“Xbox 360 has never seen a game” like Witcher II, says CDP

Friday, 10th February 2012 20:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CD Projekt has released the first developer diary for The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition, stating that the RPG contains the “most complex story ever told on Xbox 360.”

Also in the video, the team talks about what it set out to accomplish when developing The Witcher 2, especially regarding the choice and consequence system.

Quest designer Łukasz Szczepankowski, who calls himself an avid gamer, said he prefers console games and was “quite disappointed” the systems didn’t offer a game which would give him “a sense of freedom” and choices from the minuscule to those “influencing play as whole” and affecting the world and NPCs.”

“This is a first for console game,” he said.

“The Xbox 360 has never seen a a game that would match The Witcher 2 in terms of nonlinearity and complexity of its story,” added story writer Jan Bartkowicz.

The Witcher 2 lands on 360 in April.

1. LOLshock94

mass effect says hi

2. TerraZet

@1 No.

3. Vahramas

Mass Effect and Sykrim saying hi. But nonetheless: Looking forward to this game on Xbox. Hope they’ll port it to PS3 too.

4. TerraZet

@3 again, no.

5. papizdano

@3 love both games but yeee no.

6. sasanjfr

@1,2,3,4,5
    Mass Effect 1:”yes” , Mass Effect 2:”no”

7. DSB

@6 Touché brother.

8. Phoenixblight

I wonder if they will have some sort of reference for the 360 players because I would say half of the game is all based on cameos and references to the original. I know even with me playing the original I had to wiki who was the cameo and who was the sender of the letters.

9. Erthazus

Skyrim and Mss Effect together combined does not even come close to Witcher II.

10. reask

At the end of the day it is a hell of a coup for 360.
    Having said that reading reviews it seems to be a tough game to get your head around.

11. DSB

@10 It’s really not that bad. It’s just a rare type of game that doesn’t treat you like an idiot, and dares to challenge you.

Whether it’s hard to wrap your head around depends on whether you can comprehend a serious plot (it’s only slightly more complex than Game of Thrones) and how mad you get when you lose in your first attempt at something.

Personally I really want to think that gamers aren’t idiots, and that they’re still ready for a challenge. For me it was like a breath of fresh air.

Beyond that I don’t really see any barriers.

12. reask

Absolutely dsb I agree with your points and reviewers for the most part have said that.
    I just got the impression that this game if stuck with is a gem but it involves a lot of learning for the first third of it.
    Not a bad thing and again I reiterate a coup for 360.

I personally look forward to playing it as I have heard only good things about it.

13. DSB

@12 Hehe, no doubt about that.

In terms of reviews, it could be down to the fact that CD Projekt didn’t include a tutorial with the release build. It’s only been added recently I think.

So, since the game is fairly unforgiving, the first fight was very much a case of “WHY THE FUCK AM I DYING ALL THE TIME?!”

It’s pretty funny in retrospect. Personally I didn’t even know that I had all the signs (spells/crowd control) to choose from, or how to select them.

Fair to say it became slightly easier once I realized that :D

14. YoungZer0

@6: Mass Effects Story is good, but complex it is not.

15. TheWulf

Yeah, the strength in Mass Effect 2 is in its story. I don’t know what the desire to micromanage is all about, though. I think that’s best left to strategy and sandbox games. I mean, I don’t need to be an accountant in the games I play.

Who sits down to a game and thinks “YES! LET’S JUGGLE SOME NUMBERS!!!”?

What I want from an RPG is a good, well written story, some decent lore, and a few good choices. The Witcher (and 2) can be a touch weak, sometimes, when it comes to plot holes, but overall they’re pretty damned good. They can also be a bit too much on the puerile side for their own good – in a way that makes Bulletstorm look all growed up.

So The Witcher isn’t the greatest boon that RPG players have ever received. I’ll leave that to titles like Fallout 2, New Vegas, Bloodlines, Mask of the Betrayer, and so on. All games which offered a nice combination of talented, creative writing, a passionate desire to see the world they wanted (lowest common denominator be damned), and a good selection of choices which aren’t illusory (Mass Effect has quite a few of these) and don’t feel artificially forced upon the player (Skyrim has waaaay too many of those).

It’s good, then. Not great, but good. It’s also massively jerkish about accessibility in the same way that Dragon Age was. I’ve optic nerve issues and the game expects you to read tonnes of lore to be fully up to date on the story, and it expects you to read tiny tooltips in order to be able to micromanage. Neither of these are fun to me, and they reek of bad game design. You can have complex mechanics without giving people with accessibility needs a proverbial kick to the nuts.

Shadow Era (indie card game) is more complicated than any aspect of The Witcher, but it doesn’t require quite the same amount of number juggling nor reading tiny tooltips. And I think that these things do provide barriers to entry, yes. Like I said, not everyone is equipped for it, and not everyone has the inclination.

“Cor, I am so excited to sit down, squint at almost illegible tooltips, and try to memorise and manage a whole bunch of stats that the game could really do for me. What is this, Wizardry?”

This is where The Witcher 2 failed.

It had a good story, I commend the story. It could have been better, and at times it was just plain awkward (“My way or the HIGHWAY!”), but that was likely a poor translation as much as it was anything else. However, despite my misgivings, I still liked The Witcher 2, I just felt that it could have been a better game if it didn’t try quite so incredibly hard. In trying so hard, it went for mass crowd appeal – to all those PC gamers who think that RPGs are about having a fetish-level fixation with numbers – and that hurt it.

But, as with everything, an RPG is going to be a different thing to different people. I’ve covered what I want out of mine, and I hope it’s something I see more of in the future. Though every time I see someone dodge writing a story (like the “WE DON’T NEED STORIES, HO HO HO!” attitude of Amalur) it’s really irritating, because there are plenty of genres you can subscribe to if you don’t give a damn about the quality or quantity of writing (story/narrative) in your game.

The Witcher 2 tried, it was a good game. Not one of my favourites, and it could definitely have improved by being less batshit about micromanagement and microscopic text that you have to be some kind of bionic eagle to read, but still… it was good. I could recommend it. Lots of room for improvement, though. Lots of room. Hope to see some improvement with The Witcher 3.

16. DSB

@14 I’ll take a good story over a complex one any day. If I can get both, even better. The original Mass Effect wasn’t exactly an original epic, but I thought it was put together extremely well.

For the most part the story overshadowed the weaknesses of that game for me. Which was more than a few things along the way.

The second one was off the shelf tripe. I don’t mind pulp fiction, but it has to come with a serious effort to make it your own, which was what the first one got right.

17. m2stech

Look who’s here! Sasan the ex-p30worlder!

18. Epic Fool

19. Da Man

What’s that, another role playing game article with page long essays by the same individuals criticizing customers for not being passionate enough nerds. Well, that’s a first.

More customers should read comment sections on vg247, because people who play lots of videogames know more about the ins and outs of development process and what it takes to be a passionate nerd, I mean developer.

#18 In a word – yes.

20. Maximum Payne

@18 That was Witcher 1
    In Witcher 2 combat is more like Dark Souls.

21. absolutezero

“Wasn’t this game about clicking stuff? And if it attacks you, click it some more until it stops?”

Welcome to everygame ever made.

22. Sadismek

@21 Let’s be serious, in some games you have to press certain buttons to create a cutscene in which you don’t do anything, and if you fail it, game ends or you lose health. QTE, anyone? :D

23. IL DUCE

“CAN’T WAIT!”

24. DSB

The original Witcher barely had a combat system. In Witcher 2 it’s completely different.

Can’t say I enjoyed the first game. The combat was indeed about clicking enemies in time with a sword that lit up, and most of the game played like an empty MMO.

Everything from production values to mechanics and actual content has been redone from scratch for this one.

This ain’t your mommas Witcher.

25. M. K.

Mass Effect > Witcher. Still looking forward to this, after I pwnd the earth with evil Shepard of course :D

26. Mace

@ M.K.
    Duh. Show the evidence of your claim. Mass Effect is an action blockbuster, Witcher is edgy, original and witty. It’s better even on the most basic level: the levels are less linear. Quests are not closed-off sections but can have wider repercussions. The world feels more alive, more detailed, the characters are better written, even quest characters don’t feel like the empty puppets of Mass Effect quest characters. The story doesn’t follow the same old ruts of any “fantasy/science fiction epic” before it. As you say yourself, in Mass Effect you “pwn” the big “evil”. In the Witcher there are villains, but they are authentic characters who pose an authetic threat, and you cannot get rid of their influences completely, as they are an ever present part of the world. Side characters are more intelligent and often have a point, in Mass Effect everyone but Shepard is presented as an idiot who can’t do anything right themselves. Consequences can be felt all the time and aren’t mainly restricted to the ending credits or which of the boring party members you dispose of.