Sony confirms Zipper Interactive closure

Saturday, 31st March 2012 02:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has confirmed the closure of SOCOM developer Zipper Interactive after rumors of lay-offs surfaced last week.

The firm issued the following response to GameInformer:

“Sony Computer Entertainment can confirm the closure of Zipper Interactive, a Seattle-based internal game development studio that has been part of the global development operation of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. The closure is a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS.

“Zipper has completed all work associated with its most recent project, Unit 13 for PlayStation Vita. Zipper titles MAG, SOCOM 4 and Unit 13 will continue to be supported, including the new Daily Challenges in Unit 13.”

The closure will affect approximately 80 employees.

Thanks, Erthazus.

1. Erthazus

I remember them when they were a studio with ambition. Especially when they announced MAG in 2008.
    They were great developers during PS2 era.

but since then they failed on every major project.

I think Sony did a right thing because Zipper failed to bring quality game this generation.

Who is going to develop future SOCOM titles then?
    Imagine if Naughty Dog :D Romantic Tactical Third person shooter XD

2. Razor

Wouldn’t be surprised if a few more Sony studios bit the dust.

It seems if you’re not ND, PD, SSM or GG, you could be in trouble.

3. Erthazus

I would close Guerrilla Games to be honest. They never did something better than Killzone 2 which was just an ok game. + Co-founder and development director, Arjan Brussee left the studio.

Edge and Eurogamer when Reviewed GG Killzone games always say that they can’t find a soul in their games so they tried their best with graphics as their trump card.

the problem is that their games don’t even look much better than current gen multiplatform FPS Games and they absolutely look not better than ND, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica and etc. Games and GG is a first party studio that have access to the best Playstation dev kits.

Not to mention that their iP’s are not strong enough. Sony spent a ton of money on marketing and developing Killzone 2 and in the end it was not worth it.

4. Dragon246

Performers stay, non-performers go out. That is the way everywhere, gaming industry is no exception to that rule.
    Also I think sony did not had the resources to maintain 2 FPS developers. Now I want them to add some good writers in the Guerrila Studio so that their games can get better in story department.

5. TD_Monstrous69

I hope this results in Quantic Dream eventually being brought into the fold at Sony Worldwide. Though I do hope the folks who last worked at Zipper have no trouble finding new work (hopefully some get hired up at SCE). Honestly, I thought that Socom 4 could’ve been a good success for them if it hadn’t been for the PSN going down the same day it released. Also @ Erthazus, I don’t agree with you in the least about closing Guerilla Games. Because they’re a great studio, and KillZone’s still a good IP (even if 3 was a little bit of a backstep, though it did have an excellent musical score, level design, and very well written antagonists, if only Sev and Rico were written as strong). I’d at least see on what’s brewing with the new IP Guerilla had announced they were working on back in 2010 before I’d say shut them down.

6. Johnny Cullen

Oh man. I had the first two SOCOM games and enjoyed them. And MAG had some great ideas, but the execution was maybe just a tad off (still liked it for what it was, mind).

Still a shame, though. Lets hope the staff find their way soon.

7. KAP

This took me by surprise to be honest. wow.
    No matter what you wanna say about Zipper games this gen, they still made Sony loads of money.
    SOCOM (the move one) did alright on metacritic too. Totally messed up. I wish them luck for the future.

SCE are still leading in the first party group regardless so lets hope no one else bits the dust this year.

United Front Games I have a bad feeling for though.

8. Kaufer

United Front Games are making Sleeping Dogs for Square Enix and LBP Karting for Sony. I think they’ll be ok.

9. back_up

PC gamers killed developers even if they make good games
    SOCOM was medicore

10. PEYJ

I like Socom 4 but the mediocre metacritic score should partially be seen in the light of the competetion and the PSN break down. Problems they didn’t face back in the PS2-days. Thus the low sales figures.

As for MAG, well it was a very ambitious and the setup for making people work together in a large teams more so than normally, was probably more than what could be expected of gamers to fulfill. Thus the relatively small sales figures.

Regarding Unit 13, I have heard a lot of positive things about. It seems to be well suited for small bursts of on-the-go-gaming, something that not every reviewer have understood or appreciate.

I think they are a great team and it is always sad when people lose the jobs.

11. ZarraN

It’s so sad when talented people loose there jobs. I personally feel like the this is a bad move by Sony. It was only few years ago (in 2006 after Socom 3) when Sony acquired Zipper and now they are shutting down the studio. Who knows how Zipper would have evolved over the 5 coming years with Sony’s support.

Instead of closing down the studio Sony could have shifted there focus from just making shooters to start working on smaller projects for a few years. Basically just keep producing small and unique games with a small risk and see if the hit succeed to hit a mass audience. After a couple of years they could split up the studio in multiple smaller independent studious or make a try to make a AAA once again.