Dawnguard “not announced” for PC, PlayStation 3

Friday, 27th July 2012 01:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Bethesda marketing boss Pete Hines has poured a little cold water on hopes for a rapid PC and PlayStation 3 release of Skyrim’s Dawnguard DLC.

“We have not announced Dawnguard for any other platform, nor given a timeline for any such news,” Hines said on Twitter.

“If we have news, I promise I’d tell you.”

Dawnguard, the first expansion for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, hit Xbox 360 on June 26. Although as Hines notes Bethesda made no promises, we all assumed that other platforms would benefit after an exclusivity period – usually 30 days.

Welp. No vampire slaying (or joining) for the rest of us just yet.

Thanks, IGN.

1. SlayerGT

While I do own the PS3 version of this game and am close to completing the main quest, this news doesn’t really upset me too much. I hate to say it but since Dragons Dogma came out I haven’t been able to stop playing it. Its just more..fun :/

2. R3D_ONE

Come on, really we waited for the Alleged month , only to find out that they didn’t actually say it and there might be a chance that it will never get released for PC,PS3 ! , according to logic they will release it… just a matter of time , but that tweet makes me doubt they will ever release it. Like a slap in the face or kick in the balls x_x

3. Giskard

@2 They will release it on PC, at the very least.

Would be stupid not to. Most of the users are still on PC.

4. Heartfyre

@3 Yes, it’ll definitely be released on PC, and the proof is in the game itself. On the Statistics screen, where it counts how many quests you completed, there is a “Dawnguard Quests Completed” record.

It’s coming, but it’s taking far too long. In two weeks, it’ll be nine months since Skyrim released, and we’ve yet to get any more content. There will be babies that were conceived on Skyrim’s release that will be born before Dawnguard is released to the greater masses. I don’t know what that fact has to do with anything, but it makes me mad regardless.

5. Dragon246

It will be released on both platforms sooner rather than later. Something tells me maybe the dlc is not selling as good as expected.

6. TheWulf

Things like this do make you lose respect for Bethesda, a bit.

No one likes a shameless money-whore, Beth. I don’t know how much MS is paying here, but it’s not worth the harm to your reputation.

7. Christopher Jack

& this is why I hate this exclusiveness crap, even when it arrives on my preferred platform. No doubt that it will eventually come to PC & PS3 but it fragments its userbase. Another issue that annoys me is the preorder shit, I don’t mind it being an incentive to preorder the game you don’t need 5 different fucking packs for each major retailer.

8. TD_Monstrous69

U know, I thought Bethesda would’ve maybe stopped screwing with their fanbase that plays their games on the PS3 with Skyrim, but yet again, I’m proved wrong. I can get why they did a 3rd party timed exclusivity deal on dlc with Microsoft, because the Elder Scrolls is a popular franchise, and Microsoft is a rich groupie trying to intise people to get it for 360, baggage and all (don’t know what I mean, remember Skyrim’s launch?). But there’s absolutely no excuse for why this is, outside of bad planning, and this is doubly so for PC users. I mean, how long has Bethesda had dev kits for the PS3? Also, if I’m not mistaken, I can remember Pete Hines doing an episode of either G4′s feedback or an episode of GTTV around the time the DICE summit was taking place, and him (or it might’ve been Todd Howard) refering to Bethesda’s PC community as their bread and butter. I mean you could argue that they have the creation kit, but isn’t this a kick in the head to that community?

9. Phoenixblight

“refering to Bethesda’s PC community as their bread and butter. I mean you could argue that they have the creation kit, but isn’t this a kick in the head to that community?”

THe PC community doesn’t have a company paying them for timed exclusive same with PS3. Bathesda is a company first and foremost and its about getting a return for their investment.

10. TD_Monstrous69

@9 I get that, and Bethesda has every right to pursue content deals with whomever they choose. But it still doesn’t change the fact that this is a problem they could’ve easily averted either through better communication, so assumptions could’ve been squashed early on, or better development planning for when the 360 grace period ended, so porting doesn’t take forever, or make people think who got Skyrim for systems other than Xbox 360 (as I did) question whether or not if this is ever coming at all for their system. It’s disingenuine is all I’m saying, and it’s something they’ve been pretty guilty of this gen. It’s something that just seems they could’ve learned from other releases they’ve had, and improved themselves, yet they remain stagnent.

11. Ge0force

It’s just lame to screw 2/3th of your customers for an exclusive deal with Microsoft. It’s sad how more and more publishers participate in this nonsense. And even if this DLC makes it to other platforms after a few months, it’s still lame. Maybe all pc- and ps3-owners should refuse to buy Bethesdas next game for the first three months after release.

12. Lord Gremlin

@11 More than 50% sales are on PC, now add PS3… They’re screwing way more than 2/3 of customers. Bethesda is one of the worst publishers out there, really.

13. freedoms_stain

@9, Treating the majority of your customers as 2nd class citizens doesn’t sound like a great business decision to me. More and more of the games industry is becoming guilty of this.

14. MidlifeAxe

I always say ‘Entertainment with profit in mind’, not ‘Profit with entertainment in mind’.

15. stretch215

Contrary to popular belief: skyrim sold more on 360 than ps3 and PC combined : http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

16. stretch215

So, they’re treating the “majority” of their customers just fine.

17. OrbitMonkey

And doesn’t it show, considering the actual game for those 2 lesser platforms is still riddled with bugs ;-)

18. Kabby

PC version has the same bugs. It’s just us nerds stupidly fix them for free.

19. OlderGamer

Sorry stretch, but the PC sales won’t likly relfect Steam numbers. And the game sells extremly strong on Seam. Not to mention the lack of steam representation but digital sales in general. PC is a digital community.

I don’t know what the real numbers are, but I am willig to bet you the PC sales are along the same level as the xb360 ones.

The low PC numbers only reflect the low number of retail boxes of the PC product sold in stores. And yes that number is no doubt horrible.

20. stretch215

Either way the Xbox customers are not in the minority, as eluded to by previous posters. Which was my point. And how the hell would you know anyway?

21. OlderGamer

You don’t know, and that is my point. But having the typical XB360 superiority complex doesn’t make it right either. If people wonder I and others have soured on MS, stuff like this is example.

22. Christopher Jack

@15, Even Vgchartz shows that’s not true & that’s still not factoring in digital sales. You’ll never get accurate sales statistics until Steam starts displaying sale figures or at least the publisher. I’d assume that the PC version has over half the total sales but can’t be sure, doesn’t make a difference either way.

23. viralshag

Just to say, this article had Beth saying the PC was selling three to one against other formats:

24. freedoms_stain

According to VGchartz Skyrim has sold 12 million, and their figures definitely do not include Digital, and PC+PS3 combine to >50% on retail alone. Add in digital sales, especially after the Steam sale last week, xbox is the minority compared to PC+PS3.

25. OrbitMonkey

You know I’m betting the bulk of the *exclusivity* deal Bethesda have with Microsoft, is that Bethesda don’t get charged for patching their games…

Cuz you know in the long run, that would cost them monies.

26. DSB

It’s pretty common for the PC to outperform other platforms. The major difference is in the number of titles which tend to be higher on consoles, but they generally make less per release.

I wonder how much Skyrim has actually sold though. If they had broken 20 million, wouldn’t they have made a release about that?

27. Joe_Gamer

Wow Stretch, those stats are WAY off lol. Not only do PS3+PC sales eclipse 360 sales but the PC will have the longest “tail” and continue selling copies long after the console market has moved on to the next “new shiny!”. They also receive more profit per sale from the PC copies(no console licensing fees), So I just cannot understand why they are pissing on the PC and PS3 customers. Some people think it’s because the PS3 version is taking too long and they are looking to release them at the same time and that’s the best theory I’ve heard so far, either way many PC gamers will now just pirate the DLC since Bethesda want to be dicks about it. PC gamers have that option so developers who want a slice of that market should consider how these console exclusives poison the PC communities against them.