SecureDRM: Ubisoft patches Uplay browser plug-in “flaw”

Monday, 30th July 2012 17:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Ubisoft has issued a statement in response to security issues discovered in its Uplay DRM system.

Ubisoft’s statement read, “We have made a forced patch to correct the flaw in the browser plug-in for the Uplay PC application that was brought to our attention earlier today. We recommend that all Uplay users update their Uplay PC application without a Web browser open. This will allow the plug-in to update correctly”.

“An updated version of the Uplay PC installer with the patch also is available from Uplay.com”, the statement continued, “Ubisoft takes security issues very seriously, and we will continue to monitor all reports of vulnerabilities within our software and take swift action to resolve such issues.”

The trouble began this morning, after a Google security engineer installed Assassin’s Creed Revelations on his PC, only to discover that Uplay had left his machine at the mercy the internet.

Read our full report on the issue here.

1. Mineral4r7s

After only reading the headline I hoped they removed Uplay.

2. DSB

It’s pretty obvious that Uplay is a huge liability for the company.

If they were going to bury it, they would’ve done so long ago. Maybe they could’ve saved some part of their marketshare.

At this point Ubisoft are just plainly in denial, even though I’m pretty sure they realize what it has cost them already.

3. NightCrawler1970

Why you need a Uplay for?

Sooner or later a gamer get stuck with that kind of crap, like DRM/STEAM/Uplay, before he/she starting playing that game…

Why not bring back the old way of playing games, let the player setup a Game-louche and invite people to play online on hist server….

4. TMRNetShark

This is why I don’t buy Ubisoft PC games. Hell, the only reason I think Ubisoft should remain in business in general is because of Watch Dogs and that’s gonna be a console buy anyways.

5. Joe_Gamer

I just want to know, why the fuck did this browser plugin even exist? More worthless DRM from lamest duck in all of PC gaming. I don’t need U-play for my pirated games, so I guess I’ll just continue to not give Ubisoft any of my money.

6. Kristian

“This is why I don’t buy Ubisoft PC games.”

I hear you, but you don’t have to avoid them entirely:

Of course, if you are not interested in any of those games or you have those that you are interested in, then you are out of luck for now. But even in that case they may add games you are interested in later.

7. freedoms_stain

@5, it allows you to launch Uplay from the Uplay website – i.e. a function that nobody uses.

The kicker was that it had the potential to do a hell of a lot more than that.