Rumour – GRID 2 in active development

Thursday, 5th July 2012 00:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

According to OXM UK’s rumours page, via CVG, Codemasters’ GRID development team is even now back at work on a sequel, which is expected to surface after the release of F12012 in September. The first GRID launched on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2008, as part of the much-loved TOCA Race Driver franchise.

1. Pytox

:o

2. Ireland Michael

Do want. Still one of my favourite racing games of this generation.

3. Maximum Payne

Its one of rare game that was well received critically , commercially and well received by users but sequel no where to be found :D

4. BULArmy

Good, very good, the first is one of my favorite racing games.
    I was very surprised that Codemasters made so much DiRT games, when in my mind GRiD can appeal to more mainstream audience.

5. TheBlackHole

6. Maxey

Nice, I hope they don’t go for the soft-bloom look again. It was a bit distracting in the first game, it’s like we were racing in a dream world.

7. Fin

Excellent!

8. K-V-C

please be true i really loved the first one :)

9. Deacon

was GRID the one with the wishy-washy controls? it felt like there was half a second input lag which stopped me from playing it for long.

maybe I’m getting confused between GRID and Split / Second…

10. Maxey

#9 I’ve been playing GRID for the last couple of days and the controls are very tight.

11. DSB

I’m a little worried. Codemasters haven’t actually made anything truly worth playing since the original GRiD.

@4 The DiRTs haven’t really been about rally over the last two games, they’re all about the X-Games nowadays. Having a 15 year old American kid calling you bro and amigo every time you select something in the menu, strikes me as a pretty desperate attempt to bring in people who don’t give a shit about any kind of sport.

12. xxJPRACERxx

@9 Yes it is and with cars that don’t feel like cars at all (the same problem with all Codemasters games really)

13. DSB

@12 Is that a bad thing? Guns don’t feel like guns, boobs don’t feel like boobs and people don’t feel like people in games most of the time.

Personally I’ve stuck with TOCA since TOCA 2, and they’ve pretty much kept a similar driving model throughout the games. I think it’s brilliant, and far more exciting than any other racer out there.

I tried Shift. That was stiff as fuck. I tried Forza, that was just boring and slow. Need for Speed is barely about driving these days. Personally I haven’t found anything to compete with GRiD.

I don’t blame anyone for preferring the simulators, but personally I don’t get nearly the same thrill out of those as I would on a technical course in a real car when I play those, either. I’d much rather have a fun, designed experience than a boring, carefully engineered one.

I agree that the engine is far from perfect, and driving from anything but the first person perspective does make it look pretty crap.