WRC3: first gameplay footage shows Spanish track

Friday, 27th July 2012 08:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Black Bean’s upped a first proper look at WRC3 gameplay, giving a long look at the incoming rally title’s Spanish course.

There’s no HUD in it at all, so we could be in for a treat come October 12. The game’s releasing for PS3, PC, 360 and, thankfully, Vita. Looking hot. Check it out.

1. manamana

looks ok, Dirt3 looked better, imo. But it has nice long stages! Would be interesting to see the inboard camera while hearing the co-pilot.

2. Dimaco

Yup, Dirt3 already looks better than this… if only the Codies made a real rally game out of that engine, instead of that teenage-fest they turned Dirt into…

3. Patrick Garratt

Did Dirt 3 have proper single-player rally? Have to confess I didn’t look at it.

4. Dimaco

Can’t say it did… among the plethora of loud and (to me) senseless events you happened to be able to play some rally stages, but way too short ones, and poor in realism.
    (for example, in DIRT1 you had to repair your car in a set amount of time between stages, and stuff like that…)
    Tbh, you can also decide to play the rally stages alone (out of the Dirt Tour mode), but it remains a very shallow experience…
    If only Evo Studios came up with a true rally game… their WRC was awesome! (and Motorstorm feels kinda old right now)

5. Patrick Garratt

To me it all started to go wrong when they included multiplayer. I know why they did it. It was the biggest complaint of the McRae series towards the end of PSone (I think it was then), so they felt they had to patch up sales by adding racing. The best rallying I remember on console was McRae 1 and 2. Just brutally hard stages that last forever and require total concentration. It’s so rewarding. I understand it’s not really commercial, but it’s a bit weird that no one’s done a proper XBLA/PSN game, or something.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to this.

6. Ge0force

I didn’t like Dirt 2 (too short/few real rally tracks, hated circuit races etc…) so I didn’t even bother to buy Dirt 3 since Gymkana is not my cup of tea.

This game looks awesome tho, I’ll probably even pre-order it.

7. Dimaco

I know what you’re saying there! McRae 1&2, they could really destroy your psyche! 4-5 minutes long stages with virtually no chance to catch up after one error only… could turn frustrating at times but yeah, Dirt is nowhere near that.

I was held back on buying previous WRC games by the really poor technical aspect… but if this turns out a bit better than its predecessor, I might give it a chance.

P.S: the whole racing thing has nothing to do with rally, and the drifting… god, the drifting!

8. Patrick Garratt

Well, here’s hoping! I’ll get in touch with them to ask some questions, see if I can get some more footage, etc.

9. Dimaco

@8 cool!

10. SyNx153

Driving looks pretty good =)

11. BraveArse

@Pat – Can you ask them about the Vita control system? If it’s x=accelerate like Codies stupidly did the Vita F1 then I’ll have to go big screen with it. No reason it can’t be on the right stick…

Really looking forward to this. Dirt, imo, when you remove that vaseline off the lens isn’t all that, graphically ( bloom is the worst thing to happen in games since Bobby Kotick imo ). And the series’ handling went down the pan after CMR4.

12. manamana

@Ge0force I really don’t like all this Gymkana stuff and had to get through it, just to unlock the other stuff. But Rallye wise the later stages are longer and really nice. I absolutely adore the Monte Carlo stuff, especially col de turin. Nothing like a night run there, albeit far too short …

I also kept Dirt1, as it is more realistic and has longer stages. But graphics wise Dirt3 is really impressive, imo. I hope for a McRaeish Rallyeracer on next-gen, though.

13. treborr

Is there a demo planned? It’s looking interesting but I really wanna know how it plays. Strapped for cash too!

14. DSB

The driving model looks a little wonky from that video. Doesn’t seem to be a lot of response from the road. It looks like you’re just being blown along.

Dirt 3 had a similar problem. It was gorgeous, but it was obvious that Codemasters are still cutting corners. When seen from the inside, the car is jumping and you’re taking a beating, but then as soon as you look at it from the outside, everything is perfectly stable.

It’s not a terrible oversight, and Dirt 3 would still be fun if it was actually about rally. I do think a real rally game needs a lot of physics though, kinda like Colin McRae used to have.