Mobile gaming isn’t a threat to traditional games industry, says Troedsson

Saturday, 30th June 2012 22:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE GM Karl Magnus Troedsson doesn’t believe mobiles are a threat to the consoles business, despite some industry professionals’ opinions.

“People are generally correct that things are changing, and a lot of people in this industry are acknowledging that – some people don’t want to see it, though,” Troedsson, told Edge. “But I would also say the people who are painting such a grim picture of where we’re going are wrong.”

Troedsson instead believes the broadening of available platforms will benefit the industry.

“Yes, people are playing more on their mobile devices, but I don’t see people playing on other SKUs as a problem for triple-A developers, it’s actually the contrary,” he said. “I think people engaging in any kind of gaming is good for all games, because it means that people will play more.

“I consider myself to be a hardcore, triple-A kind of player, and I definitely play more on my mobile devices now, but I don’t play less on my other devices as a result. When I’m home, I want to play games with the absolute most hi-def, best audio, best visuals that I can get out of a gaming session. And that will come from dedicated hardware or a very high-end PC.”

He also feels consoles in the home will remain the main way people will game.

“There will always be a demand for games that require a lot of hardware to deliver a really hi-def experience,” he said. “Whether that will be delivered by CPUs and memory sitting in your room, or somewhere else, I don’t know. Probably both. But one thing is for sure, people will continue to want to play the best-looking games out there.”

1. Maximum Payne

Finally someone said it.

2. AHA-Lambda

bu-bu-but but iOS is killing gaming! waaah! waahh! waahh!

3. rrw

it’s as much as threat as flash game threat PC gaming

4. TheWulf

Interesting that I’ve been spending a lot of time puttering around with games and things on my iPad lately, then. Some of the stuff that’s released on there is more interesting than a lot of what I’ve played, lately. And far more interesting than the mainstream.

Sorry, but MacGuffin’s Curse is far more appealing a game to my mindset than Manshoot & Manstab XI: The Testosterone Rages Again.

5. domnage

Why there’s a colored dog photo on that 80′s brick phone? so funny xD

6. Ireland Michael

@3 If you like the Limbo / Braid style of gameplay, check out a little title on iOS called Nihilumbra.

7. Anders

Mobile gaming has been slowly killing handheld games for years, so in that sense, I disagree with him. But I don’t think that Microsoft and Sony will need to worry about the sales of PS3 or Xbox 360 just yet.

8. AHA-Lambda

@7 – yes, this make more sense to me, the only viable threat to consoles I’d say is the cloud or smart tvs.

9. TMRNetShark

I definitely think that in the next 2-3 years, mobile phones will be as powerful as hardware dating back to 2005 (aka, 360/PS3). When that happens… when you can play games that look as good as games today on your phone… there is no need for a console.

PC gaming will likely remain as PC gaming.

10. John117

@9 Seriously, who prefers playing on a little touchscreen instead of playing on the tvscreen with a controller… It seems far’fetched for me, phone games are great for passing time in the bus but at home I rarely bother use it for anything else than chacking if I got a message… Yeah, maybe they will make bigger phones with thumbsticks so you can play shooters? Then you have the Xperia which seemed like a fail for me, good graphics or no…

11. DreamCleaver

@10 – Perhaps, in the future, you can hook the phone into a HDTV and attach a controller to the phone. Then you won’t be needing to have a big box lying around. Hell, the phone might even be the controller. Only problem I can see is the cooling, though. But, we’ll see, won’t we? :D

12. Phoenixblight

No one is going to hook up their phone like that especially with the battery power. If anything the big three will eventually have a microconsole like Onlive.

13. Ireland Michael

@11 @12 I do this all the time with my phone and iPad, which both support Bluetooth controllers and HDMI output.

That’s pretty basic tech at this point.

14. Phoenixblight

But those devices will not render in 3d at least not to the level of PC and consoles.

15. OrbitMonkey

No gaming will always follow the domiant format , so until pc is usurped we’ll have games suited for that player.

16. Ireland Michael

@14 No, of course not.

17. Phoenixblight

“But here’s a shocker… most people don’t actually give a damn about “state of the art” graphics. They just want something fun.”

Agreed but the games made for those devices are aimed for casuals. I even play them in between breaks but when I am at home I am playing Skyrim, Darksiders and Bioshock. You can’t get that same experience from a tablet or phone. The games made for tablets and phones are pick up, play and fixed in what you can and can’t do within the game. Maybe when cloud gaming picks up people with these devices can play platform games on mobile devices but they won’t replace having the hardware and rendering it at home.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 The idea that all mobile games are “casual” is not only an outdated attitude, but more than a tad snobby.

There are plenty of games coming out right now for all the mobile platforms that have just as much depth as any console or PC… an ironic statement considering how much more casual, simplistic and easy games on those machines have become over the last few years.

I mean… of those you listed, take Skyrim for instance. Sure it has a huge gameworld, but it’s core gameplay mechanics are extremely basic. What once used to be one of the most elaborate, hardcore RPG franchises you could get has become the *epitome* of casual.

“You can’t get that same experience from a tablet or phone.”

Yes, you can.

And you can say games like Angry Birds are “casual” all you want, but I dare you to three star every level in those games without looking up a guide. Especially the “Seasons” one. Just because you don’t have to put hours into it at a time doesn’t mean it’s “casual”.

People seem to think that “hardcore” means pretty graphics and a long play time, when once it used to mean depth of gameplay and a fair challenge… two things that the vast majority of current console games lack in any respect.

19. G1GAHURTZ

What a load of gibberish.

What does game difficulty have to do with it?

The word ‘hard’ in hardcore has absolutely nothing to do with difficulty.

And for that matter, what does ‘hardcore’ have to do with games like skyrim?

Nothing!

20. Jerykk

Comparing something like Skyrim to something like Angry Birds is pretty ridiculous. Sure, Skyrim has been simplified compared to Daggerfall and Morrowind but it’s still significantly more complex than Angry Birds or any other game you’ll find on mobile devices. Note that a game doesn’t have to be complex in order to be challenging (as Angry Birds proves) but complexity does have a significant impact on learning curve and learning curve is what sets hardcore games apart from casual games.

21. Phoenixblight

“take Skyrim for instance. Sure it has a huge gameworld, but it’s core gameplay mechanics are extremely basic.”

There is no phone game that has the depth of content that Skyrim has. It may have basic mechanics but what it loses in mechanics makes up in the amount of content.

“Board games and card games especially have been getting something of a second renaissance on mobile platform. And these formats are *perfect* for strategy games.”

Thats where the pick up and play comes in. I take my turn then I go back to work and I can come to later when I have downtime.

“And you can say games like Angry Birds are “casual” all you want, but I dare you to three star every level in those games without looking up a guide. ”

I have gotten a multitude of levels on three stars without looking up a guide.

As far casuals I am talking about the demographic not the game type. The people that play 2-4 hours of a game a week are considered casual and the people that put in more than 10 hours are considered hardcore. You need to get off your holier than thou attitude especially since its not called for.

22. G1GAHURTZ

There are two issues here…

One is whether or not casual games are comparable to core games. The other is whether or not mobile devices can run core games.

As for the first issue, then IMO, there’s no comparison right now. A casual game is a casual game, and a core game is a core game. They are deliberately designed to be played in completely different ways.

As for the second issue, then tbh, I don’t see why not.

I have GTA 3 on my iPad right now. So with tablets like Microsft’s Surface coming out with more power and the ability to connect a 360 controller, I don’t see why core games couldn’t make a permanent move into the mobile gaming space.

You would, essentially, have a portable device, which is comparable to a mid range desktop PC. Probably able to run most core games on medium settings.

However, both of these issues are not what the article is about.

The article is talking about whether or not interest in hardcore gaming will decline as people get their gaming fix from casual stuff.

Which is possible, but I doubt it.

23. small44

@9 more powerfull smartphone means it should have much more better graphic witch mean developement budgets become highter means games will not be sold for 1 dollars that means a smartphone gamer will never buy games at this price.

24. TMRNetShark

@23 Ummm… Infinity blade 1&2 were both well above $1 yet both those games have sold over $30 million combined. Those two games have amazing 3D graphics, innovative use of a touchscreen, and they still cost around a tenth of the price of console games.

Fieldrunners has no fancy graphics, it has only 6 maps (2 which you must buy), and costs $2.99. I still play that game more than any other console game into the wee hours of the morning trying to formulate a good strategy! Just because 3D graphics make the game more expensive does not mean people won’t buy it.

Please, think more about the topic before… and use proper grammar.

25. Ireland Michael

@24 It should also be pointed out that Epic themselves have admitted that on a cost versus profit basis, Infinity Blade is the most profitable thing the company has ever done.

But hey, whatever, mobile gamers are just “casuals”. What would they know about PROPER games, right? They’re not smart like us, the hardcore.

Bunch of elitist snobs.