Wasteland 2 Kickstarter ends with $3 million raised

Tuesday, 17th April 2012 13:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Wasteland 2′s Kickstarter efforts has come to an end, pooling in just over $3 million within a month.

The Kickstarter itself raised $2,933,147, with PayPal donations totalling $107,137. The grand total comes to $3,039,923.

The amount raised means extra funds to make the game great, the ability to bring the game to Mac and Linux owners, to bring on Obsidian’s Chris Avellone and more.

In an interview, InXile boss Brian Fargo told VG247 that he doesn’t foresee this Kickstarter era, which has seen it fund WL2 and Double Fine’s Adventure Game, coming to an end anytime soon, but admitted most won’t raise more than $1 million.

“I don’t see an end in sight for companies raising money with Kickstarter, but most will not be in the million dollar range,” he said.

“Shadowrun passed their goal of $400K and Leisure Suit Larry is well towards its minimum amount of $500K. Even the smaller projects with new developers will be tomorrow’s one million dollar projects. Trust me, there will be some new group that comes along one day and blows me and Tim [Schafer] out of the water with their success.

“And I do believe that if we get enough companies to pledge putting a small percentage of their profits back into the community, it will keep the ecosystem alive. Kickstarter is such a wonderful way to get financed that it just makes sense to give back.”

1. StolenGlory

The final total is actually over the $3m mark Johnny, since the additional $107,137 raised through Paypal tips it over the mark to $3,039,923.

2. Johnny Cullen

Yeah, forgot about the PayPal stuff. It’ll be mentioned in the fleshed story.

3. Judicas

Will have to buy some beers because of this, it’s a celebration bitches! Can’t wait to play!

4. freedoms_stain

I hope they can do us (the backers) justice.

Really these high profile projects have to deliver or Kickstarter will die as a funding platform for games.

5. DSB

I think it’s going to take a lot more than a single failure to kill the Kickstarter model.

I might be glass half full on this, but I think people would be smart enough to know that they aren’t buying an actual game – They’re buying the hopes and the promise of one.

One bad president doesn’t kill a democracy. Unless you’re like 1930′s Germany.

I think the biggest risk is Kickstarter getting old. There has to be a limit to how many and what kind of games people will back. Right now it’s super hyped, and we’re all better off for it.

But yeah, I certainly hope that these guys can do something worthwhile. I like the concept art.

6. endgame

@Johnny “InXile boss Brian Fargo told VG247 that he doesn’t foreseeing this Kickstarter era” What? Come on! You guys could check your posts once before.. posting them.

7. TheWulf

I’m still oh so hopeful for this.

@4 – It can’t, really. I mean, keep in mind that there have already been projects which have been successful and quite good, and with anything like this, it’s very much caveat emptor. Really, caveat emptor is the philosophy here.

8. TheWulf

They post a hell of a lot per day, a lot more than other, similar sites out there. That’s why I read VG247. So it’s fair to think that they have to rush a bit to get the news posts out and the odd typo or two slips through the net.

9. The_Red

Even if this game turns out bad, it will still be better than all the current military shooters, crappy social games and pointless freemium games combined. Also, it’s the freaking WASTELAND.

10. No_PUDding

I made sure not to pledge, so they actually have an audience to sell it to….

That’s the only thing I fail to see with kickstarter. It sustains these devs for the game’s production cycle, but I have no idea how it can function as a business.

The exact market you are creating this game for has just spent 3 million dollars bringing it from concept to production, will there be anyone left when it actually comes to fruition?

Or perhaps a less extreme way to word this would be to say, aren’t they minimising their market by selling a product upfront?

Maybe a publisher will notice 3 million in donations, associated with the IP, and pay better attention next time? Is that the aim?

Kyle

11. DSB

@10 I don’t think you’re seeing the big picture.

61,290 people have contributed to the Kickstarter. That may seem like a lot, but most indie games have to sell a lot more than that to break even. For a lot of indie developers, this has to cover not just living expenses (some may even have kids, eek! And girlfriends, gasp!) but also the production of your next title or DLC.

It’s also only been running for a month. A month. If your game stops selling after a month, you’re fucked, and this isn’t even a game they’re selling, it’s a promise of a game.

As such, it’s also only likely to be known by gamers who actually read gaming news. I have no way of gauging how many exactly, but I don’t think it’s a majority of the people who look at the storefronts of Steam, Impulse or Origin every day. A lot of gamers don’t obsess about keeping up.

You can use a Minecraft comparison. Notch didn’t undermine himself over by crowdfunding the game, and giving a lot of early buyers a lifetime copy of Minecraft. Thanks to those guys he can sell his game for what? 20 euro today. So he gave up 5 euro on the early buyers, when the game wasn’t finished, and wasn’t very hyped, to make 20 on the later ones, when the game was finished, and was very hyped. Even if you disregard the success, that’s a brilliant model.

So you really haven’t done them a favor by not backing it, if you think that somehow helps the project going forward. That money was going to be theirs anyway, and they don’t actually have to sink every single dollar into it, they’re way over funded at this point.

12. No_PUDding

Disregarding the last point “and they don’t actually have to sink every single dollar into it” I agree with you.

But I do think that 40,000 potential customers (as they are below the $30 mark) have been taken out of their profit straight away.

And you reference Minecraft, but it’s not certain that Wasteland 2 will be a multi-million seller, nor some sort of indie zeitgeist like Minecraft was. Another difference is there WAS a game to buy with Minecraft, regardless of how simple.

Despite that though, your point that this funding has happened in 30 days, is perhaps the most important aspect. Raising awareness of many titles will take a minimum of 6 times that time, before the product goes on sale.

So I see your point, but it will still require they’re successful.

Kyle

13. freedoms_stain

@10 (and 11 to an extent), Even if they fail to make serious money from the final release of Wasteland 2, as long as they satisfy the backers of Wasteland 2 they can continue to keep the company afloat off the back of successive Kickstarter campaigns – provided they remain interesting.

@11, I do believe they intend to use all if not a majority of the funds raised in the production of the game, hence the announcements of features they could add at different funding milestones.

14. DSB

@12 It certainly remains to be seen whether this can be profitable for studios of this size, which I guess raises another question – How many people do they have working on it?

I’m pretty sure Double Fine are using a small team for their adventure, while still keeping everybody else occupied with their other games.

You don’t have to be Minecraft though, that’s totally unrealistic for so many reasons, but even looking at Minecraft as “just another indie”, it was extremely profitable long before it even reached beta.

That was really my point. It’s the same principle as any business of any size, it’s all ROI. Return on investment. What are you putting in, what are you getting out, and how does it add up?

And then you have all sorts of other benefits as well. In funding Minecraft the way he did, Notch also managed to attract a group of people who are now part of the company. This does open the door for a lot of input and community relations that can really only benefit the game, and the developer.

I’m not sure the hit from crowdfunding is that bad. All those backers are getting is a copy of the game and maybe some swag. They won’t be taking any royalties, and the profits are going to go straight back into the studio. That’s roughly 80% on every copy. There’s no way you’ll ever get a deal like that from a major publisher, or from venture capital.

@13 True dat. With Obsidian pitching in they’ll probably spend a lot of money on those guys too.