Carmack: DOOM 4 “will be done when it’s done”, sorry about RAGE

Friday, 3rd August 2012 00:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

John Carmack’s annual Quakecon keynote apologised for the past but had an eye on the future, with a few snippets of DOOM 4 info.

As reported by IGN, Carmack opened his 2012 address by acknowledging the anger of local PC fans over the poor performance of their version of RAGE.

Carmack said id had handled the launch badly, particularly with regards to driver support, and promised that the developer had learned valuable lessons for the future. The tech guru also made a brief comment about how the game’s ending didn’t satisfy.

As for what iD is doing now, Carmack said the team had managed to get id Tech 4 running on Vita while tinkering with DOOM 3: BGF edition – but nothing is likely to come of it any time soon, as the majority of id’s manpower and resources are focused on DOOM 4. Even the developer’s mobile division has been shuttered as the team focuses purely on triple-A.

Even so, there’s no timeframe; Kotaku reports Carmack said the horror shooter “wil be done when it’s done”.

The message of Carmack’s keynote seems to have been that the developer is doubling-down on triple-A development, rather than diversifying, as messaged at past year’s events.

1. Erthazus

Sorry My ASS.

It was not just a poor game, it was technically unimpressive with launch day issues. How is this even possible from id?

No DOOM 4? You supposed to show it 2-3 years ago and look what fans get… Shitty BFG edition.

This is indeed RAGE.

2. HauntaVirus

If they were sorry, they’d give my $60 back. The PC version is still broken as fuck.

3. DSB

Really, beyond all the bugs, I was most disappointed that they apparently didn’t care about what they put into it in the first place.

I couldn’t care less about the tech, I just want guns that are fun to shoot, and enemies that are fun to shoot at. And I would expect that from id.

The whole attempt at adding some off-the-cuff plot that just has to have been thought up at the last minute, only made it worse.

It’s like they said “Hey, when you have enough money to buy John Goodman, you don’t need a plot”.

They need to get their heads back in the game.

4. xxJPRACERxx

RAGE is one of my favorite recent FPS. The shooting felt really good and solid, loved the setting, and the graphics were really good and 60 fps smooth.

I had a LOT of problems with it at launch, with an ATI card. Bought an nVidia card just for it and the game ran without problem.

I do agree the ending was not very good and felt rushed.

edit: Like all id games, I didn’t really cared for the story, probably why I enjoyed it.

5. Giskard

Rage was completely fine in my book. The setting was interesting, and it looked absolutely stunning. Had no issues at all with it, but the story was kind of lame, and the weapons weren’t as inventive as they used to be (for iD, anyway). The shooting was however very well tuned, something few games get right these days. All in all, doesn’t deserve the hate, or at least, all of it.

6. HeavyD-Love

I enjoyed Rage. Carmack said it best with:

“People expected it to be more like Fallout or Borderlands but that was never our intention,” Carmack said. “That hurt us in that the single-player was long for a shooter but very short for people expecting an RPG . The messaging on RAGE wasn’t all it should have been.”

I completely agree with this. Everything about Rage except the story and the ending were phenomenal….for a shooter. And as a FPS, how can you deny how gorgeous and smooth those graphics are even on a console….

Let’s be honest though. Doom 3 BFG should be a $20 digital download title. And if you’re going to put it on disc…..some Doom 4 related bonus content would be nice….like a playable demo??? Oh well, I’m still looking forward to this. I love ids style.

7. Erthazus

“erything about Rage except the story and the ending were phenomenal….for a shooter”

is this your first iD shooter? OK then.
    There was nothing phenomenal. None. Boring missions, bad level design. Idiotic RPG elements that should not be there because they are not so good.

“how can you deny how gorgeous and smooth those graphics are even on a console….”

Visuals were crappy, everything is bland except for Megatextures. There was no Direct X10 or 11. Even on the console’s side it’s not impressive except for 50-58 frames per second thing. There are even 2D trees from 1995 year lol.
    http://i56.tinypic.com/vhzxud.jpg – cool right? Amazing graphics? Alright!
    Bland at best.

8. fengato

Enjoyed Rage – as others have noted, the gunplay was superb, and it looked and performed beautifully for a 360 game (installed). Biggest issue for me was that the game was an absolute breeze – almost like it wasn’t properly playtested on the harder difficulties. Also wish there’d been some kind of deathmatch. Still, I was engrossed for much of it.

9. silkvg247

Rage was miles better than Doom 3.:p

I liked it, I played through it start to end in a few days as I was quite hooked. It had original and fun guns and gadgets, like remote controlled exploding cars. Or mind control darts.

The gunplay felt spot on,responsive.

I think people didn’t give it a fair chance, or didn’t use their imagination with the variety of weapons at their disposal.

I also never had any technical issues with it.

I would definitely buy an expansion pack if one came out.

10. YoungZer0

@7:

11. ManuOtaku

iam with commenters 4,5,6,8 and 9, i did also like a lot Rage, it was solid on the gunplay department, had lovely graphics, and the gadgets were good, a pretty good game overall, i dont expect a great story from id, is not their strong part, and it never was, people shouldnt expect this from them, the only thing i was expecting was a solid FPS, and thats what i got.

12. OrbitMonkey

@10, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWSx0bBiNIs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

RAGE was fucking poor. The amount of excuses being made here is pathetic. “it’s gunplay was solid”, so fucking what? It sure as shit wasn’t exciting and that coupled with boring story, mundane gameplay and no fucking character makes RAGE shite.

Seriously what was the point of that game? To make buggy racing the main focus of a fps?

13. Gadzooks!

I enjoyed RAGE. It was visually stunning with great lighting and a rock-solid 60fps (on 360). The gunplay was good, with alternate ammo making for good variety in combat and the combat toys like sentry guns and RC bombs were a lot of fun.

The vehicle sections were solid too, and I enjoyed getting the vehicle upgrades.

I’d buy a RAGE sequel without hesitation.

14. HeavyD-Love

@7…..sigh……my comment would have to be followed by this guy.

“is this your first iD shooter? OK then.”

Uh, no. Started with Wolfenstein 3D, then Doom, Quake, and so on through all the sequels. So you see young Erthazus, I can see the evolution of id’s FPS having experienced them all first hand in their actual release date time frames. I love id. They’ve always delivered top of the line FPS’s with little to no story, and that’s exactly what RAGE is in my opinion. I can’t wait for the rumored DLC actually.

However, I realize a lot of people didn’t like Rage, and Erthazus doesn’t like anything on consoles, so no big surprise here.

15. xxJPRACERxx

@12 ““it’s gunplay was solid”, so fucking what?”

Are you kidding? That’s one of the most important point in an action FPS!

16. OrbitMonkey

^ Yes solid gunplay is a minimum requirement for a ok game. But as RAGE was a bland soulless unexciting tech excercise, the gunplay needed to be breathtaking… It was not.

It was solid, like the dull weight of my expectations, plummeting to the floor :-/

17. DSB

Honestly I think the gunplay was a lot better in the Fallouts, and that’s downright embarrassing, considering that the engine was never made for it.

And how does he explain making you run around a huge map doing quests for the majority of the game? If you don’t want to be compared to an RPG, maybe you shouldn’t be using that design.

It’s just piss poor excuses :P We didn’t “play the game wrong”, you just fucked it up. Once you realize that, you stand a chance of doing better next time.

18. Airtight

Dsb
    How in the fuck is the gunplay in Fallout better than Rage? Your whole comment goes to shit right there; as does most of the other negative comments claiming Rage’s main FPS elements (gunplay, enemy AI, level design, etc…) are ‘weak’. ‘Weak’ in comparison to what games? No examples have been given.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DSB

@18 I wouldn’t think it would be neccesary. The physics and the audio both quite obviously suck.

When you fire a gun you expect a kick and a snap that makes the whole process exciting, RAGE has neither with the exception of very few weapons.

Firing an AK47 should be an exercise in controlling chaos, but somehow RAGE seems to have included the Ikea no-stress version of the weapon, complete with cruise control.

When you fire a weapon you actually get a reaction in a game like New Vegas, and that’s embarrassing considering that it doesn’t exactly have the worlds highest production values.

id Software used to be a company that you’d rely on to get those kinds of basics right, instead they proved themselves to be a bunch of has-beens that couldn’t even get the engineering right.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Cobra951

@18:
    It isn’t. FO3′s gunplay is certainly worse than Rage’s in real-time mode. VATS doesn’t count, and neither do the turn-based originals. To suggest otherwise strikes me as a trolling comment from someone with an ax to grind against Rage or its developers. The game is far from perfect, but the gunplay is competent, at least.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DSB

@20 Over here champ. Feel free to comment on the actual post any time you feel you’re ready.

Interesting theory about the irrational hatred towards a title and its developers.

Thing is, even if you somehow hate them irrationally to begin with, you’ll hate them for a reason once you play RAGE. Easily one of the worst games I’ve ever played with AAA stamped on it.

#21 1 year ago