Infinity Ward CV suggests next CoD will release on both current and next-gen systems

Wednesday, 25th July 2012 21:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Superannuation has posted another sleuth feature on Kotaku, and it, the anonymous researcher has cited the resume of Infinity Ward’s lead engineer and project manager, Andrew Aye. The CVG states he is working on an “unannounced title,” which is likely Modern Warfare 4 which is set for a release sometime in 2013 – if previous releases are any indication. Platforms noted for the game were Xbox 360, PS3, PC DX11, and “TBA” – which could either mean Wii U or the next console from Sony or Microsoft. Aye also noted he’s hard at it on “support game and engine development”, as well as being “responsible for setting technical direction and design for a new high-end DX11 code base”. This has lead Super to conclude the next CoD game from Infinity War will “be an entirely different game from the current-generation versions, as was the case for Call of Duty 2.”

1. Erthazus

Upgraded 1999 year old Id Tech 3 engine now with Direct X11.
    So, what does that mean? Oh… Tesselation.

It’s going to be really funny to see how they are going to make 60 frames per second on the next gen.

2. JRNO

Probably. And with that, I wouldn’t expect a completely new engine in the near future: it’ll still have to run on 360 and PS3.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Ok, hands up if you thought that this wasn’t going to be the case…

4. Erthazus

By the way, if next CoD game can be on the current gen and next gen with belts and whistles, i’m sure it can do more than 60 FPS on consoles, that’s for sure.

5. Phoenixblight

It makes too much sense for them not to do this.

6. Da Man

#1, it means you’re yet to master the grammer.

PC fanbois are like racist people or DEA agents. It doesn’t matter how much sense you try and talk with them, they don’t mind the subject, they mind some imaginary war.

7. G1GAHURTZ

@4: I haven’t got a clue what that’s supposed to mean.

@5: Indeed.

8. Erthazus

@7, If the same game will be ported on the next gen but with better effects i think CoD on the next Xbox or Playstation can have more frame rates. I think.
    More than 60 frames.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Wow.

I hope someone else can understand whatever it is you’re trying to say.

10. Gadzooks!

They did a pretty good job with CoD2 at the 360′s launch. It still holds up really well against the latest CoDs. Plus, that had 4 player splitscreen at 60fps. Probably my favourite CoD.

I wouldn’t expect a brand new CoD engine at next gen launch. I’d expect a new engine in the game after that though. I think CryEngine would be a good fit.

11. monkeygourmet

Well, ain’t that a thang?!

Kind of expected, still gonna be awesome just to see old and new franchises on new(ish) tech!

Right now I’m at bursting point to see the new line up of consoles! I thought there would def be some info 2 e3′s back!!!

So know its just a crazy waiting for the new shiz to kick in…

I had an orgasmatron moment the other day, imagining a new Red Dead Redemption with direct x 11 style effects and co-op etc, etc…

Gonna be sooooo sweet! :)

12. MidlifeAxe

Hopefully they’ll put up a new engine for next gen. It’s certainly a good opportunity. I know id said they weren’t releasing their Tech 5 engine but maybe if Activi$ion can strike a deal with them…

13. Edo

@12 “I know id said they weren’t releasing their Tech 5 engine but maybe if Activi$ion can strike a deal with them…”
    You mean Zenimax Media right,the guys that also own Bethesda game studios?They are the owners of that game engine as well as Id software.

14. MidlifeAxe

@13 My bad – whoever owns it then. If not, I don’t see why Activision can’t put a team together to make an engine and then that opens other avenues such as licensing it to other game developers (£££). EA did it with Frostbite minus the latter.

15. Phoenixblight

No that won’t happen Zenimax specifically told ID they aren’t selling engines anymore. Its proprietary. COD will have to continue to use the engine they have now with it being modified or they will have to look at other engines maybe UE3. They won’t go for the heavy hitters(UE4,Cry Engine) just not their style.

16. MidlifeAxe

@15 Why not UE4?

17. Phoenixblight

The price point. Thats why they picked Id tech 3 its because it was older thus cheaper for them to utilise.

18. MidlifeAxe

@17 Fair point. I don’t see them utilizing other engines though – I think they’d go in and build their own.