Rumour – Substantial Lightning DLC coming to Final Fantasy XIII-2

Wednesday, 25th January 2012 04:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Purported early leaks of this week’s Famitsu suggest a treat in store for fans of Final Fantasy XIII and its upcoming sequel.

The report comes courtesy of Andriasang – but not from one of its usual, trusted sources – and claims a new piece of Final Fantasy XIII-2 DLC will allow players to recruit Lightning as a party member after defeating her in a coliseum match.

Last year, Square Enix said outright that Lightning would turn up in coliseum matches, but as well as the ability to call Lightning into battle, the DLC will apparently include “secret story episodes” for her.

The leak also mentions other downloadable coliseum matches, with classic Final Fantasy bosses.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is out now in Japan, and arrives on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on January 31 in the US and February 3 in Europe. Square Enix has said it hopes to correct the much-criticised linearity of Final Fantasy XIII, but the first game’s protagonist, Lightning, plays a less central role, to the disappointment of fans.

1. silkvg247

I might just cancel my preorder. I don’t like any of the characters that are left as playable. My fave was fang, I liked the relationship she had with Vanille. It was a touching and refreshing portrayal that same sex couples aren’t all about high heels and smut like some character designers would have you believe.

I also abhor DLC at the best of times, and feel it has no place in an RPG especially such a story and character driven series. You can’t make parts “buyable”, it’s stupid and unfair. Or at least include all DLC with limited edition boxes (£50 afterall) then I’d consider keeping my order down.

2. Ge0force

The best thing about FF13 was that it had no DLC, all content was included on the the retail disc.

No seriously, if it makes you happy that an unreleased game gets payed DLC, please raise your hand…

3. Ireland Michael

@1 What are you on about? Fang and Vanille weren’t a gay couple. They were only close friends.

Square just liked the idea of dropping hints to give yuri-inclined pubescent guys something to wank over. That sort of thing is done in Japanese media all the time.

4. silkvg247

@3 It’s subjective. You take from it what you will, to me it was clear as day, given the emotional bond throughout, and the ending. But I won’t say you are wrong anymore than I would say I am wrong; you are entitled to your own interpretation of the script.

One thing you might want to consider though, is that Fang was originally scripted as a male partner for Vanille and it was changed. If you imagine the same cutscenes and dialog (“I’d tear the sky down if it’d save her” being my personal fave) coming from a male Fang, I doubt you’d be singing quite the same tune about their relationship being purely platonic.

Now obviously SE aren’t going to ram lesbianism down our throats, but nor did they want to completely overhaul the relationship between the two characters. They probably removed a kiss scene or two, and left it as a subtle interaction so as to not offend people who think it’s bad, or not natural, or would in any way give them bad press.

5. Ireland Michael

@3 It’s not even remotely subjective. Its derivative fan-service, the like of which is done in countless anime and mangas in its country of origin.

I’m well aware that Fang was originally intended as a male character. It doesn’t change the fact that there is no actual relationship going on. She may have originally been designed that way, but only in the very early concept stages.

And even if there was, there is little admirable about it. Vanille is a whiny, self indulgent jailbait who exists purely for the sake of titillating men who don’t know how to get off on the sight of grown women yet, and Fang’s “I’m a hardass” personality is derivative and uninspired. She has little to no depth as a character besides being “the one who argues with everyone.”

What people interpret as signs of them being some sort of couple are childish scenes of forced emotions and expression…. much like every other scene in the whole game, let’s be honest. That or juvenile titillation. Looking up Vanille’s skirts, hugging super, super close. Almost all these scenes have sexual undertones to them. Only a child would interpret these kind od things as signs of a genuine relationship.

There’s nothing to stop them from showing the two holding hands for support during tense emotional moments, or a quick, non-sexual kiss if they have to part company. *Nothing* in the say they talk outside of these juvenile cutscenes even remotely hints at them being anything more than dear, life long friends.

Characters are either gay or they’re not. I can’t stand these companies who skirt around the issues. If you don’t even have the balls to allow your characters to be honest about it in the story, its cowardice and self-defeating to the whole point. All it really says is “Its okay to be gay, as long as you hide the fact from everyone.” That is not a positive message.

And yes, if that was said by a male character, I could still believe it to be platonic. It is entirely possible for two people of different genders to love each and want to die for each other without there being even the slightest desire for a relationship with that person – in fact, its a scientifically proven fact hat this happens to people exposed to each other for prolonged lenghts of time, especially during childhood.

6. silkvg247

I don’t know why you are agressively trying to force your opinion on me; my thoughts remain unchanged.

Did you read the translated epilogue which also mentions that they share a bed? People such as yourself (who are so outraged at the idea of lesbiansm they deny it is there), have skirted around that facet by saying that the people of Pulse just lived like that. Yeah, sure. And I suppose the fact that there is no history of any male interst ever for either of them, and the fact they have always just been there each other, is just friendship.

Also, I didn’t feel that any of the emotion conveyed was forced. It felt like they really do love each other. Moreso than Snow and Serah.

The thing you describe re: super close hugging isn’t meant to be sexual, it’s supposed to be emotional. And emotions are what drives a real relationship and keeps it strong. I don’t think it’s childish at all, I think it’s sweet. It reminds me of my own relationship. Realising that there is more to a relationship than sex is precisely the opposite of the childishness you described.

7. deathgaze

You guys are so cute together. :P

8. Ireland Michael

@6 “And I suppose the fact that there is no history of any male interst ever for either of them, and the fact they have always just been there each other, is just friendship.”

Believe it or not, not everyone lives their lives looking for a partner. That’s a teenage thing. Most adults know better. Fang moreso than Vanille comes across *exactly* as the kind of person who certainly doesn’t need a significant other to justify their existence. It doesn’t help that Vanille comes across as someone who would break into a screaming fit just from trying to cross the road.

You can not use a lack of evidence as evidence. Either it exists within the context of the story, or it does not.

“The thing you describe re: super close hugging isn’t meant to be sexual, it’s supposed to be emotional.”

Yeah, it’s totally not suggestive at all. This is sweet, I’ll admit, but it’s still only suggestive of friendship. They don’t act like partners.

“I don’t think it’s childish at all, I think it’s sweet. It reminds me of my own relationship. Realising that there is more to a relationship than sex is precisely the opposite of the childishness you described.”

I appreciate the fact that you might be able to see something personal in the characters, but the problem, again, is that they never actually express the fact that the two are a couple. It’s an insult to gay people straight off the bat for hiding it from the story, if it were indeed their intention for the character to be a couple. It’s cowardly.

It also doesn’t help that the characters as individuals are terrible. Vanille especially. Vanille is a poster child for everything that’s wrong with the representation of women in video games.

“Also, I didn’t feel that any of the emotion conveyed was forced.”

Everything in the game was forced. The game’s storyline was little more than 60 hours of non-sequitur, padding dialogue. I know all the kids love the who endless love thing, but when the reasons for characters loving each other isn’t even explained in the story, its bad storytelling.

Why exactly does Snow love Serah, for instance? We’re never provided with a reason why he would go to the ends of the earth for her. We’re just supposed to “accept” that he does. The same argument applies to Vanille and Fang.

You can argue the point you want, but when you’re don’t even express the character’s motives, personalities and relationships with other characters, it’s simply bad story-telling. And I definitely have no respect for a story that can’t openly admit its own characters sexuality.

9. OrbitMonkey

I believe more thought has gone into this discussion of character and plot, than the actually writers of FFXIII managed to muster ;-)

10. Ireland Michael

@9 Which is exactly my point. It’s incredibly easy to read into stuff in the story, when it simply isn’t there.

This is how I think the conversation went in the planning office.

Developer 1: “So guys, what appeals to our focus tested audience of angst ridden teenage boys and lonely teenage girls?”
    Developer 2: “I know! Lets gives these characters some sexual undertones! Being gay is all the rage amongst the kids today! The girls will have characters to connect with, and the guys will have something to fap over!”
    Developer 1: “That’s a great idea! Now, how should we go about developing these characters as a real couple?”
    Developer 2: “Uummm…”

11. silkvg247

After all is said and done I also would have preferred they just came out and made them openly gay. Sadly it’s still too taboo, I don’t think any serious plot in any game has ever conveyed such a relationship – at least not in a “it’s actually just a normal relationship albeit same sex” manner. I’m making my own game, so I guess it’s my chance to change that. ;)

I hated Xena for the same reasons.

I never said I was a fan of FFxiii by the way, just that for whatever reason I thought those two were sweet. I have their action figures cuddling on my desk. Yes I am THAT sad.

12. Ireland Michael

“Sadly it’s still too taboo”

It really isn’t. The popularity is Glee is proof enough of that.

“I hated Xena for the same reasons.”

See, Xena is just another example of titillation for titillations sake. There was never any attempt to create any sort of social message about the validity of same-sex relationships or simply to express two people as same-sex partners. It’s just two hot woman put in lots of situations together.

“I’m making my own game, so I guess it’s my chance to change that.”

If it comes out, consider me customer #1!