Second major patch for SWTOR to contain docking tweaks, ship customization put on hold

Saturday, 25th February 2012 19:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

BioWare has posted answers to its latest, weekly SWTOR developer Q&A, and according to the firm, the second major patch will include animation adjustments, tweaks to planet docking, the ability to roll on equipment for companions and that plans for new ship models and customization have been pushed to the side for a future update.

“The nature of our ships as central story areas for all of our class content, and all of the associated triggers and cinematics that must therefore be done on the ships, means that giving players new ship models, particularly interiors, is very, very hard for us,” said lead systems designer Damion Schubert. “We will probably look at addressing this instead by providing a greater sense of ship customization at some point well in the future. But it’s someplace we definitely want to go.”

Schubert also touched up on the performance issues players are experiencing with open-world PvP and Warzones, by stating it has “an internal strike team that is fully devoted to ensuring that the game runs better and faster, especially on low end machines.”

“We consider this team’s work to be a crucial internal initiative,” he said, “You should see evidence of this work as soon as Patch 1.1.5, when we will be introducing a new ‘very low’ setting to shader quality, which should drastically increase the number of mid-to-low machines the game can run well on, especially in Warzones and Operations.

You can read the full Q&A through here.

1. endgame

People still throwing money at Bioware for this? Heh, and they say we are in recession..

2. Phoenixblight

Even in a recession, people always spend money in entertainment.

3. Talkar

Are people only allowed to play what you judge as good? If i want to play CoD, or hello kitty online, i’ll do it.
    I’ve spent well over a thousand hours in SWTOR, i’ve got several characters at lvl 50, i’m enjoying this game as much as i did a month ago. So yes, people are still throwing money at this glorious game.

4. GrimRita

I think its wise for Bioware not to add – because they just create more issues when THEY think its wants needed(UI light show anyone?!).

But I wish they would stop blaming peoples ‘low end’ PCs for their shit programmers because as we saw last week (and to my surprise) Rift uses the same engine and doesnt suffer with lag like this game does on ALL systems.

Ilum is a lag fest and I am running 2x6870s over clocked, over clocked i7 and a superb corsair 1000w power unit and I struggled and its been the only game to do this.

Most of the lagging on Ilum occurs when the engine tries to display the text of valour/kills etc and change of zoning, so there is some code in there the engine doesnt like.

But at least this ‘Q&A’ wasnt littered with the standard ‘yes in the future’ crap. People know that because other MMOs already had it at launch. Funny how this is a shell

5. TheWulf

You can’t expect everyone to have the same tolerance for tedium. He’s not telling you what you should play, but clearly the two of you have different levels of tolerance for tedium.

It’s far, far too WoW-like for me as well, too much kill X, or deliver Y to Z, and other forms of overly typical MMO content. All of which you tend to do solo whilst never interacting with other people. So the end result is a really, really bad and grindy version of KoTOR.

This is why I’m looking forward to Guild Wars 2. At least that game will have people doing things together, which is half the point of MMOs in my opinion. I feel that some more recent MMOs, like WoW and TOR, have been teaching people to enjoy doing tedious work-like things whilst playing solo. And it’s resulted in a lot of gamers who’re asocial at best, and antisocial at worst.

I wouldn’t consider a game that words like these can be leveraged at in an honest way to be ‘glorious,’ personally speaking.

6. weedrk

I’m playing it as a single player experience and I appreciate BW for giving me the ability to do so. I don’t have 2-4 hours a day to devote to raids and other content that require you to ask permission from everyone else to take a bathroom break. I can only speak for myself, but having a wife that has to travel a lot and two small children by myself for long periods, you may understand why I would not group with others unless they are friends who understand and compensate for my need to constantly take care of my house and children. This doesn’t mean i’m “asocial or antisocial”, it just means I’m playing a game I’m paying for and enjoying in my own way. There may be many more folks out there like me so you may be being ignored by a bunch of single or almost single parents who like Star Wars enough to play an MMO as a SP experience. Don’t take it too badly, it’s a game that each person has to pay for and play the way they want to.

Edit- also, I’ve never played WOW, so I can’t comment on the tedium level between the two games but I’m having an absolute blast w/ SWTOR.