGamer

The thing is wulf, gaming isn’t new.

Games are the way they are because pubs and gamers know what they like. Familirity isn’t an evil word. If something is common and familier that could just mean it works. Being differet for the sake of it is often counter productive.

CoD is the same game year after year because it works. WoW is the biggest western mmo because people like it. Just food for thought.

The game just launched, my opinion will likly be fluid for a few days till I get a good feel for the thing. It is just my quick first impression. Ever have one of those games where everything grabs you and makes you very excited? I get like that with NCAA Football, Civilization, Titan Quest, Torchlight II. GW2 didn’t do that for me. Diablo III didn’t either, but I have put a ton of time into it. And I have enjoyed the over whelming majority of those hours.

Some advice, stop defending a video game to the point where you are trying to convince anyone that will listen, that the game is the best thing scince tetris. Let people discuss the game themself. Some will have favorable views, some won’t.

I think it is decent game. I am just not blown away, it didn’t grab me. I think Rift is better. But with zero sub fee, i will keep playing and what i think my evolve over time. So many things I have yet to experience, I just started today after all. And I said that.

30. Yoshi

@25 Ohh I love Yahtzee, he’ll genuinely say if it’s good or not. And if he thinks it’s bad he can actually give valid reasoning behind why he thinks that. TB on the other hand, I find just babbles a load of rubbish if he doesn’t like it. Don’t get me wrong he isn’t the worst out there but I’m definitely not a fan of TB’s work anymore.

31. Ireland Michael

@31 Yahtzee is an intentionally controversial whiner. There is absolutely nothing honest about his opinion. He plays a character. None of it is genuine.

Your reasoning for disliking TB’s work is hilarious, and essentially boils down to “I didn’t agree with him on something”. Why would you spend your life only listening to people who share the same views as you? Thats not only narrow minded, but really, really boring.

32. DSB

Agreement or disagreement is always going to taint how you think, but I don’t really get Total Biscuit either. What I’ve seen of his stuff has been just like any other “Watch me play stuff while I ramble about it”-Youtube video.

I think Yahtzee is a great reviewer, but his videos just get annoying once the novelty wears off.

Generally I think any games writer who actually dares to critisize the games on his desk, or the people who make them, becomes elevated beyond their ability to write or argue, simply because there are so many others who do nothing but shower games with adoration, or try to skim past their fuck-ups, however many there may be.

The fact that someone actually lifts their responsibility as a critic has somehow become an admirable quality in a games writer, instead of being something that is simply required to become one in the first place.

33. TheWulf

Now I just have to call shenanigans. I think you’ve found you’re bad at the game because it requires skill and you’re lashing out at it. It’s not like Amalur where you can just mash buttons, is it? It requires spatial awareness and tactics to play.

Differences from prior MMORPGs include:

- Combat: Basics

Most MMORPGs: You stand there and spam your rotation.

Guild Wars 2: You can’t just stand there and spam buttons. If you do you’ll either use the wrong skills which will make the game harder for you, since you need to know when to use certain skills, or you’ll just stand in the middle of a subtly telegraphed AoE. You have to keep on your toes, be alert, and pick your skills well.

- Combat: Skills

Most MMORPGs: You buy skills from a trainer which fill up a bar or a number of bars.

Guild WArs 2: You earn skill points by doing things in the world, by completing challenges or finding hidden things. You also get skills based upon the weapons you equip, each weapon having a vastly different style of play, this collapsing the classes down into further subclasses based upon the weapon they’re using.

- Combat: Mana

Most MMORPGs: Spamming is such a problem that mana is necessary to offer some challenge.

Guild Wars 2: Spamming isn’t even relevant in GW2 if you want to play well, therefore mana was completely removed.

- Combat: Aggro

Most MMORPGs: You have a class that can taunt, they pull aggro to themselves and then they just stand there whilst something beats upon them.

Guild Wars 2: There is no aggro. Monsters are intelligent and go after easy targets. Therefore, the people who think of themselves as ‘tanks’ (which aren’t always heavily armoured people) have to keep the mobs busy with conditions dealing. By knocking them over, or doing things like confusing or blinding them. Therefore throwing down chaff and distractions and keeping them away from their preferred targets.

- Combat: Healing

Most MMORPGs: You have a dedicated healer. They sit there and spam their heal rotations.

Guild Wars 2: You have no dedicated healer. Every class has a healing ability which is either a self-heal or an AoE. You can’t target another person and heal them, that doesn’t exist in Guild Wars 2. Everyone is responsible for managing their own heath by healing themselves and either using or moving into healing AoEs when they’re hurt. Everyone is responsible for dodging and getting out of harm’s way if they’re hurt.

- Questing

Most MMORPGs: You go to a bunch of people with !s over their heads, collecting a shopping list, then you must go out and collect the shopping list. Once you have your entire shopping list, you return to the people with ?s over their heads and hand them in.

Guild Wars 2: You just get out into the world and have fun, you do stuff that’s relevant to the area you’re in. If you find you don’t like a task, you find something else to do. Most areas have multiple tasks for you to do, and multiple ways for you to achieve those tasks. You just find something that needs doing, or finds someone that needs helping, and you do it. And the world feels alive because things are always going on. See a bunch of people escoring someone? You don’t need his ! quest to join in, you just join in.

- Exploration

Most MMORPGs: Exploration is discouraged because it distracts you from the content treadmill. Invisible walls and similar are used to discourage you. In World of Warcraft, for example, Blizzard underwent a patch war versus their users to remove wall-walking, wall-jumping, and various methods that users could use to explore.

Guild Wars 2: You can wall jump, you can jump, and jumping is required. There are jumping puzzles, hidden dungeons, vistas, meta events which are triggered by you doing something in a hidden area, hidden bosses, and entire hidden areas. All of which are designed to reward the explorer. And there’s even an achievement track in place designed to reward people for finding all of these things.

- Achievements

Most MMORPGs: They either don’t have them, or it’s just a title at best.

Guild Wars 2: This game has an achievement for damn near everything, and you get more than just titles for doing achievements. You actually get tangible rewards, and even items that normally you’d have to buy from the cash shop. Like neat cosmetic rewards and things.

- Underwater

Most MMORPGs: Underwater is an empty place where developers wish you’d stop going – since you inevitably see how empty it is.

Guild Wars 2: This game has vast amounts of underwater content, including combat which is designed specifically for underwater. You get stuff like harpoon guns to use underwater. You can’t even use your regular weapons whilst underwater. And regarding exploration above, you can find some really fun things down there, in the depths. (And they are depths! There are some really deep underwater areas that I’ve explored.)

- Fun Content

Most MMORPGs: You follow a traditional path of mundane questing until you reach max level. Only THEN can you get at the meat of the game.

Guild Wars 2: You have personal storylines, renown events, dynamic events, and things like the sidekicking system where you can even take a level 1 to level 80 content if you desire. The game is designed to be end-game from start to finish, where everything is fun. And I find that that’s the case, as often I have gone back to do earlier events and things simply because I’ve enjoyed them.

- Crafting

Most MMORPGs: It’s just a time and resource sink. You rarely get anything useful from it.

Guild Wars 2: Pretty much everything you make is useful when you make it. And you can use crafting to level from level 1 to 80. Yes, you can level to 80 via crafting alone, without ever having to fight. You can be a total pacifist if you desire.

- Choice & Consequence

Most MMORPGs: Exist in a static world, only TOR has even dabbled with this.

Guild Wars 2: In GW2, if you fail a dynamic event, you can actually lose access to a town and its vendors due to it having been overrun with mobs. And those vendors might have some special items which can only be bought there. Not only this, but you get to make choices in your personal storyline which reflect how it plays out. This can be anything from choosing whether to save a hospital or orphanage when a city is burning, or which warband members you get when building your warband as a charr.

And you’re really going to say that it’s the same as everything else and overly familiar? Sorry guy, I call bull. The game is amazingly odd and original, with its own mechanics and ways of doing things.

Like I said, I think you’ve found you suck due to the combat being skill based, and now you’re lashing out. :I

34. viralshag

@OG, This is an MMO that does things differently but at the end of the day it still feels like an MMO to me.

What am I doing 95% of the time? Running around killing mobs using a set number of skills on an action bar.

35. OlderGamer

Wulf, what planet do you live on? Cause your like nothing else I have seen before lol. Did you read or understand my post?

“And you’re really going to say that it’s the same as everything else and overly familiar? Sorry guy, I call bull. The game is amazingly odd and original, with its own mechanics and ways of doing things”

Actualy I was making the case that a game that is familiar isn’t always a bad thing. I didn’t claim GW2 was the same as anything else. It is unique for sure.

Also, i wouldn’t exactly call GW2 a game that takes skill really. It still have an atuo attack feature. Go play M59, and come talk to me about a PVP based MMO RPG that takes actual skill to play. So lets disregaurd the idea that I don’t like it because I am not good at it.

And Wulf, I just started playing. I don’t know yet if I like it or not. I need to give it more time to know something like that. I was simply saying that some games I play grab me right away. Some don’t. GW2 didn’t. Rift Did, Torchlight II did. BF3 didn’t(yet I have 300+hours spent playing it). DiabloIII didn’t, yet I have a ton of hours and 4 toons over level lvl 40.

Again plan and simple as I can make this:

I never said GW2 was a bad game. I simply said it didn’t blow me away out of the gate.

But here is where your insanity is getting the better of you lol. What if I didn’t like it? How are you personialy invested in that? What does it mean to you? You spend an exhorberant amount of time and energy talking things up. I am long winded too, but I don’t tell people what to like or dislike. And I don’t put them down for their choices.

So, some folks will like GW2, some won’t what is it to you?

If you want, I might come back and give my opinion on th egame once I put enough hours into it to have a more informed opinion to give. At this point, I am working with first impressions, that is it.

The two things I don’t like right now are the way the quests unfold, I don’t like the way NPCs talk to you and each other. Seems silly, I get one NPC standing and talking to me even though that NPC is ‘possed to be sick in bed, kind of silly.

I also am not impressed with the map over view. Things aren’t laid out in a fashion I like. I have a problem keeping track of what quests I am doing and where they need me to go in order to do them.

The last thing that pops into my head is that thus far it feels like a SP rpg in a MMO world.

None of those things will keep me from enjoying the game. They keep me from adjusting to it quickly. At my age things that used to be second nature take a bit of time.

But my biggest beef, isn;t with the game, but your desire to judge people based on …what? Their opinion of the game. Just plan silly.

36. OlderGamer

@Viral, I agree with that statement. I bet at the core of it, the game isn’t all that much different then most MMOs. Just a slightly different way of presenting things and getting them done.

What I am looking forward to the most is the PVP aspects of the game. The first GW game was pretty solid in that area. And WvW could be a lot of fun.

37. absolutezero

Guild Wars?

Arena Net!

GUILD WARS!

/despair at humanity.

38. viralshag

@OG, I think when you get into it you will really start to enjoy it. Most of my mates playing admitting it took some getting use to. And you’re spot on, it’s got all of the standard MMO features, as listed in the post above, just with a different take on it all.

I will happily admit they have really I proved on some things such as inventory management and crafting. Crafting is a blast.

39. absolutezero

I have to wait till 9am tomorrow to make my leafy plant face girl. Unfair. Its the 28th right now!

ENTITLEMENT!

40. DSB

I had to jump in too :P

The exposition is awesome, the world is awesome, the interface is terrible, and I feel pretty silly playing an asura thief.

The race intros go pretty far to pigeonhole you into a certain role.

It looks to me like an example of a really good remix of the traditional MMO. It doesn’t go any further, it just hides the shortcomings much better than the rest.

So far so good though. Although leaving endgame out is a pretty big minus.

41. Ireland Michael

Hey Wulf, wanna come write for me? =P

42. Dave Cook

@40 I laughed at ‘ENTITLEMENT!’ :p well played

43. Yoshi

@32 Sure Yahtzee plays a character to a certain extent but he does also give a genuine review and says if it’s good or bad even if it is clouded by jokes. It has nothing to do with “I don’t agree with him so he’s bad”, TB reviewed a game, talked a load of rubbish and made something big out of something so small it was pathetic. Even worse than GT and IGN’s reviews and how they’re both biased as fuck. It’s like me saying “NO DON’T GO TO VG247.com BECAUSE THE WEBSITE HAS ADS!!!”… it’s just a pathetic reason.