Planetside 2: Steam release confirmed, beta begins

Monday, 6th August 2012 11:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Planetside 2 beta play began this morning, launching players into a world of sci-fi shooter mayhem. Sony Online Entertainment has also confirmed that the game will launch on Steam.

Tweet-happy president of Sony Online Entertainment John Smedley was asked about a Planetside 2 Steam launch by an eager fan, to which he replied, “Planetside 2 will be on Steam. Yes it will.”

The Planetside 2 beta began this morning, to get involved check out the official Planetside 2 site.

1. unacomn

It started? But, but, but, I’m not in it yet, it’s started and I’m missing? Gasp!

2. freedoms_stain

@1, the beta release it’s staggered, active Planetside 1 players get in 1st, then inactive Planetside vets, then early access keys and finally people who signed up for the beta on the website. Everybody will be on in “2-4 Weeks”

3. SplatteredHouse

Today Steam; Tomorrow the World! :)

4. Chockster

Hope to see some vg247 people in there in the next few weeks; it’s looking great so far.

5. DSB

Based on first impressions, I could not be more impressed.

I was expecting a reenterpretation, but it’s really a completely faithful iteration on the old game.

I really like Battlefield, but it’s a peacekeeping operation compared to the mayhem of being overrun in Planetside 2.

Most importantly I think, all the vehicles are meant to work together. It’s not like it is in Battlefield where there are basically three different games going between infantry, armor and air.

If the aircraft aren’t attacking the ground, or stopping others from doing it, they’re useless. If the armor isn’t supporting the infantry, they’re useless. If the infantry isn’t supporting the armor, the armor is fucked.

I’m so relieved to see it’s still the smartest military shooter out there. Best of luck SOE!

6. GrimRita

May give this a look once they throw the doors open to use unimportant folk.

7. JRNO

If only I could get my hands one of those beta keys.
    If history is to repeat itself, I won’t be getting a key until the game is right about to enter public beta, despite having registered for it late last year.

8. DSB

I was only invited for the technical tests, so I was pretty desperate to get in on the beta itself.

I was willing to do a lot of very bad things to get it, but fortunately I only had to follow SOE twitters for less than an hour to get one.

There’s a lot being handed out, definitely worth it too if you have fond memories of the original.