id responds to Doom 4 drama

Friday, 2nd March 2012 04:59 GMT By Jessica Citizen

This week, the internet has been abuzz on the topic of Doom 4. First, we heard that it was cancelled, then that it was not, and then there’s the little matter of those alleged screenshots.

Now, id Software has taken a moment out of its busy schedule, taking to Twitter to officially respond to the rumours.

According to id design director Matthew Hooper: “Those images have nothing to do with what you’re gonna see in Doom 4.”

“When we officially show things, you’ll see awesome,” he says. “When we officially show things, fans will be happy.”

1. Phoenixblight

Just like the fans were happy with Rage right?

2. Judicas

@1 stop trolling, rage was awesome (although a tad too easy on nightmare), but was plagued for alot of users with technical issues. If doom4 is equal or better then rage, without the technical drama, I’ll be very happy!

3. Phoenixblight

THats subjective and as someone who was looking forward to playing Rage and then being vastly disappointed. I have the right to speak my mind. THat game was horrible, it was the only game I have ever returned the week of release. As my friends call it, Rage: A programmer’s love story.

4. Dragon246

The games title perfectly mirrored players sentiments who played it.

5. The_Red

“Those images have nothing to do with what YOU’RE GONNA SEE in Doom 4.”

In other words, they ARE from an earlier build of Doom 4 that was cancelled. I hope after the disappointment that was Rage, they’ve changed their direction and gone back to the drawing board.

6. Edo

Yep,Rage pretty much sucked:static world,awful ending and it was plagued by various bugs and glitches that even to this day haven’t been resolved.

7. Talkar

So basically like Skyrim?

8. Edo

@7 Skyrim ending is not the best ever but it certainly wasn’t awful.When you can interact with almost everything in the game’s world than that world is everything but static and bugs and glitches in Skyrim are mostly resolved with patches that Bethesda has released so far…so no..not like Skyrim.

9. Talkar

I’ll agree with you that Skyrim isn’t static. But the ending is really one of the worst i’ve seen in ages, and the main story is what? 3-4 hours long at most?
    The graphics in the game looks like something that is 5 years old, granted the “HD” texture pack that was released as free DLC does improve on it, but not by much.
    The game is still full of bugs, i still have a quest i can’t complete because of a bug that has been there since release date, and still hasn’t been fixed.
    Lastly the voice acting is almost as bad as it was in Oblivion. I mean seriously, you can hear on some NPC’s that there are more than 1 voice actor voicing one NPC, which is really, really bad.
    The only thing Skyrim has going for it is the open world, and modding.
    Mind you, i do enjoy playing Skyrim, but i just wanted to point out that it is in a lot of ways a lot worse than RAGE.

10. DSB

That’s not much of a response to those rumors. It doesn’t actually say whether those are screenshots or not. “Officially show”.

@9 Didn’t you know it was gonna be like that though? :P

I didn’t expect id Software to start sucking like they did with RAGE. But I did fully expect Bethesda to release a game that was far too big to work properly on launch.

11. Edo

@9 Fair enough,to each his own as they say.

12. xxJPRACERxx

Rage is one of my favourite fps in recent years, the gunplay is really satisfying. id made Doom and Quake, did you expect Rage to be like Skyrim gameplay-wise? id make old-school fps, gunplay come 1st.

Rage game world is awesome. My wallpaper is cycling between the 50+ screenshots I have take from the game and they all look stunning.

Only problem I had with the game was with my AMD card. Even after all the driver updates the game was still running like shit. I switched to nVidia… problem’s gone. You can’t blame id on this one, it’s not their fault AMD OGL driver suck.

13. Christopher Jack

Played RAGE for the first time today, love it! By the way, wouldn’t run until I updated my AMD graphics drivers for my 5670. Took me just over 5 mins of instant crashes, reboot of Steam & some alterations before I was just about to turn off my computer but then clicked & realized my drivers were probably outta date.

14. Maximum Payne

@12 I also have ati 5770 and Rage worked like a charm ? Only thing i did it some AI stuff needed to disable in catalyst.

15. OrbitMonkey

I remember first seeing the screenshots if RAGE & thinking “Oh I hope the next Fallout looks as sweet!”. After playing RAGE I hope they use a different engine :|

Oh & if you replace RAGE with Skyrim, that statement is true also :’(

Still looking forward to DOOM4. Though hope the rumours if it being on Earth are false. Mars, the Moon or some orbital space station should be cool.

Or maybe some big, artificial ring world… Nah, far too generic ;-)

16. TD_Monstrous69

Speaking as someone who grew up playing DOOM from when he was a young kid, I’m glad to hear DOOM 4 isn’t canceled. Also, I hope whenver it is id decides to show off things for Doom 4, it is as they say, I hope I see awesome. Though I thought RAGE was a great game (if not one that kinda pissed me off for its design choices, and how it ended), and id Tech 5 looks like an engine capable of great feats. I hope that DOOM 4 built on id Tech 5 is a great game, and I look forward to hearing more about DOOM 4 in due time.