Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut DLC releases on June 26

Friday, 22nd June 2012 18:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Electronic Arts has announced the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut DLC will be available on June 26.

The pack expands upon the events at the end of Mass Effect 3 through dditional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes. It is said to provide deeper insight to Commander Shepard’s journey based on player choices during the war against the Reapers.

Below, you will also find a video interview with between Mass Effect 3′s community manager Jessica Merizan and producer Casey Hudson, and lead writer Mac Walters as they discuss the additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes.

Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut will be a free download on PC PS3 and Xbox 360. UK PS3 users will be able to download the DLC on June 27 with the regularly scheduled PS Store update.

1. KAP

Those anybody still care?
    I was one of those who loved ME3 then to get sucker punched with an WTF ending.
    My question is though is will people actually buy this again after the obvious probability of trading it in like I have?

I guess this is where YouTube comes in handy.

2. Stewn

This is the perfect excuse to dust ME3 off!

3. roadkill

I care! Thank you Bioware! If the ending is at least decent it’ll be a good enough reason for me to finish my fifth ME2 play-through and then advance that character through ME3. Fingers crossed now. :))

4. Ireland Michael

Awesome. Can’t wait.

5. Phoenixblight

Sweet I have another reason to restart ME3. Can’t Wait!

6. Clupula

So I guess this means I have to do that Galaxy at War shit again? Well, it’s a good thing I didn’t do anything excessively stupid like trade it in or anything.

7. Stephany Nunneley

Video featuring community manager Jessica Merizan, producer Casey Hudson, and lead writer Mac Walters discussing the added content has been added.

8. lkm

Only the ending will be changed right?

9. Froseidon

@8 – The ending isn’t being changed, they’re just explaining it through a few extra cut-scenes.

10. m2stech

There’ll be a new romance option with a She-Reaper!

11. Night Hunter

I actually had few problems with the ending, just with the ending sequence, felt kinda abrupt and just weird like they ran out of time.

The only two things they should really fix apart from the ending sequence is

SPOILER, OBVIOUSLY!

They should give you the possibility to challenge spacekids logic and they should really extend the scene as a whole and give you more information on why the reapers are doing what they are doing. As it is now a lot of things are (strongly) implied (saving civilizations in the form of a reaper but at the same time removing the risk of unleashing synthetics on the galaxy who will wipe out ALL synthetic life, space faring or otherwise and thereby actually protecting the still underdeveloped species). Actually I thought it was a damn shame that the writing was so … simplistic in these aspects as it lead to this oversimplified piece of shit meme: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/25613/2147028-yodawgme.jpg

It just felt like a lot of people didn’t get it because they just left the whole thing out there without really spelling it out and if television has learned us anything it is: make your plot as clear as humanly possible because people will not understand it otherwise. If you have to spell it out for them, do it, make it absolutely plain, hell, say the same thing 3 times if necessary so people will really get it!

Just my 2 cents of course

12. daytripper

As a fan I felt disappointed in the ending but I would love to see this constructive criticism Casey Hudson was talking about, all I have read is insults and people being done with the series. Now since this DLC date has been announced today all I have read on various forums like neogaf, euro gamer etc is how players won’t download it but intend to YouTube it, the dlc is a waste of time as nobody cares about the series and the DLC will be rubbish anyway. I love thought out criticism and ideas to improve things yet I’m not seeing it.

Seriously you expect criticism for anything creative but the constant flow of negativity today in some parts to me is too much, too much hyperbolic shit it makes me wonder why people thrive on it so much. This community can be bad at times but no where near as much as some.

13. Night Hunter

@12: I wholeheartedly agree, although I think that there was a lot of constructive criticism. It was just drowned out by a lot of “BIOWARE IS DEAD TO ME!” You know, because all caps is super serious ;)

14. Samuel

I wasn’t one of the people who flipped out over the ending or anything, but while listening to what he’s saying in this video, I could only think, “why wasn’t this in the game in the first place?”

The things he’s saying, like you’ll see the consequences of all your decisions made throughout all the games reflected in the ending… that’s what I, and I think most people, expected all along. And I think that’s reasonable. I love Bioware but why they didn’t think to include that in the game from the start is beyond me.

15. Night Hunter

@14: I would guess because of the story leak. They tried to write a different ending and ran out of time, plain and simple …

16. Ireland Michael

@15 What was the ending of the story leak, actually? I’ve never read it, so I have no absolutely idea if it’s remotely similar or not.

17. Henry

@16 Reaper was still good guys in the leaked script. They were trying to save the Universe from being devoured by Dark Matter, something foreshadowed in the ME2 mission where Tali joined you.

18. Henry

@8 New scenes will be added from the Cerberus Base mission onwards. So, to experience all new contents of Extended Cut, you need to load a save prior to the Cerberus Base mission.

19. viralshag

I was disappoint by the ending in my first run of ME3 but I thought everything else was superb. I’m just going to use this as an excuse to replay a brilliant game.

If it’s not much better than the first time, then I’m sure I will get over it again like the last time. No biggie.

20. DarthPenguin

Personally, I’m excited about this. I was ok with the ending, and MANY of the decisions I had made throughout the course of the 3 games reached their conclusions before the game ended, anyway. I honestly think that if ME3 had been its own standalone game instead of the end to an epic journey, no one would have said anything bad about the ending. What I really want to know is, what happens after? I mean, I have play-throughs where Shep is romantically involved with Tali, Liara, Ashley, Garrus, Jack, and Traynor. I want to know where these relationships go if Shepard survives, ESPECIALLY with Tali. As far as the people who have traded the game in already, well, if you visit sites like this one, then you probably knew this dlc was coming, and for free, and shouldn’t have traded the game in, and shouldn’t be griping about it now.

21. Ireland Michael

@17 Wow, that’s even worse than what we got.

22. YoungZer0

@21: It probably would’ve made more sense. What i don’t get is why there needs to be a twist ending at all. The goal was clear, everyone just wanted to save earth and be done with it. No, no Deus Ex Machina, please.

Why destroy a simple but satisfying ending with mindfuck that doesn’t make sense?

23. bo_7md

Most of the complaints were around the fact that the end didn’t reflect all your choices in the games (1,2,3). the ME series has always been about choice, and the ending changes with every choice you make; in 3 people were surprised that they get the same 3 endings no matter how they played previously.

The story didn’t make sense, and is proof that artistic writing is actually a talent not a skill. It felt more like a book with torn pages than a subtle story. A lot of missing information that they apparently removed to keep it vague added-up to create the LoL piece they gave people.

Personally, the most annoying thing they did was adopt the Indoctrination theory and not own up to their problems.

24. Ireland Michael

@23 Or maybe they didn’t adopt it at all and people are just assuming shit.

25. Henry

>>”proof that artistic writing is actually a talent not a skill”
    LOL

>>”the most annoying thing they did was adopt the Indoctrination theory”
    No, I don’t think they are adopting IT. They explicitly said that the Extended Cut will not change the ending drastically. It will just expand the current endings.

26. GwynbleiddiuM

Let’s face it, if it was something that was good and BioWare actually worked on it with great care, it would’ve been on ad boards of every website like all the marketing EA does for their DLCs. If it was any good they wouldn’t have announced it 3 days before releasing it. I sure hope so that I’m wrong on this but it feels that way.

27. OrbitMonkey

^ Why would they go to any great length to advertise this? The ending they had to write because of a fan lashback? Their probably embarrassed by the whole thing.

28. Cozzy

@27 And the fact they aren’t making money off it so why would they pay for the advertisements.

29. Henry

Yeah, it’s an embarrassing incident and will not make more money, so it’s understandable that they choose not to advertise it.

But announcing it with such a short notice is still weird. I don’t get it either.