Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is overwhelmingly busy in new trailer

Wednesday, 15th August 2012 11:12 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed looks colourful and family-friendly in these screenshots, but the trailer tells a different story. One you might want to put your shades on for.

It sort of looks like a pinata giving birth to a dragon while Sonic tapdances in the amniotic fluid at a high enough speed to start fires with his pointy little sneakers, doesn’t it? Not something you’d care to confrint hungover in case it made you need to lie down and have a cry. You’d need all your wits (and unfettered synaptic response) to cope with this overload of on-screen action.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed arrives on 3DS, PlayStation 3, Vita and Xbox 360 in November, with a PC and Wii U release undated. Thanks gamescom for this new gameplay footage.

1. SplatteredHouse

How great is that! Not only does it look strong in visuals, but it also looks like a lot of fun to play. Sumo keep their winning form for Sega!

2. ManuOtaku

I did like the first game, and based on the above pictures, i think this game will surpass it, now one thing i didnt like about the first game was the drifting mechanics, for me was a little bit floaty for my tastes, i hope they improve it on this game.

3. DSB

Yeah. I think it’s safe to say that Mario Kart 53, or whatever number they’re slapping on the back these days, can go die in a fire :P

4. Da Man

One of the reasons I decided against the Wii purchase was because Mario Kart went multi platform. And now it gets a sequel.

5. OlderGamer

Does this game have four player split screen?

6. TheWulf

I was a huge fan of the first and I hope that they can follow it in good form for the second. The first, for me, became the new Mario Kart, because Nintendo has been letting that stagnate and rot, whereas this felt fresh, new, and interesting. Plus it was available for the PC.

I’m definitely up for grabbing the sequel to this, considering that it continues the trend of great visuals and interesting, new mechanics rather than letting the series go stale.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Mario Kart though and its characters, but I have to say, it’s better for me on the count that I tend to prefer Sega characters, too. They have more life and personality to them, they always did, and the characters in this racer bring back a lot of fond memories. I can’t say that Mario Kart ever did that, so much.

7. Gadzooks!

My problem with S&S racing was the speed. Mario Kart has a great pace IMO, and I feel much more in control. S&S was a bit too breakneck for my liking. That could just be my oldness creeping in though ;)

Problem with MK for me, at least in the Wii version, was the powerups. They could randomise the race order too readily.

The best balance I’ve found so far, for me at least, is Joyride Turbo. It’s not got the charm of S&S or MK, but the gameplay is nicely balanced and paced. Massive, massive improvement on the awful first game.

Will certainly try a demo of this, but I’d need 4 player splitscren to consider a purchase. Karting is squarely in the party game zone for me.

8. OlderGamer

I am in the same situation as Gad. Too fast and need Split Screen. The first game(On PC, as is often the case) was SP only. Which is why I asked.

9. ManuOtaku

Guys a Sonic game should be fast, be it a racer, a fighter or a farmer sim, is his trademark, it wouldnt make sense otherwise ;).

10. DSB

OG isn’t comfortable with anything faster than an electric scooter :P

11. OlderGamer

lol good point.

12. Gadzooks!

#9

Thats true, Im not saying it should be any other way. It’s my problem, not the game’s. :)