Sony spends £1.5m on Vita ads for Easter

Monday, 2nd April 2012 13:24 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Sony is putting forward a significant £1.5m in advertising for the PlayStation Vita over the Easter period, it has been revealed.

The campaign will be the second major push for the handheld following its February launch and is set to target folks out and about during the Easter holidays, a crucial period when kids are off school, MCV reports.

“The Easter campaign will consist of high impact outdoor media, along with an extension to our existing digital, cinema and press activity,” UK Marketing lead Alan Duncan told the site.

The spend includes outdoor adverts in some 3600 locations, travelling demonstrations in shopping centres, airports and stores as well as a higher density of print ads during the period.

Shortly after launch Sony announced they’d sold over 1.2m Vita units since launch.

1. LOLshock94

lul vita fail

2. Razor

““We have an always-on approach to Vita marketing, continually evolving and updating our campaigns to match the new and compelling entertainment experiences delivered by this uniquely powerful device,” Duncan added.”

Sounds like they don’t know what they’re doing.

3. Blerk

I’ve still only ever seen one of these “in the wild”. And that’s the demo unit in our local GAME. Which has been broken and switched off since the day after release.

4. back_up

vita is true next sony doing right thing
    Vita is gonna outsell 3ds soon
    3ds has drug addict mario and screen which has blind many gamers

5. Cozzy

Should be getting my Vita next week, I’ve spent a little too long playing the one on display in my nearest Game.

6. Talkar

I’m very happy with my Vita, and i can’t wait for Mortal Kombat to be released for it!

7. Goffee

Jeez, just put 150,000 £10-off-a-Vita vouchers in games magazines. That way Sony addresses its core audience and even if 90% bin the vouchers, Sony gets 15,000 extra sales (which is big given the Vita’s numbers) and can keep the rest of the cash.

Future or Imagine would lap up the deal and the chance to splash it across their covers.

8. silkvg247

“a crucial period when kids are off school”

You mean parents spend this on kids these days? Christ.. way to teach them the value of money.

9. Talkar

This is the least example.
    I’ve seen kids driving around in cars there is no way they can afford.

10. Dyno

Do people really buy kids stuff like this for Easter? Back in my day it was just easter eggs and chocolate!

11. Lord Gremlin

Duh, Vita needs new games, not adds. And kids are not it’s demographic. Average Vita owner is a 30-something bearded man.

Delivering… Experiences… Come on! Bloody thing has no games! Wanna some bloody shooter? No such thing. JRPG? Nope… Hurry it up, Sony!

12. Len

I moved at the wkend and now can’t find my Vita anywhere, I’m totally gutted and worried the blokes I hired may have pilfered it. Please let it be in a box somewhere… :(