3DS XL hands-on video describes more natural 3D, nice graphics

Wednesday, 27th June 2012 20:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

French gaming site Puissance Nintendo has posted a video of 3DS XL being played with lovingly. We have to say, it looks rather large. All the better to see your games with, dearies. The site mentions the visuals scale rather well with the larger screens, and 3D appears more natural. Have a look for yourself below. You don’t need to understand French to glean that the fellas seem rather impressed. 3DS XL will run $199 in the US, and will release after the lucky gougers in Europe and Japan get it on June 28.

1. Gheritt White

Deffo getting one. 100%.

2. Moonwalker1982

I kinda ‘feel’for the 3DS buyers though. You buy a brandnew handheld, think it’s amazing and what not. And after awhile they announce another one, with stuff that could have been on it since day one. But you have to pay the whole amount of money again for it and thus try to sell your current one. Unlucky europeans(like me, but i wont buy one) don’t even get a power adapter with it. And still no second analog stick is just sad. They do have a add-on for it, so they realize the importance of it, sigh.

3. manamana

Jepp preordered, will sell my 3DS for this giant 3D screen.

Btw. Would it only come in June but it’s July 28th ;-)

4. polygem

i preordered as well and cannot wait. i love the 3ds. i recently sold my vita. to me the 3ds is so much better. i truly love lots of games for it and some amazing games are coming out soon. all that on the bigger screen…fantastic.
    @2: i personally didn´t buy one at launch. i bought mine when the mario 3d land bundle came out. i do not feel ripped off or something. not at all and i don´t know why i should be. the current 3ds is great. you really do not need to upgrade to xl. this is totally optional. some will even prefer the smaller size for more portability or the more stylish finish the current 3ds has. nintendo isn´t forcing anyone. imo the first 3ds has a great design, it is quality build,feels good in your hands and really is rock solid.
    the lack of the power adapter isn´t a problem at all. it is a trend we will see more and more. for good. it is saving costs, sure, but it is also more enviorment friendly (kind of pretending to be…ok). i for one have 2 ac adapters that fit for the 3ds anyway.
    second circle pad is not needed. not a t all. i don´t know why this is coming up all the time. there are so many great games for the 3ds and only 2 (i think) support the cpp.
    it is really up to developers to design for the console. i do not need fps or tons of tps on the 3ds. this system isn´t really designed for those kind of games in mind. it´s nice to have some of these games too, but you can play them without a second pad. RE worked fine. i do not need a RE on the 3ds though. for this stuff there´s the vita or isn´t it?

i think it is great timing for nintendo to launch it now with a screen size as big as the vitas. sony really needs to get their stuff sorted out, otherwise they are truly fucked. don´t get me wrong, i do not want sony to fail in the handheld department, but they really need to push the vita so much more if they want it to stand a chance against the 3ds. i found owning a vita was overall – and esp. when compared to the fun i have with the 3ds – a pretty boring experience.

5. Moonwalker1982

I see what you mean and i understand your point. But just like with Vita, i find that there’s still too little really interesting games for the 3DS. But that’s probably personal. I mean sure…Zelda OOT is great, and Resident Evil as well. I played Mario on my bro’s 3DS and it just ain’t doing it for me.

Ok sure Heroes of ruin looks cool and no doubt Castlevania later this year as well. But aside from those, what else is there?

6. fearmonkey

I stopped buying Nintendo handhelds after the original Gameboy advance.
    I bought it, and then less than a year later a much better model with backlighting was released. They did the same with the DS and DSi, so I just gave up on getting one near launch.

7. manamana

I stopped buying mobile phones after Nokia 5110. I bought it and then less than a year later a much better model was revealed …..

8. xino

still they couldn’t fix the damn circle pad:/

i guess I’ll be avoiding this.

no hand held has shown me a good reason why I should own them

9. chenfei

Annette Scherer.” Heavens! what a violent outburst!” the prince responded, not in the least disconcerted at such a reception. He was wearing an embroidered court uniform, stockings burberry accessories and slippers, and had stars on his breast, and a bright smile on his flat face. He spoke in that elaborately choice French, in which our forefathers not only spoke but thought, and with those slow, patronising burberry bags intonations peculiar to a man of importance who has grown old in court society. He went up to Anna Pavlovna, kissed her hand, presenting her with a view of his perfumed, shining bald head, and burberry outlet online sale complacently settled himself on the sofa.CF

10. polygem

@xino: if you want two sticks just buy the vita! no problem. the 3ds doesn´t need two circle pads. if you need two sticks then the 3ds just isn´t the console for you and you wont enjoy most games that are for it. it just isn´t a shooter console and that is ok.

@fearmonkey: the current 3ds still is a rock solid console… many already even prefer it´s design over the 3ds xl design. it´s more stylish and more portable. all the current and the upcoming games will be playable just as good on it. no reason for complaining.

@moonwalker: yea it is about taste i guess. imo there are a lot of great games already, some of those have an insane replay value:
    -mario 3d land
    -mk7
    mario tennis
    -zelda OoT
    -pilotwings resorts (great relaxing game – i prefer this over UC golden abyss any day, and i really like the UC series)
    -mutant mudds
    -sakura samurai
    -colors (!!!)
    -dillons rolling western
    -pushmo
    -RE (wich wasn´t my cup of tea tbh, still a good game)
    -Kid icarus (the only game i had controls issues with, still good)
    and many many more i canot think of spontaneously…

then there are tons of ds games – tons. some of them are in my top 100 hall of fame of vodeogames, like zelda spirit tracks (will be great on the bigger 3ds screens – and by the way, this game doesnt´need ANY circle pad nor ANY d-pad – just the stylus, still it is a true gem and a challenging game)

upcoming games like
    -paper mario
    -nsmb2
    -kingdom hearts
    -the new layton game( will play this with my girlfriend)
    -luigis mansion

and more are just great too…
    to me tall this sounds great.