Quick quotes – “I don’t think I’m doing art, I’m doing what I believe in,” says Cage

Friday, 25th May 2012 18:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“Do I consider myself doing art? Honestly, certainly not. I don’t think I’m doing art. I’m just doing it by passion, and I’m doing what I believe in. If something of what we create today, people still talk about it 50 years from now, then we’ll say, ‘Okay, it was art.’ But that’s really not something I have in mind every morning. Honestly, I don’t care. I spend a year writing this stuff. It’s one year of my life doing this from morning to night, non-stop, for a year. And I put [in] a lot of myself. I’m not talking about me — I’m talking about what I feel, what I think. In that sense, yeah, I think I’m an auteur, in a way.” – Dave Cage to Gamasutra.

1. endgame

I like this guy!

2. ManuOtaku

I do hope for his next game, he does believes in more traditional gameplay inputs, like in indigo prophecy.

3. MFBB

I hope he dosnt!

One of the only studios in the industry who does something different (from the big AAA games).

Besides indie developers we only see the same stuff from the big studios over and over again, hardly trying out now things cause its to dangerous if they fail.

Or did you mean like opening the door with pressing x instead of a qucktime event or controller movement (like aiming with a gun instead of quicktime shooting)?

But i dont really care about all that as long as his games are something different/new/special.

4. speedxl01

I like Heavy Rain, I havenĀ“t played indigo prophecy yet..

5. ManuOtaku

#3, yes less quicktime events, and more traditional gameplay inputs like in indigo prophecy, dont get me wrong i did like heavy rain,especially the story, but i think indigo prophecy is the better game, even omikron on the dreamcast in my eyes was better than heavy rain, but i know is a personal preference and not everybody will agree.

6. lexph3re

Everybody Manu(not trolling you just lending a hand)I think games like Heavy rain are great I love having the options like #3 stated. It’s never to much to ask for games like Heavy Rain always a plus.

7. ManuOtaku

#6 i do agree, but it doesnt hurt to have a game that features a good balance between, traditional and experimental inputs, especially in this type of games, thats why i do think indigo is the better game, but like i said i did like heavy rain and iam also thankfull for that, now that they did heavy rain the way they did, more experimental, i hope the next one will go for that healthy balance like in indigo.

8. mehdidante

u should believe that only 1 million people saw your “art” .

9. TD_Monstrous69

I’ve got nothing but the highest admiration and respect for David Cage. I eagerly await for what’s next coming from Quantic Dream (fingers crossed that it’s at E3, if not, GamesCom at the latest).

10. ultramega

I absolutely loved Heavy Rain.