Kickstarter: Schafer closes on $3.3m, Wasteland 2 raises over $500k in one day

Wednesday, 14th March 2012 07:30 GMT By Dave Oshry

Brian Fargo’s Wasteland 2 Kickstarter has received more that $500,000 in its first day online, while Tim Schafer’s point-and-click fundraising effort has closed on $3.3 million.

It’s only been a day since they kickstarted Wasteland 2, but Brian Fargo and his team at InXile already have over half a million reasons to be happy this year.

At the time of this writing, the game has already reached $523,729 of its $900,000 goal.

With reported backers like Notch donating $10,000 and nearly 9,000 other backers already donating between $15-$10,000 each, it’s a safe bet that Wasteland 2 will not only meet its kickstarter goal, but exceed it.

Fargo had this to say earlier today:

“WOW!!! You guys are amazing!  The fans are really stepping up here with donations and spreading the word. I haven’t been more excited to make a game in over a decade. It is a dream to focus all my attention on making a wonderful experience without distraction from outside forces. We will not let you down!”

To get in on the action, head on over to the Wasteland Kickstarter Page.

Fan success

Fargo’s news wasn’t the only eyebrow-raising headline from Kickstarter today.

Tim Schafer’s Double Fine fundraiser ended in a raucous livestream last night, with the developer celebrating the most successful Kickstarter project to date.

The month-long fundraiser drew $3,334,890 in what essentially amounts to pre-orders for Double Fine’s new adventure title along with some sweet bonuses.

Over 47,000 people gave the base amount of $15, which is the minimum required contribution to net a copy of the game.

Over $24,000 gave $30; more than 11,000 gave over $100 to net a place in the game’s credits; and 148 backers gave $500 or more. 87,138 backers funded the game in total.

Double Fine Adventure backers will have access to a Two Play productions-made documentary throwing open the entire development process, access to exclusive developer forums, and even the opportunity to shape the game.

During the celebratory livestream, Double Fine boss Tim Schafer promised the game will be “ten times as good as Grim Fandango”, one of his most celebrated releases.

1. The_Red

Awesome, awesome news for both Schafer’s team and Fargo’s team. I’m specially excited about Wasteland 2 since it’s something I never thought I’d see again from big devs: Turn-based, top-down RPG. Can’t wait.

2. ManuOtaku

Good news indeed, congrats and both teams, and us the gamers, now i just hope both of this games will eventually arrive on consoles too at some point in time

3. TheWulf

This could be very interesting.

So, funny thing…

I sent Fargo a PM over KickStarter with three very hard questions. I admit, they were probably the strangest questions he’s been asked, but if I do anything it’s think (and too much of that).

Funny thing with that was that the guy who was screening them said that in over 500 messages, what I’d sent was by far and wide the most interesting, and that Fargo would be more than happy to answer them. So just waiting to see what happens with that.

I’m mildly hoping that they answer them publically, since it’s areas where I feel gaming has stagnated a little. I’d love to get developers and writers thinking on some of those questions.

If I get a non-public reply back from him, I may just share it anyway.

That’s if I feel brave enough to at the time.

4. Sini

lemme guess, you ask about homosexuality in bioware games and how that will affect their product?

5. DSB

@1 Try The Hunted first.

6. The_Red

@5 I haven’t played it but I’ve heard about it and its quality. It did end up pretty bad but so what? One mistake doesn’t make me lose hope in a team, specially if some of them have worked on my all time fave games like Fallout 1-2. Plus, this is a freaking TURN-BASED, old-school RPG.

Even if it turns out to be shit (Hopefully not), that type of game would be more fun and worthier than hundreds of GOTY nominated shooters in my book.

7. DSB

@6 Most of the notable people from Black Isle Studios are now working at Obsidian.

I just don’t understand the naivety. I definitely share your excitement about the past and turnbased games, but I don’t see anything amazing about a businessman remaking a game he hasn’t touched since 1988.

If the military called in someones 76 year old grandfather to fight in Afghanistan, based on how well he did in Vietnam, I’d have the same reaction.

“… Really?”

8. Phoenixblight

THats what I said in the other post minus the Black isle comment and not only that the dude is a producer which as I stated in the other thread has no control over the design aspects. He is a paper pusher that handles human resources and money. If it was the original designer I would say maybe but not the paper pusher.