NPD: one-third of gamers prefer buying games digitally

Friday, 29th June 2012 14:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

NPD has published its 2012 Online Gaming report, and according to the firm’s findings, customers are becoming more confident with digital purchases as one-third said they would rather buy a digital copy of a game instead of a physical copy. This figure is up 10% compared to the number of digital consumers in 2011. The survey found that 40% of those who purchased games also bought at least one game in both digital and physical formats. The data was collected over a three month period with 8,500 participants.

1. AHA-Lambda

Ok correct me if I’m reading it wrong but why on earth would nearly half of those surveyed buy the same game twice just to have a digital and disc copy?

2. xxJPRACERxx

I presume this is for consoles since for PC I’m pretty sure the % is much higher.

3. xxJPRACERxx

@1 I have some games on both console (disc) and PC (digital download).

4. alterecho

I buy games both digital and online given the chance depending on my financial situation. I buy digital for the fact that its associated with my account forever. I buy boxed versions to overcome the steam DRM. I prefer GOG though.

5. ManuOtaku

I only buy the games digitally on PSN and XBLA and wii store, but just for the games i cannot find on Physical form and/or DLC, games like world of goo, minecraft,triales evoultion, journey,etc; If i could find those games on physical,then that will be my only choice, the only game i do own on both formats is Plants vs zombie on the 360, i dont remember why that did happened.