Vita “having a more difficult time” securing publisher support, says Yoshida

Friday, 10th August 2012 02:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has said Sony is having difficulties attracting third-party publishers to its new handheld console.

Speaking to OPM, as reported by IGN, Yoshida said Sony is “having a more difficult time than [they] had anticipated in terms of getting support from third-party publishers”.

“But that’s our job,” he added.

The executive noted that Sony is “very happy with the hardware and platform” and described the Vita as “an amazing gaming experience”, but noted that the market is always changing.

“Because of the growth of the social/mobile sector, lots of opportunities are being presented to publishers to choose from, and because the social/mobile side is the growing sector in terms of the business now, they are very quickly shifting their development resources to be part of that growing market,” he said.

“It’s very easy to develop content on PS Vita. More content and more games is the number one priority that we have to realize Vita’s potential,” he said.

Sony chose to hide Vita sales figures in its last financial report, but revised its sales forecast of ortabl games from 16 million to 12 million, suggesting it hasn’t performed as well as hoped.

Thanks, Shack.

1. lexph3re

Hey Sony. You secured the people who desperately wanted your device. Go ahead and drop the price by 25-50 bucks compete directly with your competitors and let the developers roll in. Although I’m sure your waiting till after CoD and Assassins creed drops you might as well just take the leap

2. Dragon246

A price drop before holiday season would be great.

3. loveaya

I bought my 1st PS2 in 2003; I bought my first PSP in 2008; I bought my PS3 in 2010. I always waited until a lot of interesting and treffic games have been on a console.

So for Vita, maybe never. I’ve really regretted buying 2 PSP just for T3B.

PSP did very well in Japan because of the support of Japanese publishers. But did well in Western but got worse and worse because of lack of games.

Vita? Any support from 3rd party publishers? Maybe SONY has not been yet ready for launching Vita as it’s totally crap which i mean the sales of SONY group.

4. SuperGuyverUSA

Man, I could have swore that last year, there were tons of games on the way. I mean everything was perfect, the price was good, the games looked great, and the system itself proved to be amazing. What happened?

5. Erthazus

@4, “What happened?”

they forgot to secure device with games after Launch Day.

Yeah, launch line-up was super awesome and device is still really good but times go forward and device is getting old with no games. Not even enough ports…

I still have mine to this day as a piece of garbage already. No one wants to buy my Portstation Vita, but I still wait for games on it.

6. DrDamn

Yep agree. A price drop to increase user base would be a lot of help. That’s going to be a big consideration for third party support – how big is my market.

One point I found really interesting …
    “Yoshida sees strong potential for the handheld as a pltform for “smaller, independent developers”.”

More of this please. I like that it can do bigger games for when I can’t get to a TV console but this is an area it could really excel in. We are already seeing some great smaller games like Snapshot and Sound Shapes coming through. Plus this yesterday …

If Vita lives through these sort of games rather than the big blockbusters I’d be happy with that. Sony may not be but I would :).

7. manamana

Yeah that’s why Nintendo is also struggeling to sell their Handheld with no support from Capcom, Konami or … oh wait!

8. OlderGamer

Typical Sony. Typical outdated biz model. Let me explain:

Sony has been putting together fantastic pieces of hardware. Lots of advanced tech(compared to their competition), lots of great features. System that should impress and please gamers. I am talking about PS3 and Vita. But the problem is that because of all the uberness of the hardware, Sony keeps missing the mass market price points.

Both PS3 and Vita have over priced launches. Please Sony figure this out before you do the samething with PS4.

The outdated biz model is in relying too much on 3rd parties to provide your support and games. If no one put out a single 3DS game besides Nintendo, the system would still sell. And because 3DS can sell on its own, 3rd parties understand that the platform will be such where as releasing their own games makes a lot of sense.

I fully believe that in order to support a platform and make the platform atractive to 3rd parties, you must be able to support your platform w/o their help if need be. I point to the Wii as an example. We all know that most of the big name pubs didn’t focus on it, and yet it the system and its (nintendo 1st party games) sold so well they set records.

At this point, certianly the Vita has lost any momentum it may have had. A price cut is vital to moving units. The price cut has to bring Vita down to 150usd-200usd. And the 200usd sku should include a game. But even if it starts to sell, I wonder if 3rd parties will come back if they have already decided to leave. I think Sony needs to prove that they can sustain sales momentium.

Time will tell.

9. Da Man

There’s nothing ‘advanced’, ‘fantastic’ or having ‘great features’ in any of their consoles, when compared to ‘competition’. Regardless of PS Lifestyle.

If anything, their business model is better now.

10. OlderGamer

Stop DM. The difference between me and you is that, even if I don’t use something, I know quality when I see it. All your going to do bash and troll. If you hate Sony, fine, move along.

I don’t own a Vita, but I know the system is a high quality system. I have played around with one a bit, it is truely a nice piece of hardware. Better, imo, then 3DS. But when I get ready to buy a handhaeld, I will prolly buy a 3DS. That doesn’t mean I can’t see Vita for what it is.

PS3 when it launched, fully featured, was an amazing system. It just wasn’t worth the 600usd plus I paid for mine at the time.

11. Christopher Jack

Drop the price, shove your own recognized franchises on it, somehow force PS2 games on there & make the third parties interested.

12. DrDamn

Agree with most of that. I think they have got a very good model for games in place with the Vita though, just not the console sales to back it up. Lots of price points and options for publishers, the kit is very easy and quick to develop for and there are some great cross platform opportunities to exploit. Needs more units sold and that equals a sizeable price drop.

13. G1GAHURTZ

Nothing whatsoever to do with price points or business models.

It’s basically a home console that you hold in your hands.

Why is anyone going to spend $10m developing a Vita game, when they can make an iOS/Android game at a fraction of that cost, with a only a handful of people and potentially make bigger profits?

It’s about dev costs… He clearly explained this:

14. DrDamn

“But even if it starts to sell, I wonder if 3rd parties will come back if they have already decided to leave.”

They will go where the units are and where they feel they can sell best into the available units. The second part works against Nintendo in part because why would third parties develop for a huge user base if that user base is already buying a load of Nintendo product.

15. Da Man

Old man, you used words which usually imply techy advantages or some kind of superior power.

I corrected you.

No, the diff between us is that you like to ramble. Do make up your mind. Quality has nothing to do with being advanced or powerful.

16. DrDamn

“It’s basically a home console that you hold in your hands.”

It’s home console controls on a console you hold in your hands.

“The only problem with that is that you need a dev team big enough to make a home console game.”

No you don’t, some of the biggest successes on the Vita are the smaller titles. As mentioned above, lots of opportunities to put out a game at a price which matches the development costs. Much easier to develop for than previous Sony consoles too.

17. G1GAHURTZ

I’m sure what you’re saying is exactly what Sony reps are hitting the publishers with, DD, but like he said…

They’re more interested in mobile and social media.

18. OlderGamer

How does that stack up against Nintendos 3DS dev costs? I am guessing Vita(for big name games) is much higher. And then you have to say that Sony misjudged the market, dev costs and hardware costs are reflected in retail price points.

Imo, Sony made a better system then they had to make. And because of that their retail price is beyond what most folks are willing to pay. Tech doesn’t win hardware races and often times over shoots mass market price points. Sony did it twice first PS3, then Vita.

My point about being able to sustain yourself with your own software is extremly valid. I think the days of putting out hardware and relying on liscencing to 3rd parties is over. You have to be able to move your own hardware. that is done with an affordable price and a quality line up of your own, exclusive games. Those two things combined will move units, and moving units is what atracts 3rd parties(provided dev costs are reasonable and feesible).

I think it especialy true in the handheld space.

Consoles are a slightly different animal, but not too much. But if your the thrid system out(like Wii) your not going to get a lot of the same multiplat games that the other two will get. But in handheld space…

19. DrDamn

Sure I agree – but they are trying to address this with dev costs and price points – it’s just without volumes they will struggle. That said a good title has the potential to stand out more on Vita than the sea that is mobile.

“How does that stack up against Nintendos 3DS dev costs? I am guessing Vita is much higher. And then you have to say that Sony misjudged the market, dev costs and hardware costs are reflected in retail price points.”

You mean cost to develop the system or cost to develop games? I would expect games dev costs to be similar but with greater flexibility in Vita publishing points. Developing the system? Much higher for Vita.

20. G1GAHURTZ

@18:

Vitas are considerably cheaper than iPads/iPhones/Samsung Galaxy S3s/etc.

But the above mentioned can do everything, if not more, than Vitas (other than big budget games), and have a much, much bigger install base.

Retail price is a small factor here.

21. OlderGamer

Plus most of those you mentioned G1GA are subsidised with long term contracts and data plans. So their price points can be offset. Not so easy to do with a game system. Tho I am expecting XBXNXT to carry such a biz model.

22. DrDamn

People will justify more on phones and tablets because of the use they get and the subscription schemes available. Any handheld will be seen as a games machine and need to be at a price the mass market will tolerate for that sort of device. Vita needs to be the prices OG mentioned above.

Edit: Actually I doubt many realise how much they do spend on phones as it is.

23. lexph3re

They surely do not. What Sony should do is sell Vitas with 3G data plans. Maybe Buy a Vita from At&t for 99$ and sign up for a 2 year 3G data plan. Something to get the average consumer jumping and “thinking” they got a value. That way they can build install base.

If your going to indirectly compete with the mobile market you might as well sell in some respects like one. Push Skype usage too like At&t can make a deal with Skype for you to get a set amount of skype credits to make calls with.

24. Da Man

25. lexph3re

Da Man it’s called bundled value. Manipulating the system core features and making it have market appeal. Vita has a web browser that allow you to access e-mail accounts. I use it all the time, There is a app coming out for vita soon called wake up with me where you get an alarm clock/calender/ and notes that you can share on near.

The premisses requires you to actually know what the device is capable of doing. If you make a $99 bundle through specific providers(not across the board) then you can give a scarey thing called wait for it………OPTIONS!*Gasp*

P.s The vita has already showed that it can be more then a dedicated gaming device.

26. Da Man

Could you post a link saying there’s an upcoming app with anything other than alarms?

What, options and choice? What ‘re you talking about? That people would abandon smartphones or tablets in favour of this bundled value? And that they start using a dedicated handheld console with two analog sticks and a limited web browser (which you apparently like using for it’s minimal e-mail access) with promises of some basic functionality in the future?

Smartphones and tablet computers have marketplaces, where on top of basic features you can get both free and non free apps. Lots of them. Does psv have this? Nope.

On top of all that smartphones and tablets are open in terms of development. Android even allows you the freedom of putting malware on the store.

So what were you saying again?…

P.S. Where?

27. monkeygourmet

As a developer,

Why would you create a game for the Vita over the 3DS, IOS or Andriod?

Sony are really messing up here, by the time Vita starts getting into its stride, mobile devices will have easily surpassed it graphically and the 3DS will be completly mopping up.

The sales figures are soooo bad, especially in Japan where Sony usually does well, I just can’t see this changing until the price point drops hugely and a steady stream of good titles come out.

Sony are letting a quality device stagnate terribly.

Now the Nexus 7 is out at a cheaper price, they are really in the shit.

In before people call the Vita a dedicated games machine with 2 sticks…

28. lexph3re

Da Man seems like you don’t understand what this topic is about. We have been discussing what could not only get 3rd party developers on board more PLUS increase the install base of the device. This is not a “HEY I HATE THIS DEVICE BECAUSE I THINK IT’S SHIT DEBATE” this is a “What do you think this device can do to further improve its install base.” If you were less of a prick about everything that comes up about sony you’d be able to comprehend what people are discussing in an article.

Where? Clearly you don’t have the device and have only used it at a demo kiosk. Netflix,Skype, Facebook, Twitter, Music Unlimited have all already proven the device can be a portable hub dedicated to your personal entertainment. The Topic isn’t “OHZ BOIZ I THINK MY IPHONE/TABLET/CELL PHONE CANZ DO EVERYTHING SO WHY DO I NEED THIZ?!” its a factor that even though your phone can do it so can this and play games too.

@ monkey the nexu 7 is a sleek device but it is seriously lacking. It only has a front facing camera at 1.2 megapixels. No 3G only offers 8gb and 16gb storage. It is a nice device but in comparison to Vita it is a cheap device.

Also, if your developing for 3DS,iOS, and Tablets why not put your games on Vita as well? It’s just more income and appeals to more audiences. It would be naive as a developer that develops across the board to skip a potential source of income.

29. ManuOtaku

I think the situation of the vita will change as soon as the next gen consoles arrive, with that the console aspect of the handheld will not be the primary focus, then we are going to see a lot of games like gravity rush, that are only found on vita, and less games that are found on the sony console counterpart, i think that will be key, differentiate both sony products, because in a way right now they are competing, and price wise the ps3 has the edge, when the next gen arrive it will be not longer the case in both factors, price and games.

30. monkeygourmet

I know where your coming from but something seems to be stopping the Vita getting the releases other mobile platforms do…

You can only posite, that Sony dislike IOS games coming out on Vita because they would have to sell them for 2.99, 69p etc… And that would undermine them trying to sell bigger games like Uncharted for 39.99…

A bit like the problem Nintendo had trying to sell games like tetris for 29.99 when you can get better versions on your phone for 69p…

This kind of thing plus free to play games must make it really hard to develop a game for Vita that might not reach the same target figures as they would on phones or the cheaper to develop for 3DS.

The market has changed so much and the Vita really seems to be a device that is struggling to find its niche…

Just my 2 Euros worth! ;)

31. lexph3re

I would agree if it were’nt for free to play games existing and soon coming to Vita. PSO2 is suppose to be free to play across the board. TOMB is free to play with microtransactions. And a game like Crimson Gem Saga is on iOS right now for 9.99 but on psn where it’s compatible with psp and vita it’s 7.49.

Even mini’s like Farm Frenzy which before I new I bought new at gamestop on 3ds for my wife, it was 14.99. On PSN it was 3.99 the same exact game.
    I don’t think Sony has anything against the pricing on the games on PSN I think it’s a case of developers eye’s being then they should.

They see iOS and they see 17 million already dedicated users. They look at 3DS and they see 19 million already dedicated users. Developers aren’t trying to make games that sell systems they are trying to sell games on already dedicated user install bases. And that’s a recipe for disaster. Just because your device has a high install base doesn’t mean they will buy your game.

We saw that with Jrpg’s on 360.

32. monkeygourmet

I forgot about phantasy star and the like! :)

Surely Sony must have understood that’s the way dev ompanies are working in this present time? Even if it’s a shitty attitude, surely Sony’s R & D and marketing teams could have courted these developers abd sorted these issues out before its got to this stage?!

I mean, their the supposed experts aren’t they? :)

I think they have just been stubborn (no one wants to jump on their sword), and don’t seem to be able to come up with a second plan or angle.

Even thoughive sold mine, it is def nice tech. I really hope to see some stuff at TGS, Gamescon… If they miss these targets, they could be in deep shit.

I don’t think they have the time to wait for PS4 release to turn things around…

33. Da Man

So we can establish that you were a liar about the organizer apps. Thanks, calling me a prick only further convinced me you weren’t just yet another Sony servant.

I ‘m well aware what I was on about, it was the app functionality which is factually completely inferior to any tablet/phone out there, even on a basic level.

I don’t quite see what not having something I deem so useless has anything to do with your argument…

34. ManuOtaku

#31 i would had agree with you, but using JRPGS on the 360 is not an accurate data, especially when JRPGS this generation was bad overall on all consoles, even Final Fantasy only sold decent numbers compare with past iterations, also i think that the DS which had an strong third party support, like most of the nintendo handheld consoles,indicates that even developers that pursue the idea regarding creating games to dedicated installed base on a device, can be done seliing good amount of titles being very profitable.

35. lexph3re

Actually no it isn’t me being a liar. What you look for in a universal Organizer app is not what you stated specifically. And I gave you an example of the app’s releasing for the device that have those particular functionality. Also, If you had been paying attention to PS Suites you would know that that will add more functionality across the board.

Don’t call me a servant because you like to derail discussions by trying to attack a persons personal observation’s on a discussion that is more interesting then bolstering about the inherent success of other devices. That is called making good constructive conversation and analysis of a hardwares in our particular interest group.

Also, Da Man I called you a Prick because you are generally a prick. no denying it show’s everywhere you post. You intentionally poke people to derail and get a reaction out of people and then after EVERY derailment you actually contribute something useful towards a convo and it’s generally very little.

@ Manu No the example was justified. MS originally tried to secure Japanese based games to gain a spot in Japan and in the western market as the go to system for games. And, it was initially working but the JRPG’s like Lost Odyssey Infinite Undiscovery, LAst Remnant, Tales of Vesperia, and Eternal Sonata showed that that wasn’t were the interest lied in the install base of 360 owners.

The point was to be made Developers have been making games based on a consoles install base and that’s just not a guaranteed hit in the gaming industry. 3DS sold based on the software of Mario, Zelda, Star Fox. Amazing Spiderman isn’t a system seller for the 3DS.

36. Da Man

Wow, not only you are a proven liar, but a dishonest zealot too. Thanks for further convincing me then. You ‘re doing a pretty good job.

Out of interest, was there ever anything released by Sony you thought was bad?

Yes, I did state it:
    quoteWhy would anyone in their right mind use a dedicated handheld console for anything other than playing games? Let alone getting it for something like that.. It’s ridiculously lacking even compared to WP7. Does it even have an e-mail app or a calendar? Reminders? Notes/stickies? It’s not comparable even on a basic level.

To which you replied with a
    quoteThere is a app coming out for vita soon called wake up with me where you get an alarm clock/calender/ and notes that you can share on near.

After that I asked for a link.

Nowhere did I say ‘universal organizer app’. You did. That’s yet another convincing statement, you like putting words into others’ mouth.

Simple, right? Not that it should stop you from further trying to spin everything.

I contributed more than you! Esp since you seem to think making software for a platform with the biggest user base is an, erm ‘receipt for disaster’.. Right, which is why Ps2 saw all those releases. they all made a huge mistake, right.

Sorry, I’ll take a box of sweets and my $599 next time I dare criticize a shitty jap company. is there anything else you wanted to say on topic? Because atm in addition to all that you’re also establishing yourself as an idiot with inane posts.

Besides, I ‘m not derailing *any*thing here. You were the first to go on about other functionality, I merely stated the fact that it’s nowhere near phones/tablets, thus it’s ridiculous to try and compare it in that regard.

37. absolutezero

Oh hey its this again.

38. GwynbleiddiuM

“in addition to all that you’re also establishing yourself as an idiot with inane posts.”

Oh the irony, you’re calling someone “an idiot with inane posts”, it humors me.

39. lexph3re

It’s not my job to provide you with links towards a device that you want to critize I told you about the App YOU go find it. Also, you said i’m putting a spin on things yet your talking about one thing out of 10 things i’ve brought up for discussion. You completely forgot to point out how you (possibly without reading prior comments) just bursted in in rage mode over me talking about a potential business plan that Sony could look into to move more units.

Also, Ps2 had TONS of games your right. But, did they have tons of success? No. Look at critically acclaimed games like Godhand which was a giant flop. Brave Samurai Musashi where the Soundtrack was amazing, gameplay mediocre and still FLOPPED. Would it have do better if it wasn’t for them only being released on 1 platform flooded with other games that had more hype? Probably so.

And yes there is plenty of things for Sony I don’t give a shit for and i’ve expressed my disdain for them too. Infamous 1 being amongst the games. Folklore another. Hell Ps2 had tons of crap festering through them. But is that the topic? No. The topic is you half assing your research on a device because you think a cellphone can “do it” better.

Again, if it’s hard for you to stay on topic then I will do like i’ve been doing overlooking your post.

40. Dragon246

Before taking out swords and daggers and taking Sony to the gallows, can we wait for a few more months? People like OG here are already saying sony does not know business, cant sell hardware etc. despite the fact that they had bested the previous 2 gens by a long margin and beat ninty to a pulp. I think the overall sony climate is preventing them from taking drastic measures like ninty did with 3ds.
    Same doomsayers rejected ps3 but it has recovered well from the earlier slump.
    Although it definitely looks like sony needs to something to make vita reach “critical mass” asap, ie. a large user base. I more they delay in doing so, the more they will repent it afterwards.

41. monkeygourmet

I know what you mean, but I think gamers have a little right to be hard on companies at the moment, especially considering the amount of shit being funnelled into our stomachs like a fois gras goose…

All 4 major players, MS, Apple, Sony and Nintendo have all made very dubious choices regarding how they view the next generation of media and gaming output they think ‘fans’ and general consumers want…

To be honset, venting a bit when someone makes a bad call that everyone could spot from a mile off or squandering good tech in this case helps a little! :)

At this stage Sony might has well made a new issue of the PSP with an OLED screen at a budget price and ran that until PS4 came out, then launch VIta shortly after that with a shit load of polished titles and FULL PS4 integration…

Sony are in the weakest position this coming gen, they have lots of conflicting products and seem unsure how to tie all their SMART TVs, tablets, Bluray, Phones, Handhelds and Home PCs together…

MS are in the best position next gen with Kinect 2 and Smart Glass.

Sony could screw up big time if they can’t figure out what they actually want people to buy and How it works together…

PS Move in PS4 or are they gonna scrap it?! PS Go lost tons of money… Tablets are failing against rivals…

Jack of all trades, master of none…

Not that Ninty and MS aren’t without their failings, but Sony really need to blow peoples tits off with PS4 and Vita…

Everyone seems to forget that Most Sony consoles are sleeper devices to install media formats into people’s living rooms, DVD, Bluray etc…

They play just as dirty as everyone else! ;)

42. Da Man

Yes, they’re so inane that I made a simple three sentence post stating facts, which was escalated to a whole whopping debate. Do you know what ‘inane’ means, language barrier perhaps? Oh oh oh. Do try harder though.

You said there’s an app which encompasses the functionality I mentioned. There’s none. It doesn’t exist and there was no such announcement. Ironically, you ‘re a bigger twerp than me here…

Yes they did, the whole reason Re4 went to Ps2 was the userbase… It came out on Gamecube in an attempt to sell the system and then came to the one with the biggest amount of customers, as usual.. I don’t see how some titles which flopped (can be found anywhere) prove otherwise. Niche/poor games can indeed find success on worse selling platforms, but that’s another topic entirely.

I’m not half arsing. I was saying the obvious, which isn’t only how it can do it better, but merely do it, while Psv can’t do borderline anything… Why try and sell Psv with 3g plans in the same manner phones are being offered (the post I was originally addressing), it’s a crazy idea.

43. OlderGamer

“People like OG here are already saying sony does not know business, cant sell hardware etc. despite the fact that they had bested the previous 2 gens by a long margin and beat ninty to a pulp. I think the overall sony climate is preventing them from taking drastic measures like ninty did with 3ds.”

Mostly what I was talking about was Sony not understanding/keeping up the changes in market place climate. If anything their hardware is too good. An that leads to what I think of Sonys biggest handicap this gen: competitive price points.

Sony didn’t clean up with PSx and PS2 by making expensive hardware. They won by releasing affordable systems. Meeting that sweet spot of mass market price. Combined, of course, with strong JPN support(something that they haven’t been able to count on this gen).

It is also worth noting that Sony didn’t beat Nintendo last gen in the handheld space. I am not sure anyone ever has. The Atari Lynx was better hardware. The TG Express was better hardware. And the Gamegear was better hardware. Over the current at the time Nintendo gameboy offerings. Pointing that out, because here comes Sony, and with two gens of handheld systems, they also have better hardware. And yet Nintendo is rolling them.

That isn’t a fanboy Nintendo thing, really it isn’t. Just backing up my asertion that tech savy hardware alone doesn’t win a hardware war. Sometimes all it does price you out of the market. That has happend to Sony twice.

I hope they don’t do it again for PS4.

44. monkeygourmet

Both MS and Sony really need to thnk hard about some kind of subscription based sale pattern for next gen if they want to keep high performance consoles but also offer a means of entry for lower income family’s.

If they can make really good tech that could survive 6 – 8 years, it’s going to cost about £350 – 450 on launch especially if it comes bundled with things like Kinect 2…

Now if they can release the console for £149.99 with a 5 year subscription service that costs £49.99 a year, that can kind of make up the difference and give two options for people on different incomes…

Only thing is, Sony prides itself with ‘free online’… Whereas Xbox owners are used to paying for services (obs PS Plus is the exception…).

So any switch by Sony could garner a negative reaction from Playstation owners.

45. OlderGamer

I think you’re spot on Monkey. And I have a suspicion that XBXNXT will have such a plan. Could well be like my cable, you get the box for free, but you pay for the service to use it. I just don’t know if Sony have been building enough parteneer suport to offer a substantial service. I think MS have been hard at work doing just that.

46. monkeygourmet

I think so too, and that where I think a Western Company can really damage Sony and Nintendo in the long run, via media control.

It’s not what gamers want but as devices are merging, MS has been quite clever not to confuse their brand.

The home media box is what there aiming for… Even the Xbox name sounds like a media hub, it clearly is how they viewed the brand.

Sony have their fingers in a lot of pies but seem confused about where the PS brand is heading. Hopefully purchase of Gaikai will prove fruitful, and Vita can be correctly integrated into PS4…

MS are building some seriously powerful media partners at the moment though, it’s like they are on the verge of a huuuuuge takeover of general media space. Only Apple can really block that with Apple TV.

At home at the moment, I’m running a Acer Revo mini PC with XBMC, which runs films at 1080p using my iPad as a visual remote control.

It’s fanastic, and seeing Smartglass at this years e3 was clearly MS’s attempt to bring that kind of functionality to the mass market without any kind of messing around and techie knowledge.

Coupled with Kinect 2 and potentially AR glasses and the suggested specs of Durango, they have a potentially formidable set up.

If they also been spending the time in the Xbox’s twilight years making some good exclusives while Sony has been spending all there money on PS3 exclusives, they could kick off the next gen in a big way…

I can see Sony ditching Home and Eyetoy with the PS4, how they include Vita and Move in their PS4 plans will be interesting…

47. OlderGamer

Fully agree.

48. lexph3re

http://youtu.be/uhmSSyqwnNY lazy ass can’t even look something up yet still claiming it’s non existing. What you don’t seem to get is this was about what Vita can do to better itself. You claim what I said was inane but couldn’t take 5 fucking minutes to look up a simple app that is to give functionality to the device.

1 of others soon to release on the apps department for vita. You claim you can’t compare Vita to Phones because it doesn’t offer the same things? It’s already got dedicated apps like cell phones and soon a dedicated Market place and 3FUCKING G.

You very much can compare the device to the mobile market because it’s a mobile device! I swear your brash ignorance is so frustrating that im done talkin to you. Say whatever you like after this dude because clearly you like beings a angry blind hater.

When I compared the flops of developers from the ps2 gamecube era I had more tales of failure then your 1 success story. So just shut the hell up if you can’t stay on topic. I’m no longer lower my standard on this one. If anyone else want’s to discuss possible ways to increase the consoles install base im game.Peace

49. Gheritt White

@ #35 lexph3re: “3DS sold based on the software of Mario, Zelda, Star Fox. Amazing Spiderman isn’t a system seller for the 3DS.”

Really don’t mean sound like a prick, but I bought my 3DS (XL, bitchez) more or less exclusively to play Castlevania LoS:MoF on my daily commute and don’t own any Nintendo titles (…yet). But I accept I’m in the minority.

Point is, long-term 3rd-parties are important no matter which first-party you are. Why else would Nintendo make such a big deal out of courting the third parties for Wii U support and feature them so heavily in their E3 presentations?

50. Dragon246

@46,
    I dont think ms can do so . Their multimedia apps in us is definitely better but sony leads in eu and japan . I think it will boil down to who differentiates their next-gen consoles from present ones. The company which provides the most “universal “box will win imho.

51. OlderGamer

Don’t let DM piss ya off Lex. He enjoys it too much to give him the satisfaction.

52. Da Man

That video is about an alarm app, since I was the one who said there’s nothing but an alarm clock app coming out for Psv and asked for a prooflink from you, how exactly am I the one who’s lazy? You ‘re starting to remind me of blackdreamhunk here…

How is that the same as what even mid tier current phones have?

You’re talking about imaginary things. I can ‘claim’ all that based on the fact that nothing of what YOU want to exist does… It’s an electronics device made by men, no need for fantasies here.

Clearly telling me to shut the hell up is even more convincing. As well telling me that you don’t care what I say after your utterly inane (yet again) message, when you time after time fail to provide any sense or evidence of Psv app functionality.

Psv can do as much as some second gen iPod Touch can.. that’s a fact. YOUR zealous fantasies have nothing to do with what actually happens to this machine. Simple.

All you were doing for this entire thread is calling me a prick, babbling on about an Alarm clock, raging and yelling about non existing functionality.

As for PS2, every single major publisher from Capcom through Ubisoft supported the console based on that it had the biggest customer base. Capcom even commented back in the days how it won’t release anything on the Xbox cause it has a small user base… You passionate zealot would be here, rationally stating ‘the obvious’ how the console with the most marketshare should be getting the most support and how it’s all ‘common sense’ if Psv was outselling 3ds. Too bad.

53. Da Man

Also, Old man you really never learn. I bet you still play videogames with the arse and wish for him to return.

54. OlderGamer

“I bet you still play videogames with the arse and wish for him to return.”

Who?

55. Ireland Michael

@54 OG… *shakes head* You know you’re wasting your breath.

56. OlderGamer

I know lol, but I wanna know who he is talking about? Peaked my interest.

57. Da Man

Theevilaires.

O’Connor, it’s a bit late for you to shake your head after spending 3 or 4 years or so aiming more than half of your bs at that guy. You rational parent.

Anyway, I’m not going to have a balanced debate with someone who ‘s that devoted to a jap corp. The moment things become different these passionate fans turn 180 degrees. If it’s a questionable pro on Sony’s part they state it’s ‘superior without a doubt’, if it’s a definite con they say ‘it’s different’ or start accusing the opposing corp product in being ‘incomplete’ or something..

The guy made a bloody thread about a Montezuma game from what I’ve seen, which can be found anywhere. Then proceed saying ‘who are we to say what should be free’… SMH. Who are you? You ‘re the customer, you decide what does well on the market and what doesn’t.

Much like a ‘debate’ with someone who’s being original for the sake of it.

58. OlderGamer

Interesting. So you think Tea and I were/are friends?

And DM, I have yet to see you have a balanced debate with anyone.

I think one of your troubles is that your judging other people based on the way you look at things. Your a MS fan. Nothing wrong with that part, but you can’t project fanboysm on everyone else. I mean you can, but you look like a troll doing it.

I can tell you that when it comes to myself(and Mike too)(and hell, most people here) we own everything. I have four xb360s in my house right now. A PS3. And a Nintendo Wii. I don’t own a Vita or a 3DS yet, I do have a DS and a PSP tho. I own everything. I play everything and I have enjoyed at least one or two games on everything I own.

Of course you could claim I am lying, then I can claim your in denial. No matter either way.

It amazes me that in your mind, if someone enjoys Nintendo Games(for example), and you don’t, then that person is a Nintendo fanboy. Or they are somehow devoted to Nintendo. I am a fan of Nintendo games. That isn’t the samething as being a fanboy with blinding devotion(thats more of your bag then mine). I also enjoy PS3 games. Hint not a Sony fanboy either. Guess what man? My xb360 GS is somewhere are 38,000. I have been a paying Gold member from the month it launched(tho I have turned off the auto renew).

I mean fanboy? Where? Me? Hardly.

Try expanding your mind a bit, I bet your missing out on some great game experiences.

59. OlderGamer

Here is some sage advice DM, becareful. If MS strugles next gen(and I doubt they will, just saying), if they do, your going to end up being the new Tea. Just instead of defending Sony, your going to defend MS.

Most gamers just go where the value is, and where the games are(this is why PC and mobile have been surging recently). Most of them don’t concern themselves too much with the logo on the box.

60. Da Man

No I don’t think so, I just think you pick the wrong side all the time and it takes a complete f-up of a whole website to convince you that someone isn’t a cool guy…

Err for one I’m not an MS fan. I can’t stand Windows, I can’t stand Gears of War, I always thought fable was a terrible videogame, I don’t like that prick Ballmer, I think Bill Gates is just as much of an arsehole as Steve Jobs (well, was…) … and so on and so forth.

I liked Syphon Filter on PSX a lot, I ‘ve had two PSX, two PS2s (both broke) and I’ve had a SE phone many years ago.

Here’s an advice, old man. Spend less time under the influence…

The moment MS make a teh emotion engine or teh cell or state how noone older than 20 would play Mario I start posting massive flamings in regards to them.

MS is a terrible yankee corp, which made nothing but terrible OS and shitty products up until the Xbox and X360, and lately the Win Phone.

Do try harder. Then again someone like you can’t really see past toys and the such.

61. Ireland Michael

OG… *headdesk*

62. Da Man

You really add a lot both to this conversation and to the site stability,as usual angsty original guy.

I know people really aren’t entitled to think you’re an idiot with an inferiority complex… Anyone who actually thinks that is just having problems disagreeing. Either that or they’re trolls. It’s not an inferiority complex, it’s a fight for equality. And it’s not idiocy, it’s a different opinion.

63. G1GAHURTZ

It’s strange, because you’ve always got something to say about PS360.

How you got rid of your consoles, deleted your friends lists, stopped playing online, how the games are stale, how the business model is doomed, etc, etc…

But, while I could be wrong, it certainly seems as though you back Nintendo 100% of the time. You even read what you think are negative comments about Nintendo in one comment section, and bring them up in another one as if they had some sort of deep effect on you.

I see DM pointing out negative things about MS, about some of their IPs and what’s lacking in the hardware, but not so with you and Nintendo.

I mean, even I have negative stuff to say about CoD, sometimes!

Not so when it comes to you and Nintendo…

If that’s not grounds to label someone a fanboy, I don’t know what is.

64. daytripper

The whole memory card issue still irks me about the Vita, for me there is no doubt the system has a lot of potential and is the most capable handheld to buy but the prices and the way they have gimped the whole memory template is ridiculous.

On board flash memory, a competitive price bundled with a high quality title would of perhaps seen the Vita do better than it is now, in the US especially it is averaging around 50-60k in sales, that is very poor.

The software currently available is of a decent standard but when you look at forthcoming releases there is nothing there that screams must have, I doubt Call of Duty will save it, most people would rather play Call of Duty multiplayer on a console or PC.

I’d give it another 12 months and if the current trend continues it looks destined to be discontinued.

65. OlderGamer

“OG, when was the last time that you had something negative to say about Nintendo? (link, or it didn’t happen!)”

What is there neg to say at this point? The WiiU isn’t out yet. We don’t know pricing. We don’t know game line up. We don’t even know the systems tech specs. So what is there to hate on?

I could be like some of you guys and hate them for being them. But I actualy enjoy their games. I could do a item list of talking points, but you would find flaws in those too. And really most of it comes down to one persons opinion. For example, one critisim of Nintendo we often hear is their weak online. I, personaly, don’t find that a draw back. I think it has netflix and a web browser, I am good. I don’t play that much online with consoles anyways.

We just don’t share the same set of “negitives” reguarding Nintendo.

I know that Nintendo is not a perfect company. I have yet to find one that was. Vitural Boy was a flop, Nintendo muscled other game companies out of toy stores in the 80s, etc. But those things don’t exactly come up in the latest “lets all attack Nintendo over the WiiU” threads that pop up.

So ima put this is plan english: I like Nintendo. BUT…If they priced the WiiU at say… 600usd, I would grab my pitch fork. And my tune would change.

Most of what we read when someone attacks a product or a company or a game, is just someone saying that they don’t like or enjoy something. There are little or no fact that can back up someones opion on a video game. Maybe you played the new Mario game(or CoD) and think to yourself “I am so sick and tired of the same old tired out game experience”, the next day, next month, next year you rant on a thread about how nintendo(or acti) has lost touch and you just can’t stand them anymore. Or maybe, your picking up CoD(or Mario) for the very first time(lucky bastard!) and you are totaly impressed and blown away. The next day you see a thread about the game and you lavish golden words on the game, the company, or the experience.

In the end neither one is right, and neither one wrong. And neither one means a damn thing. You can always say that “In your opinion” or “You think” or whatever. And I try to always do that.

Secondly, one opinion a person has on one company has zero impact on what another person can think about another company.

“But OG, you don’t attack Nintendo. We attack MS and Sony!” Right but what is the point again? Where does it say that we have to attack or defend anything, or that we can’t? I just thought we were giving our opinions.

66. absolutezero

Something about nerds. Something about blogs. Something mildly self-indulgent. Something hugely pompous. Something mildly offensive. Knee-jerk. Backlash. Contrarian. Petulant.

Lets continue!

67. DSB

You do find yourself kinda wishing for the hammer of ban. Or at the very least a solid flogging.

68. G1GAHURTZ

I wasn’t just talking about the WiiU, I was talking about Nintendo in general.

I also didn’t say anything about attacking. Just had you made a comment about something that you didn’t like. You have plenty of such comments to say about so many other things, but seemingly nerver Nintendo.

Even tea would have something to say about Sony when they did something that he didn’t like.

I just didn’t see how you could justifiably be painting Da Man as an MS fanboy, when his position with regards to MS is considerably less deserving of the term fanboyism than your position with regards to Nintendo, that’s all.

69. Dragon246

Considering how averse he is to vita and sony “marketing strategy ” and yet did not say anything about about ninty launching a 100$ (manufacturing cost) 3ds for 250$ with no games whatsoever wrt vita launch , his comments smells of favouritism .

70. OlderGamer

@Dragon, whos mine or DM?

Prolly both from where your sitting tho ‘eh?

I honestly don’t know how much 3DS costs to manufacter. But I do know that for the most part, Nintendo does make hardware that they can turn a profit on. I think 3DS was more then 100usd, not sure tho. But, one of the faults I find with Sony is that they put so much tech into the hardware that the price point of the hardware misses the mass market audiance. In contrast, Nintendo does a better job of making what their costumers can afford to buy.

I guess the dig on Nintendo here would be that, if they can honestly make 3DS for 100usd, then why sell it for 250usd? Prolly because they thought they could. They, like everyone else is in it to make money. They quickly learned the price was too high and lowered it. The lower man costs just gave them that flexability.

Just good strategy.

71. OlderGamer

And G1GA I understand you meant Nintendo as a whole. But what have the recent threads been on? Not the Nes, SNES, N64, or GC. But on the up and coming system. Also 3DS. 3DSxl. And evn a bit on Wii. The thing is, it has been very VERY very hard to fault them on Wii or 3ds(or DS for that matter), those systems cleaned up.

As for WiUU, we don’t know much about it yet. I won’t condem MS or Sony for their next as of yet unseen systems either.

Look, here is what you can say about Wii. You don’t like it. You can say the samething about 3DS. You can even say you don’t like Nintendo games in general. You could say that you don’t feel their franchises do enough to distinquish themself from previous versions. All of that is a valid opinion that anyone can have, and express.

What can’t be said is that Nintendo screwed up or failed with either Wii or 3DS. Both systems sold/sell very well. Nintendo stock is worth more today then it was pre Wii launch. Something a lot of companies like EA(for example) can’t say. Times are hard, games are down. Keeping your head above water is a goal unto itself. Nintendo is doing good, because of the suscess of both their last console and handheld(and said first party games on systems). Hard to find fault in their strategy.

Hate me if ya like. But there is a significant difference between an opinion and a fact. You can dislike Nintendo for whatever reason you pick. Just like Tea can hate MS. DM can hate Sony. or G1GA can hate BF. Those are just opinions. I like Nintendo games. I think they are fun to play, that is my opinion.

Find me a fault in Nintendos recent strategy and we can talk about it. Hell we can talk about the Nintendo VS Tengen lawsuit if ya like. Or how Nintendo gave Toys R Us an ultimatium to remove NEC(TG16) systems and games from it shelf. Or even how Nintendo blocked Sega Master system in the US stores. But that is a very long time ago.

I am just a gamer man, I play games. Sometimes I even play ones I like lol ;)

72. Gekidami

The real kicker is when some PC dev talks about how closed consoles are, what ensues is a massive rant about how the PS3 & 360 are horrible for being so closed… but no mention of that other company, you know, the ones that makes the most closed systems… But i guess you’ll just throw out some special pleading, “Its not their goal so its ok”. lol

You’re probably the biggest most annoying fanboy on the site right now, OG. Seriously, you’re just kidding yourself at this point, there isnt a person here who doesnt think it.

73. polygem

same old nintendo bashing here…guys, serioulsy? mario is for kids right? yea i get it, cod is for the tough guys si? come on…tell that to 21 year old friends in the gym or to the teeny group drinking beer for the first time in the park, but don´t post it on a gaming site with people who have decades of gaming experience under their belts. you must not like nintendo games, but saying it is just kids stuff, well, it´s just not true. repeating it over and over wont make it true either.
    i own every current gen system (sold my vita because in my eyes it sucked balls), i am a nintendo fan if you want, sure, some of the best games i have played last gens and this gen are nintendo games. wii u looks promising indeeed because it will have nintendo games in hd and hopefully much more third party support. i like halo a lot too, this isn´t a more mature game than mario galaxy is tho, honestly not. call of duty i like too, but who is taking those stories seriously? kids maybe, i certainly can only roll my eyes playing through a killzone or cod b-movie like campaign. i like those games…but mature? yeah right. mushroom kingdom, dreamland and hyrule are beautiful places where you can have tons of fun, kids and old gamers alike. it´s great, no need to bash it.

74. polygem

and OG…i respect that you keep spreading your word here. it´s tough sometimes. arguments count. yours are mostly pretty good.

all the fanboys are the first to call others fanboys,in psychology this is called projection.

i am aware that you are anything but a fanboy. but if you like nintendo you MUST be a fanboy, because their kids games suck balls, only fanboys can enjoy those shovelware kids games!

they just don´t have any better arguments than the kids games and fanboy stuff…in the end it´s all about those two arguments. both are not true. so the discussion does not make much sense.

75. DrDamn

@OG
    “reguarding Nintendo”

Heh bit of a slip ;)

76. DrDamn

77. polygem

78. G1GAHURTZ

^ Nice stealth edit there. lol!

79. Dragon246

@Og
    I prefer playstation, but that won’t stop me from bashing anyone and everyone if something is wrong. You once said ninty to be the ” only games company ” which make no sense and haven’t pointed out when they did something wrong .
    @poly
    No one is saying ninty is for kids. More acceptable term is family oriented . Different strokes for different folks. No one has problems with that.

80. stretch215

A ban on Da man is NOT necessary. Regardless of who agrees or disagrees with him, he is expressing his opinions like everyone else. You don’t like him, you don’t respond to him. Simple. Also, happy fucking Sunday ;) edit: @72 + 100

81. Christopher Jack

I tend to frequently disagree with OG & it’s blatantly obvious that he prefers Nintendo but I don’t think I’d ever call him a fanboy because he has shown to be one of the few people who’s capable of respecting other people’s opinions no matter how much he disagrees. If anything, he’s a FanMan of Nintendo.

82. polygem

83. polygem

84. OlderGamer

For what it is worth, I also don’t think anyone should be banned. No one on this site at this point is anything remotly close to Shatner or Tea. Having and expressing an opinion doesn’t make anyone banable. Argueing over games and threads and opinions is one of the biggest draws for most of us to this site.

Ok let get to a few things here:

Dragon: “I prefer playstation, but that won’t stop me from bashing anyone and everyone if something is wrong.”

The only thing here is that if something is wrong or not is an opiinon thing. For example(and scince we are talking alot on Nintendo) the 3DS doesn’t have twin sticks. One person might think that is wrong, someone else doesn’t because that person doesn’t want play consoles style experiences in a handheld.

“You once said ninty to be the ” only games company ” which make no sense”

Sure it does. Nintendo is the only one of the three platform holders that has it roots in video games. That doesn’t mean that only Nintendo can can make good games or anything. I recall playing Donkey Kong on Atari2600. And of course before that in arcade.

Doc: “The discussion seems to be about attitudes. You are the first to bring in the old Nintendo games/kids debate. Well shoehorned in though.”

I don’t know, but maybe your right about it being about attitudes Doc. I think some gamers are angry. And they carry a lot of hate towards what they see as casual non gaming. Ie, Nintendo. I seem to be the poster child for Nintendo. So a lot of it get aimed at me.

Gek:

“The real kicker is when some PC dev talks about how closed consoles are, what ensues is a massive rant about how the PS3 & 360 are horrible for being so closed…”

I would say that in most cases I would agree with what those devs are saying. Depending on what they were saying. It is more about what I think of as an outdated biz model that consoles use. And for what it is worth all current consoles are guilty of it. I think the console model is great a gen or two ago, but in todays game world there are a lot of other options that are more affordable and very high quility. Imo, the biz model of current consoles is simply outdated. And that includes Nintendo.

Ok fellas look:

Right now console hardware and console sales are down. The industry has been in decline for the past couple of years or so. This console gen cycle peaked around 2008. Alot of people are tired of this gens hardware, tired of this gens franchise train, and just tired of this gen in general.

Some people that feel that way read these pages. Some people that read these pages don’t feel that way. Keep in mind one thing, I don’t make the headlines. I don’t write the treads. I just respond to them. So everytime a dev bitches about MS, I didn’t do that. Everytime we read about Vita not selling, I didn’t do that either. Guess what when we read about 3DS sales, I didn’t do that either lol(I don’t even own one).

I have said it before, and will say it again. I enjoy Nintendo games. Doesn’t make me a dedicated Nintendo fan tho. I enjoy a lot of games. From a lot of different companies. Mostly I game on PC. PC, not Wii. Not 3DS. I would say that I prolly play the three consoles about the same amount, not often mind you. But it isn’t like I sit in a dark room with a WiiMote in my hand practicing my waggle lol. This gen I have played a host of great games on all three of my consoles systems.

Now if you all don’t want to think that oh well. You can paint me a Nintendo fanboy if ya want. You can fire all sorts of anger my way if it makes you feel better.

85. OlderGamer

FanMan? ;) Works for me lol.

86. Dragon246

@poly
    Your posts are the best!
    @OG
    I never said you were a fanboy, most of the regular commentors here are not. If anyone wants to see fanboyism, it on full display in sites like ign etc. VG247 is a better place without it.
    Also it just happens that ninty is over a century old (older than sony and ms combined )and started business on games before its present competitors . The title you gave them was meaningless .

87. lexph3re

smh… this thread got completely derailed. Instead of discussing the lose and acquisition of third party developers an how Sony could potentially change their business model and adapt its turned into…. A support group.

Everyones talking about Fanboyism and for what?Because DaMan just “has” to know if people have some biased feelings towads a company before critiquing them? I’m abandoning this post it completely lost relevance. Sorry a lot of you were attacked and felt the need to attack after all this shanangans

88. polygem

thx dragon! love you too.10000000 kisses!

89. OlderGamer

Sorry Lex, your not wrong.