Sony executive has “no regrets” over PS3 launch price, timing

Tuesday, 12th June 2012 03:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony doesn’t look on the PlayStation 3 as the loser of this generation, according to head of hardware marketing John Koller.

“There’s no secret that we opened behind a high price point. And certainly others got a relatively nice head start on us because of that. That’s certainly been part of it,” the executive told Kotaku when asked why PlayStation 3 hasn’t dominated this generation the way the PSOne and PS2 did.

“But we absolutely have no regrets. This has been a very good cycle for us, and I think if you ask any publisher they’d say the same thing. It’s been good, and we think it does portend good things for the future for PlayStation.”

Asked whether Sony might have shifted more hardware with a lower price or an earlier launch, Koller said Sony made the best of it.

“You can’t always do everything at the same time. Given what we’ve had – and to do what we’ve done – I don’t think we have any regrets,” he reiterated.

Koller said Sony is “pleased” with the console’s overall sales and attach rate.

“We have a very profitable consumer. If you’re a retailer or anyone else that sells PS3s, you’re more than pleased with the PS3′s performance,” he said.

The PlayStation 3 has totted up 63 million sales worldwide, and although it falls far behind the Wii’s sales, is the leading HD console in Japan and Europe.

1. DLTDawnlight

PS3 was a latecomer. It did not gain momentum until 2008. Since then, it started to take off especially in 2009 when it matched its price with that of the 360.

2. TMRNetShark

Don’t beat yourself up Sony… who knew that 8 generations of the same shooter would be really popular? In my eyes, Sony is easily a winner because of the library of more diverse games instead of the big 3 shooters (Cod, Halo, Gears of War)…

3. dtyk

I thought PS3 was incredibly successful all things considering. They HAD to launch when they did, or it would’ve been too late. Also, I’d never have expected a game looking as good as Uncharted or God of War to be possible on such limited hardware.

4. loveaya

Oh yeah, SONY never regretted~

5. Dannybuoy

@3 it’s not that limited. It’s a very complex and powerful architecture which is still being tapped for power. It’s only really limited by the skill and determination of the developers.

6. Ge0force

They shouldn’t regret. The later launch time gave us an affordable blu-ray player and a very low fail-rate. And the free online gaming made the ps3 much cheaper than the x360. But I hope Sony will be less cocky in their communications next time.

7. Da Man

who knew that 8 generations of the same shooter would be really popular?
    Sony, obv. Which is why they’ve been trying to imitate Halo’s success since 2004, and ‘ve produced 3 Resistances and 3 Killzones all in between 2 Halo titles. Gears isn’t among the three most popular ones, Battlefield is (being the casual, highly advertised CoD clone), and it’s on all platforms.

MS had, without a doubt a superior line-up until 2009, from the flagship Halo and GoW. Pgr, to Lost Odyssey, Fable and Ninja Gaiden. The Live Arcade library is still ahead of what’s on PSn.

Seeing as how on release Psn was a joke compared to Xbl, there was no two ways about the pricing..

8. Dragon246

Just dont price your next console that much and others would also have no regrets.

9. RoyBrown

BULLSHIT!

10. Gadzooks!

#3

This is on what Sony fanboys desperately want to believe is inferior hardware. We know that isn’t the case, of course, as this magical Cell architecture has been outpaced every step of the way.

So yes, Sony should be filled with regret for losing around a half of their market share, pissing the entire profits from the PS1&2 up against the wall and ending up with dead-end technology that will be discarded, forcing devs to retrain yet again.

Last place has never been more deserved.

11. Erthazus

“If you think those games look good for the hardware then you should check out games like Witcher 2 on 360.”

Great example of a PC port that looks like crap with frame rate issues. also, great to know that Xbox 360 fanboy likes low quality graphics from a PC.

12. Gadzooks!

#11

You have not played it on 360. If you had, you would know better.

13. Fin

Shitty sub-hd textures are so shit?

14. Ge0force

“If you think those games look good for the hardware then you should check out games like Witcher 2 on 360. It not only looks better but does so without the restrictions of a 3 foot wide corridor.”

Uncharted 3 looks certainly better than The Witcher 2 on x360, and The Last of Us even more. Also, there are almost no 3 foot wide corridors in Uncharted. Lots of levels have great views!

15. Dragon246

@10,
    Xbox is certainly better for people like you who like to pay for free thing for online play.
    Also do you know the fact that Uncharted and Last of Us are the best looking games in this console generation.
    “Sony have damaged the game industry with thier awkward, resource-sapping machine ”
    That awkward machine has the most beautiful games on console.

“focus on gameplay-lite technical showcase ‘games’, and they are paying the price.”
    Yeah , COD and Gears Of War are very gameplay heavy where the only thing you do is shoot .

16. Gadzooks!

#14

Nah, Witcher 2 is easily the best looking console game I’ve seen. Thing is, all those lovely vistas you see in Uncharted from your narrow linear path you can get to in the Witcher.

Graphics AND freedom/scope. A potent combination.

17. daytripper

@2 and if the likes of Killzone and Starhawk were massive chart toppers it would change from that viewpoint to something along the lines of ” free online with some of the biggest multiplayer shooters out there”. Full of shit, Sony would love an IP like Halo exclusive to their platform and some of you would change your attitudes then. Cheer leading hypocritical pettiness. Fuck off with it, fooling no one.

18. Erthazus

@Gadzooks, I know how Xbox 360 version looks and what settings enhanced edition are on xbox 360. (PC with update have the same enhanced edition)

and it’s not very good. Xbox 360 version is just a cheap port of a PC version with low visuals, with lowest resolution possible and it looks awful. Medium settings on the PC is something that is close to console multiplatform and it’s not even in the Xbox 360 version.

Oh yeah, and CD Projekt Red used a different palette so Xbox 360 could not look So bad because 360 can’t use decent HDR, bloom effects together with dynamic lightning. But hey, at least xbox 360 got one good game.

19. Ge0force

#16: Then look again, The Witcher 2 on xbox360 doesn’t even come close to this:

20. Da Man

Gadzooks, please don’t mind that mental patient. He literally has nothing better to do other than posting here and playing video games.

Poor thing finds immense joy in paraphrasing random internet people and fighting the good fight for his perceived ‘good developers’.

I’m still baffled why he doesn’t piss off to vg247.ru since he barely reached the middle school level of engrish anyway.. Truly an idiot..

But hey, let the poor thing be happy..

21. Gadzooks!

#18

You don’t know how it looks. Just like with every subject, you try to bullshit but it’s blatantly obvious that you simply don’t know what you are talking about.

22. absolutezero

Oh hay guys still going on about this then?

Halo is shit.

23. Erthazus

@21, yah yah yah, i don’t know how it looks. Of course. I’m a huge fan of this franchise since it’s first release and of course I don’t know how it looks on both platforms.

Keep saying to yourself that it looks good. But hey, you never played other good looking games, maybe it looks good for you :D on your lonely Xbox 360.

“You have been called on your lying and lack of understanding too many times. Nothing you say, not a single word, can be taken seriously.”

Link or GTFO with your fantasies.

@DaMan, “He literally has nothing better to do other than posting here and playing video games.”

So now i’m playing videogames? Wowzer. I remember you said that i post too much and don’t have time to play or do something else.
    But so far Tard Man you are the only one who is trolling this site. Maybe you should visit N4G or VG247 Rip Off for additional score? :D

Go back to Halo, son. Your stupid online friends aka children awaits you.

@22. “Halo is shit”

PREPARE for massive Xbox 360 fanboy trolling!

24. Da Man

You silly person, posting a wall of misspelled shizophrenical gibberish which can be summed up as ‘NO U’, then trying to insult me..

You really need a new psyche, brah.

You know it’s true..

Edit – srsly, Erzatwat you do realize each and every post of yours is the same wall of bla bla bla? At least have a purpose.

25. Da Man

And what on earth is ‘yah’?

…..
    . -_-

26. Ireland Michael

@23 What exactly *is* your point, Erth? The graphics aren’t as good… so what? The gameplay is still fully intact.

I’m currently playing through Terranigma on my dusty old SNES and it’s a more engrossing experience than 90% of the JRPGs that I’ve played in the current console generation.

27. Gadzooks!

#19

What was the point in posting that image? Bullshots, target renders and cutscenes mate, that’s the Sony way. Chicanery and misdirection.

I owned a PS3 for a little over a year. I’m acutely aware of its limits and the scope of games on it when visuals push other considerations aside.

28. Deacon

@ Gadzooks!

“Sony have damaged the game industry with thier awkward, resource-sapping machine and focus on gameplay-lite technical showcase ‘games’, and they are paying the price.”

They have definitely affected their bottom line via their awkward hardware choice, but a blatant MS-lover stating that Sony have ‘damaged the industry’ I find a bit of a fucking stretch.

I also wasn’t aware that games had to be completely open and explorable in order to not be shit. Thanks for the heads-up.

(Terranigma IS one of the greatest RPG’s of all time. FACT)

29. Ireland Michael

@28 <3

30. ManuOtaku

I think if behind close doors, sonys top dogs thinks this way,and this is their true feelings about it, then i fear for the worse when the ps4 comes, is like the things they didnt handle so well with the ps3, and the ones that some of us can debate, put sony in the situation it is right now in the videogames division, loosing the first place and loosing almost 50% of their installed base, indicates me they are going to do the same thing with their next console, therefore a console that is something between 600$ and 800$ is not that far off, please dont said i need to sold my soul to the devil in order to afford one this time.

31. Ireland Michael

@30 It’s not. They’re lying through their teeth to save face.

32. Gadzooks!

#28

Sony made a big issue of pushing visuals this gen, and did so at the great expense of gameplay and scope. Others were forced to follow suit and gaming as a whole has suffered as a result of the pixel arms race.

And I didn’t say all games have to be fully open, but the number of strict linear path and/or limited interaction games around (on all platforms) is depressing.

So when a great looking game with depth and scope comes along, its gonna stand out as special.

33. Deacon

@30 – I hear ya, but I don’t think that’s going to be the case. They openly admit that they went in with a high price point with PS3, but with everything that’s been said about the next cycle I very much doubt they’ll price themselves out of contention this time around.

In my mind someone was always going to come along and take a piece of their pie. Ok they lost a lot, but this was not only due to the high cost, but the headstart by MS and the fact that their line-up seems/seemed perfectly suited to the US demographic.

They can’t be too upset that they have the biggest selling HD console in Japan and Europe, and I think they’ve learnt where they went wrong this gen. I hope so at least.

34. ManuOtaku

#31 and #33, i hope so, i will buy a next sony machine for sure, and a microsoft and nintendo for that matter,and i really think that i can afford it, money speaking, but i dont want a console that cots that much, really i want to save the most i can torwards next gen 8D

35. Deacon

@32 fair comment and I agree with you. But companies striving for visual perfection at the loss of gameplay is hardly something unique to Sony, and has been happening for many many years before the PS3 hit shelves.

I applaud Microsoft and the 360 for it’s social innovations, but as far as paying for online and leaning on iterative IP’s, I think the 360 has harmed the industry far more than a handful of ‘great-selling but linear’ games on PS3.

I find it hard to be unbiased on topics such as this, but that’s generally how I see it.

36. Joe Musashi

JM

37. Da Man

#33 Sorry, what?
    They have more than enough of a ‘line-up’ for NA.

On the contrary, fact is plenty of their software is more suited for the japs..

38. Ireland Michael

@36 Please don’t jinx it.

39. Deacon

@37 – I meant MS’ software was/is more suited to the US ‘desires’.. not Sony. The way I wrote that was a little confuzzled.

I fear I’ve already said too much, so I’m out.

40. ManuOtaku

#39 Deacon transform into beacon and you will be fine getting out.

41. Da Man

One of the most common types of nationality amongst Halo players is french..

Resistance was an fps.

Oh well.

42. Joe Musashi

@38 This discussion is already beyond jinxing by the looks of the predictably petulant arm waving and non-points already on display.

JM

43. viralshag

@42, Good to see you’ve added two of your own unrelated non-points too.

Oh darn, now I have. Well I blame you. ;)

44. ManuOtaku

#42 “predictably petulant arm waving and non-points already on display”
    Like yours, right
    #43
    You beat me, i need to be more fast with this, next time i wont quote it would save some time , i guess 8D

45. OlderGamer

Crazy fanboy bait, this.

46. Gadzooks!

#35

I might use that last sentence as a forum signature. In fact I think it should be standard issue on Vg247! :D

47. Joe Musashi

@43 My comments are 36th and 42nd. That’s a good 40 or so other comments you conveniently overlook to make your own non-point.

Besides, once the regular platform trolls have swooped down from their perch, the discussion is doomed. This is demonstrated at length in many other topics.

Though, feel free to overlook that well established pattern of behaviour as it suits. I’m sure many will.

JM

48. Gadzooks!

Re: non-comments.

I like to call it ‘the perceived cult of personality delusion’. Basically you can’t win friends and influence people on forums. You piss in the wind and you just accept that your trousers are going to end as stenchy as the guy you are pissing at.

Some prefer to pretend they smell of roses. They don’t.

49. viralshag

@47, 40 or so other comments that ARE NOT non-points included, which leads me to believe you only came to comment on the trolling/fanboying that’s going on. Which in my opinion is called adding fuel to the fire.

And it’s roughly at this point in most platform/game arguments you wade in with a non-point of your own. That’s the pattern I choose not to overlook and comment on.

Calling it as I see it. ;)

50. Dragon246

I think we are forgetting here one of the most profitable aspects of ps3 for sony. It was ps3 which enabled sony to win format wars (blu-ray vs. hd-dvd) which results in them getting a commission on every blu-ray sale. So I think some of their early losses are covered this way.

51. OrbitMonkey

WelWell in terms of software development Sony have no regrets. They’ve got great results out of Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog. Helped Insomniac explore new fps territory with Resistance and fully support more esoteric fare on the indie side with Journey and the soon to be released Black Swan.

Microsoft on the other hand have killed Rare, Lionhead and fully collaborated in the CoD behemoth…

52. Joe Musashi

@49 You chose to misinterpret the number I highlighted. Well done.

Now, fun with metaphors:

I’m commenting on the smoke. And we all know there’s no smoke without fire.

This differs from those that run around setting things alight and then sniffing the air in mock innocence and asking where the burning smell is coming from.

Feel free to completely overlook the rampantly obvious firestarting as you carry on making observations about the nature of the smoke.

JM

53. viralshag

@52, “Hmm.. the gang’s not all here yet. But I’m sure the jester will be along shortly.”

Looks like antagonistic fire starting to me…

Anyway, I’m commenting on the smoke. And we all know there’s no smoke without fire.

54. Deacon

@46 – I thought someone might appreciate that! :D

55. Ge0force

#51 Don’t forget Microsofts share in pushing payed DLC, by refusing DLC the devs wanted to offer for free and making huge deals for timed exclusive DLC.