SWTOR is free-to-play up to level 15 starting in July

Monday, 4th June 2012 21:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka took the stage at EA’s E3 press conference to announce Star Wars: The Old Republic will be going free-to-play up to level 15 next month.

After you reach level 15 you will have to pay in order to continue playing. As far as content goes, Muzyka said the team has only “just begun,” with additional content such as more PvP and nightmare difficulty. “There’s never been a better time to join us,” he said.

A trailer showing upcoming content such as a Space Station Assault, a new operation called Terror from Beyond, and more was shown as a conclusion to his announcement, and it’s posted below.

1. YoungZer0

Hahaha, i fucking knew it! :D

2. Talkar

You make it sound like the nightmare difficulty is a new thing x) All he said was there is more nightmare content being added :P
    Also, the trailer is up on SWTOR’s site ;)

3. GrimRita

Wait! Did another triple A MMO launch to make this happen? No. Why oh why dont they just make this F2P fully. Hardly anyone touched the free trials and the same will be said of this. People wont pay for something that is shit.

And they have ‘only just begun’ on additional content – all I can say is LOL.

4. DSB

So do you still have to pay 60 bucks to play, or is the client complimentary?

I think that’s totally unviable for subbed MMOs these days. They should be handing out clients to anyone who will pay for the subscription.

There’s no way they can compete with the F2P offerings if they don’t. Making your subscribers jump through a paywall is a thing of the past.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@2 It will all be edited when we get the time

6. GrimRita

Blizzard had such a little return on their free trials on WoW. Something like 12% actually went through and purchased the game.

@4 – Once you’ve signed up, you will be able to download the client from SWTOR.com website, but knowing EA, you will have to enter a credit/debit card and that will count as an ‘active’ sub I guess lol

And that trailer is trademark Bioware – ‘Coming Soon’ – nothing has dates apart from ‘this year’…zzzzzzz

7. Phoenixblight

I was wondering when they were going to go with the endless trial like Warhammer or WoW since they were doing those free weekends. This is a great idea.

8. DSB

@6 Yeah, but once you reach level 15 are you gonna have to shell out 60 bucks + sub just to carry on?

To me that just seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

A 15 dollar sub running for one month may not make any money for the publisher, but I don’t see how that paywall is doing them any favors.

Or anyone else for that matter. Rift has been on sale for 15 dollars or less quite a few times.

It seems like they’re standing on short term profits, while sacrificing the long term ones, which is really what subbed MMOs are all about, no?

9. Phoenixblight

Yeah just like Warhammer and Wow which as Grim has said for WOW they get a return of 10% with that model.

10. GrimRita

I think Bioware are just trying to get people in to please those fucking investors. If you even are thinking about taking a peek, have a read on the official forums to see just how bad things are right now – especially for new players.

If PvE is your thing, then SWTOR probably ticks alot of boxes – the voice acting is probably the best you will find, the cut scenes are excellent(but become boring anything outside of class story) but even after lvl 40, your class story just takes a dive – Bounty Hunter probably being one of the worst.

If you like PvP, then look elsewhere. There isnt any open world pvp – its broken, each class has up to 3-4 stuns – Agents have a ‘stun lock’ which means, go put the kettle on as you watch yourself die from start to finish and theres nothing you can do about it – hence why so many are re re-rolling Agents atm.

Bioware havent given much away about server transfers yet but if you are on a low populated server(undetermined by them thus far) you can transfer for free) – but to transfer from anything else, you will have to pay – full details havent been announced.

Endgame is where this falls flat. There is simply nothing to do. Apart from repeating the same limited Operations over and over and over.

Save yourself for Guild Wars 2 – theres lots of competitions out there giving away free beta keys. Check their facebook page

11. Kalain

Yes, reading official forums is always a good guide in determining how good/bad a game is. Go and look at any other MMO and you’ll see exactly the same thing. I thought you knew that Grim.

PvE is really good in the game if you like story based games. I would’ve preferred a more open nature to the game, but that’s not the direction they went in and I can respect that. I agree after level 40, the story does just bomb for all classes, which is a shame since they started so well.

PvP is not the greatest, I’ll agree with you there. Too many stuns and crowd controls for my liking.

As for the endgame, which MMO doesn’t have you redoing the same end-game raids over and over again? They all do, so this point is moot.

I was hoping that they would go down the Turbine route, F2P & paid subs, but they haven’t hit there yet. Maybe in another year they will. I can only hope.

As for GW2. I’m really not seeing anything special about this game. The quests are thinly veil go here, kill this; go there collect that style quests; you just don’t know you’re doing it as you increase your quest progress bar. COmbat seemed a bit clunky to me and the classes are so far away from being balanced it’s a bit scary. But, it is in Beta and I’ll see what the next weekend has in store. But, so far, I’m feeling like GW2 should’ve been a Freemium game from the start and not worth the £50 I paid.

12. GrimRita

@11 – When I said look at their forums – its because almost everyone has been crying out for server mergers for a while. They simply should of held off with Legacy(according to Bioware, this is the reason why server transfers are complex! LOL) unless their arrogance took over again, thinking that more would say after 1.2.

I dont do raids, because it simply bores me to tears, did a few when SWTOR first launched and stayed away because they are woefully dull. I think the reason why SWTOR wont/hasnt gone fully F2P is again down to Bioware/EA arrogance thinking they wouldnt need to.

They clearly dont have any kind of in game ability to do MTs but when I saw some demos a few years back, they had vendors selling stuff for ‘Force Points’ which LucasArts told me could/would be MTs. So either they removed it, or they didnt develop it further as I never saw it again in future demos.

With GW2 I am reserving full judgement until its gone gold. I pretty much enjoyed some stuff and didnt like other things. The quests are like other MMOs and I didnt feel like I was grinding – maybe because it was my first beta in GW2 and after say lvl 30+ you will probably think ‘fuck this’.

The biggest selling point for GW2 will be the pvp. They still have a lot of work to do but they appear to have the time to do it. Its just a shame Bioware missed the open goal with SWTOR and pvp, as it could and should have been amazing but instead turned into the gear grind that put me off high end pvp in Rift(which I have heard they changed).

With any luck, the lay offs at Bioware will help a smaller team actually focus on improving the game but unless you’re a die hard fan, the majority wont stick around paying £9 a month waiting.