Xbox 720: E3 “premature,” “nothing new in 2012″

Monday, 30th January 2012 16:14 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Microsoft France’s Cedrick Delmas has said the company will have “nothing new” in terms of hardware in 2012, saying E3 this year will be “premature” for talking about any successor to Xbox 360.

The news came from Cedrick Delmas, marketing director of Microsoft France, during an interview with Lepoint.Fr.

In a response to a question inquiring about the rumor suggesting the announcement of the next Xbox at E3 this year, Cedrick said:

“We’re in an industry that talks a lot, that likes to tell stories. I am not convinced things will happen this year. Xbox 360′s cycle is not at all finished. The proof is that we don’t see the logic in cutting the price this year. E3 is still premature. What’s certain is that there’ll be nothing new in 2012.”

Delmas said that Microsoft won’t be making any hasty moves in a bid of counter Nintendo as they prepare to launch Wii U.

“We’re not here to counter Nintendo and they’re not here to fight the other manufacturers. Nintendo has put itself in a different cycle, they’re advancing at their own pace.”

Rumors have been pointing towards a E3 2012 reveal for Microsoft’s next Xbox console.

Sony said today that it’ll “probably” be the last to announce its plans for the next generation.

Nintendo’s next console – Wii U – is preparing for a re-reveal at E3 2012, with a planned launch before Christmas this year.

Despite determined rumours about the onset of next generation machines from Microsoft and Sony, mounting evidence suggests we will see nothing of either console in 2012.

1. DSB

2014.

2. Patrick Garratt

Looks it. I reckon they could do it next year, but yeah, I think you’re right.

3. Razor

Execs in France are pretty chatty today, aren’t they :)

4. Fin

It isn’t terribly clear what he’s referring to, which is why I hate quotes like this.

“E3 is still premature. What’s certain is that there’ll be nothing new in 2012.”

This could mean:
    A) No product releases in 2012
    B) No product announcements in 2012
    C) No product announcements at E3 2012

5. Patrick Garratt

You won’t see anything this year. No announcement, no launches. It’s far too early.

6. DSB

Reveal in 2013, and launch in 2014.

I think it’s gonna come down to whether they want to hit xmas 2013. I don’t think they do. It’s almost certainly going to be +400 dollars at launch, so it probably won’t be an xmas tree item. It would be way more appealing to get it out immediately after the US tax season.

I’m guessing launch Q2 2014.

7. uomoartificiale

I see a E3 2013 reveal with a late 2013/ early 2014 launch, followed by a TGS 2013 teaser for sony and a late 2014 ps4 launch.

I mean, I think that’s pretty much what everyone expects from both the companies. It remains to see how much upstart microsoft will leave to nintendo.

8. Maximum Payne

New consoles are ready after Fallout 4 released so new Elder Scroll will be on new gen just like Oblivion was.
    So pretty much what DSB said :)

9. Lahanas

No matter what you (want to) believe, this is happening sooner than you think. The rumors are so many at this point, that it’s obvious MS is moving on with the next xbox, as they are afraid nintendo is gonna do what they did this gen. The dev kits are real and the box is coming in 2013, not 14. And they will probably announce it in 2013 also, just like they did with the 360 in 2005.

10. Maximum Payne

@9 Well xbox 360 was rushed so that is one reason the announce it and released in same year.But who knows…

11. ManuOtaku

I will only ask for killer instinct as a launch tittle the rest is irrelevant to me, i mean if it is in 2013 or 2014 as long as it comes with this game as part of the launch line up.

12. fearmonkey

I find it hard to believe that they will let Nintendo own the 2012 E3 without announcing anything regarding the next xbox. If the rumored specs are true, that its using a 6670 based GPU and there is only a 20 percent difference in performance, why would you let your competitor have an entire year of no competition and then release a comparable hardware box a year later?
    What I am reading here says no new hardware in 2012, it doesn’t really say no to a product tease at least, just no released hardware this year.

13. Fin

I’m still going with the tease/tech demo E3 this year, full showing E3 2013, launch Q4 2013.

14. Christopher Jack

Reveal early-mid 2013, release holiday 2013.

15. drewbles82

agree with Fin. Been saying the same myself for ages now. Too many rumours/things going on like the chip in production, blu-ray, kinect 2 etc.

16. HeavyD-Love

I agree with the following:

2013 reveal, 2014 release.

This would be on par with them milking the 360 for the next 3 Halo games.

Halo 4 – 2012
    Halo 5 – 2013
    Halo 6 – 2014 (either on 360 or 720)

Personally, I think Halo 4 should be a 720 system launch title.

17. LOLshock94

^^worst halo prediction ive ever seen

18. minxamo

This probably means that the 6670 rumour is bullshit too.

19. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t believe the hype.

20. DSB

@9 I think you’re missing every nuance there is.

Nintendo didn’t conquer their marketshare as much as they created it. Motion controls changed everything. That’s the headline for this generation to me.

Nintendo were able to make a console that anyone can afford, with a control scheme that lets anyone between 3 and 103 years old play their games. It was genius, but it was arguably also a rare succes, with lots to discourage the core gaming market (lackluster online, HDD etc.). The Wii U isn’t likely to change that.

Microsoft doubled their marketshare, Sony dropped to a third of theirs, and the PC is making more money per release than either of the two.

That’s the reality, and that’s what’s gonna shape the next generation. Nintendo’s element of surprise is spent, and the Wii U looks like an iteration more than an innovation, so they’re the ones that are challenged with holding onto their base, no matter how early they launch.

I think Microsoft and Sony, besides competing with eachother, are going to scramble to keep up with Steam, the PC market and it’s services more than anything. Unless they really up their game in terms of online, service and performance, then they’re going to be left behind.

I don’t think the war for the PC has even started yet. Origin was just the first shot.

21. Razor

“Don’t believe the hype.”

If a 6670 is part of Nextbox, there’s not much to get hyped about! ;)

The further out next gen consoles, the better, really. Gives more time for tech to mature and become cheaper… that is assuming MS and Sony build a hefty system.

22. fearmonkey

@18 – I certainly hope so….. If no tease or reveal this year, then releasing a slightly more powerful box than the next Nintendo system would be a mistake. I hope the rumored specs were baloney, but I fear it rings true.
    (It would have a been a good ruse by MS though)

23. HeavyD-Love

@17…exactly. Hence my keyword “milking” the franchise.

I would hope for at least every 2 years, if not longer, for a franchise as big as Halo. But again, this is Microsoft we’re talking about.

24. Da Man

Seeing as how it will be two and a half years since Reach release when Halo4 launches next holidays, I think there’s more probability of Sony milking Uncharted or God of war. After all this is Sony we’re talking about, they love milking hardware for a decade (see two GoWs on PS2). See, I can do that too.

4 should be a 360 game because Reach multiplayer was half arsed. They dropped the ball with that one, I’m glad that game doesn’t have a 4 in it’s name.

The new Xbox will be revealed this year and come out in 2013.

25. GameExchangeShoop

I think both sony and microsoft are gonna see if Nintendo crashes and burns with the Wii U and learn from any mistakes that arise.

26. Maxey

@25 except that won’t happen.

Both Sony and MS need to make sure their base hardware is reliable and future proof enough before wasting more of their time on gimmicks like Kinect or PS Move.

MS specially, seeing how much money they lost on repairing and replacing faulty boxes by the truckload.

Also, plenty of ram is absolutely necessary. 2GB at the very least.

27. HeavyD-Love

Microsoft better be carefull……….what I’m starting to see over and over in all these articles is:

“Microsoft: Nothing new in 2012″