CDP: No Witcher 3 announce made last night – details

Friday, 27th January 2012 15:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Contrary to reports made on the internet this afternoon, CD Projekt did not announce The Witcher 3 at a press briefing last night, the company has told VG247.

Website Gampur went live with the initial report from the event, which focused on the 360 version of The Witcher II, that suggested a 2013 launch for the threeequel on PS3, 360 and PC.

Beefjack and TSA have gone live with similar reports. the latter linking to a report which claims to carry a quote from CDP that says “it would be stupid not to” do a PS3 version of The Witcher II.

But VP of Business Development Michal Nowakowski has told VG247, in unequivocal terms, there was no announcement last night.

“Now that is a surprise – I was at that conference as a matter of fact and I can assure you nothing of the sort was announced,” he told us in an email this afternoon.

He continued: “You can actually watch that conference yourself at our Facebook site and I assure you we did not say a single word on Witcher 3, its release dates, and platforms. I can 100% confirm, we have not announced Witcher 3.

“The purpose of the conference was to unveil the details of X360 launch of Witcher 2 with the release date of 17th of April 2012, launch on the same day of PC Enhanced Edition, and reveal of some new features for both versions we did not speak about before. That is it.”

The Witcher II for Xbox 360 launches in the US and Europe on April 17 from Warner and Namco Bandai respectively.

1. Karooo

I’m surprised people took that rag site Gamepur seriously.

2. DSB

I hope they take their time with it. The last bit of The Witcher 2 felt pretty rushed, but I cannot wait to get back into the game. Bring on The Witcher 3.

@1 Yeah, feels a bit like a non-story.

3. Ashwin

Awesome journalism. Any plausibly sounding news bite is spouted by a site no one has ever heard of and numerous sites jump on it as fact.

And then when it’s discounted just play the “Well, we’re not the ones that started this” card.

Here’s a thought: maybe contact the publisher in question and seek confirmation first? That’s what journalists are supposed to do, you know.

But, no, the state of games journalism these days means it’s a case of “Publish first, ask questions later.”

4. DSB

This :P

5. Mace

@ #2
    I wouldn’t call the last bit rushed. Of course it’s open for speculation, as it seems to me, the game was simply finished, and they didn’t have anything more to offer. To make more, they would have needed more content and subplots on the whole, not just in that area. There were simply not that many possibilities for more quests left (there were overall not that many or that great quests, I think (nothing to compare with the atmospheric detective quest of the Witcher 1 for example)). It was a pretty good ending, though, the parts that weren’t empty ruins. Good dragon, good dialogue…

6. DSB

I can’t say I agree. Most of the quests in first game were mindnumbing fetch or “kill 10 rats” quests.

Whether the game was finished or not probably depends on how you look at it. To me the story was only just unraveling by the time the game ended, it felt more like a prelude to a greater story than a real ending to me.

(Minor Spoilers)

The main antagonists were just pawns for a greater power, and so neutralizing them doesn’t really mark the end of anything in my opinion.

I haven’t played after the latest patches, but when I played it there were areas around the ruins that had obviously been meant for quests, but which had none in the current state.

Then you have the dragon part towards the end, which poses you with a choice in the last few minutes of the game. There’s really no reason for a choice like that if the game is about to end.

To me that indicates that things have been cut. The same thing goes for the ruins themselves. There’s a lot of instancing within the ruins, and as I saw it, there hadn’t been a lot of thought put into the design compared to other zones.

It just seemed like something that was quick and easy to do. An occupied ruin doesn’t take as much care as a living village or an army camp.

7. absolutezero

My god DSB that site is amazing.

“Playing Resident Evil: Revelations With a Circle Pad Pro Results in a True Portable Resident Evil”

Thats from 1Up. Jesus.

8. freedoms_stain

@6, what ruins? The Salamandra base at the end where you find out who is pulling Salamandra’s strings?

I only finished The Witcher within the last month, and honestly I enjoyed it aside from all the running – coulda done with a horse, particularly in Chapter 4. Also I got sick to my back teeth of fighting Drowners, too many areas had Drowners as the base enemy.

I was reasonably satisfied with the story and the ending, although I wonder how much the choices one makes impact that. If you treat Alvin differently does that change things? I sided with the non-humans, if I had sided with the Order or gone neutral does that affect the outcome?

9. DSB

@8 I was referring to the second game. The first one felt halfassed in a lot of ways to me.

The first one certainly had a beginning and an end.

Have you dug into the second one yet?

10. freedoms_stain

@9, nah, I have to complete 2 games before I allow myself to buy 1 so that the backlog starts to shrink :p

I have Star Wars KOTOR and Deus Ex HR on the go right now, I think as soon as I complete one of those I’ll have to get The Witcher 2. The 1st one really got me into The Witcher universe. I started watching the (not great) polish tv series (loosely) based on the books. I think I’ll give the 1st of the English translations a shot once I’m done what I’m reading too, they’re supposedly quite well translated (unlike some Japanese translations I’ve read).

11. DSB

@10 Yeah, I don’t usually go for fantasy stuff, but the Witcher world is really fresh.

I picked up the books for the same reason. “Last Wish” was alright, but it’s a collection of shorter stories, often based on fairytales. “Blood of the Elves” was downright boring in my opinion. I actually think CD Projekt RED did a far better job with their take on the story.

The English in the translations isn’t very good though, so I’m guessing a lot is lost that way. I felt like rewriting it myself, just reading through it :P

12. freedoms_stain

@11, as I understand it the Author (whose weird Polish name escapes me) killed off Geralt in the last book and CD Projekt essentially “yoink’d” the IP at that point and brought him back to life (hence the memory loss) which allowed them their own poetic license to do what they wanted with Geralt while at the same time inheriting an established world, history and plenty of supporting characters and relationships to flesh things out withot having to write it all themselves. Memory loss is also a convinient way to have a legendary warrior start out feebley weak for an RPG game and ease in players new to The Witcher universe without it feeling too jarring ;-)

13. DSB

@12 You’re probably right, there are only two books translated out of what, six? But there are a lot of parallels in the two books to things that happen in the first and second game, with minor details changed.

Obviously, amnesia is a classic. I think they did a great job with it though. You can definitely look forward to The Witcher 2. It’s one of the most intelligent games I can remember playing.

I mostly fought my way through the first one to get the background. Can’t say I loved anything beyond the story. The second one blew my mind though.

It’s Andrzej Sapkowski by the way :P