Broken Sword 5 from Revolution Software is the latest Kickstarter

Thursday, 23rd August 2012 14:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Broken Sword: The Serpents Curse is in development from Revolution Software, and the firm is asking for $400,000 on Kickstarter to fund it. The game is a new, original, Broken Sword game by Charles Cecil which upon successful finding and development will release on Android, iOS, Mac and PC in early 2013. The pitch video is below. The project has 29 days left and already, 1,215 backers have pledged $56,225.

1. Ireland Michael

That does look great, and this might just be the first Kickstarter I would ever consider funding… but I can’t help but find it hard to believe that they can’t fund this themselves, considering the progress they’ve made already.

2. unacomn

@1 It’s not that they can’t raise the funds themselves, it’s that doing so would tie a few strings to that money, like distribution, ownership, gameplay elements and all sorts of stuff people that finance things meddle with.

This way, it’s just us financing a game we are most eager to play.

Can I get a “Hell yea” high five? o/

3. Old MacDonald

\o

4. Ireland Michael

\o

5. Man_s

Broken Sword? 2D? Take my money!

6. TheWulf

I’ve Kickstarted a few things, all of which have been absolutely amazing. Some of which have offered me demos for getting in on the ground floor. It’s incredible to watch so many great games being developed, and being in on that. The most recent one being a fresh take on the Phoenix Wright genre called Detective Grimoire (for iOS/PC/Mac). And I’m definitely looking forward to that.

KickStarter is definitely something that deserves more attention, there’s a lot of great stuff there, innovative stuff. But I suppose it’s like what TotalBiscuit said, most people don’t want innovation or cleverness, they just want the same old, same old.

Anyway, I did like the original Broken Sword games, but a lot of whether I’ll have any interest in this or not depends on who they’re pulling in to help out with it. I’ve seen no mention of Steve Ince yet, which is worrisome. That’s a name they could have dropped to leave me feeling more sure.

But yes, these guys don’t really need my money. They wouldn’t have much trouble finding a publisher for something more well established. It is a shame though that only the really popular/well known stuff gets media time.

7. Man_s

#6 Thanks for sharing Detective Grimoire with the rest of us. Looks incredibly interesting. Although the Kickstarter campaign has already ended (successfully it seems), I’ll be on the lookout for that game for sure.

8. Stardog

I’d donate if the art style was like the original games.

Why go 3D if it just looks worse? It doesn’t even look like George Stobbart. The Dave Gibbons art from the handheld versions wasn’t good, either.

The characters look far better at 46 seconds when they switch to 2d…