Nintendo’s “thrust for the hardest of the core” is great online functionality, strong third-party support

Wednesday, 6th June 2012 21:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

NOA CEO and president Reggie Fils-Aime has said it is very important for the firm to have franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Batman, Mass Effect available on Wii U.

Speaking with IGN during E3, Reggie said not only are popular and core franchises important for the console, but “strong third-party support on those genres,” or DLC if you will, is also “critically important.”

“Beyond that, we also know that there needs to be all of that great online functionality, which we’re going to have,” he said. “That’s our thrust for the hardest of the core.”

However, the casuals – those who rarely played games before Wii came along or who like smaller bits of playtime – won’t be left out either with Wii U. On the contrary, Nintendo wants consumers from every end of the gaming spectrum to have something to play on the new console.

“For the more casual consumer, what we need to have are great pick-up-and-play experiences, experiences that could be in a party-type atmosphere, all of the things that we’ve learned, candidly, with the launch of Wii,” Reggie explained. “And so we’ll also have all of those great games. Everything from SiNG to Just Dance 4 to Wii Fit U, to also games like Lego City – that’s why we’re publishing that game, even though it’s being developed by Traveler’s Tales.

“For us, we need to have that broad spectrum of gaming experiences, and if we do that, we’ll attract everybody. They won’t label themselves core versus casual. What they’ll say is, boy, I want to play that game. We need to make sure we have that game for them to play.”

As far as whether Wii U will be able to compete with next-gen systems, or current PS3 and Xbox 360 models for that matter, Reggie promises the console is a very “powerful system.”

“We’re about to launch a tremendously powerful system, a system that pushes out great graphics, a system that has an opportunity to do a lot of things,” he said. “What I’ve heard the fan community say is: ‘I want my Mario, I want my Zelda, and I want the best of third-party.’ That’s what we’re looking to bring to consumers.

“I think in the end, the consumer choice is going to be… once I buy my Wii U, that satisfies my Nintendo cravings and my cravings for all of these other great multi-platform franchises, then what is the role of a competitive platform?

“It’s going to have to live on the backs of some sort of unique proposition, or unique content, and to me that’s the million-dollar question. Of our potential competitors down the road, who’s going to have that compelling content that’s going to say, hey, now I need to branch out and pick up this additional system?

“I think it’s for them to answer.”

You can read the entire interview through the link, and find out what lessons he thinks Nintendo learned from the 3DS price-drop – hint: he has said the same thing before.

He also discusses whether the younger generation will be able to appreciate Pikmin like those of us who are apparently ancient did – being we owned a GameCube an all.

1. G1GAHURTZ

OK…

Lets see what sort of online system they have.

Seems strange that all they spoke about in the presentation was Miiverse.

Nothing seemed particularly hardcore about that as an online experience…

2. YoungZer0

I wonder how Nintendo expects to survive the next console generation. I mean they really alienated their core fanbase.

But then again Nintendo Fans are known to be masochists.

3. jdfoster00

He’s delusional…. Pickman 3… Miiverse… Themepark… Mario…. Honestly hard core iwll not be interested again… Awful…. Where would they go? Last Of Us or Mario 8 (Milk 8 more like)

4. Ireland Michael

@3 There have been less 3D platforming Mario games in the past 16 years than there have been Call of Duties in this generation of consoles alone.

Just sayin’.

5. Lord Gremlin

Well, they got themselves Ninja Gaiden 3 – the proper version with gore and all important stuff like actual combos, AI upgrade and 6 weapons + 3 ninpo. That’s something. Let’s see what they will offer at launch and then judge.
    After all, it’s not impossible for nintendo to get it right.

6. Malmer

All the 10 million people who wanted to play arkham city have already played it. They are not going to buy a new console just to steer their batarangs with the wiipad. And mass effect 3? Really, we’ve played that, hated the ending and tried to move on, found the witcher 2 and were happy again. ME3 is not a system seller in november.

7. Gekidami

…But 2D ones, and games whorishly using the Mario characters…

8. Anders

In two years, when developers will have to choose between releasing their games on Wii U or on Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4, Wii U will become for the next generation what Wii is for the current. Unless they have been able to recreate a new Wii Fit/Wii Sports phenomenon by then, Nintendo will be in big trouble.

Imagine what the company’s economy would look like today if Wii sales hadn’t taken off in 2008.

9. Gekidami

^ I think it’ll be dirt cheap so it’ll probably sell just for that. I’m not too sure if it’ll actually be cheaper than the current gen consoles though, it’ll be interesting to see if people pick it over the PS3 & 360 if they’re actually cheaper. I mean, why buy a WiiU to play Batman, when you can get the same game cheaper on a cheaper platform? Maybe the sales will start slow, then pick up once the other next gen platforms come out. But yeah, when that happens, third parties will treat it like the Wii again, making games on the Sony & MS machines rather than the WiiU.

I dont think it’ll have the ‘gimmick factor’ the Wii had either, which might seriously cost it a few sales. Really, the mass market isnt going to be taken in by the pad, and the motion stuff is the same, right down to the actual Wiimotes. So yeah, they’re selling a system that seems like its aiming at the core… But wont have the stuff the core wants.

It’ll be interesting to see how it turns out either way.

10. absolutezero

I love my Wii. I love the strange games that exist on it and nothing else. I find the lack of pomp and postuering about the games refreshing. I enjoy the odd JP titles that used to typify the best of the PS2 generation.

If the WiiU can be anything like that then im going to buy and enjoy owning one.

Not knowing the joys of Pikmin. Deary me, deary deary me.

Also im pretty sure I saw all of these arguements within the first year of the Wii’s life. Even before it came out in some cases.

11. Fin

By my completely unscientific count on this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_featuring_Mario), there have been 24 videogames with Mario in the title in this generation (since 2007). Yeah there’s not been many 3D platformers, but by jesus Nintendo have milked the fuck out of the brand.

Got it in one. The people who bought Wiis in such numbers A) don’t give a fuck a new one is coming out, and B) have migrated to phone/fb games. The audience Nintendo is really trying to court (casual/family/whatever) doesn’t exist in the space they’re looking for it.