Xbox 360 entertainment app use up 50%

Wednesday, 18th January 2012 01:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft’s plan is working.

Major Nelson has revealed that since the introduction of the Xbox 360′s Metro dashboard in November, use of its entertainment features has increased. Worldwide, “nearly 50 percent” more people used the console’s entertainment applications in December 2011 than in November 2011.

The use of video in general has also gone up, with 140% more video streamed in 2011 than 2010.

The new dashboard, which uses the Metro aesthetic Microsoft intends to push out to all its product lines, was introduced in early December with the tagline “the future of TV”.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. DLTDawnlight

You better be taking notes Sony. Sorry, but your s**tty web browser doesn’t do a justice. I rather have dedicated apps than watch my PS3 freeze for 5 minutes.

2. freedoms_stain

The figure on it’s own is insignificant.

When people start using percentages without reference numbers they’re trying to make something sound more impressive than it actually is ;)

A 50% increase on 2 is 3. Impressed?

The selection of numbers they’ve farted out is confusing and disjointed – referencing US and International numbers. The whole piece on Nelson’s blog looks designed to hide the significance of the actual numbers.

3. shogoz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSk5DhxQHLo screw.you.microsoft. we all know you changed the dash to put in more ads otherwise the gaming tab wouldnt be six rows across

“Yeah, I love ads being plastered all over my console, that is why I play on consoles and that is why i pay 50 dollars a year to play online for the ads! Radical Dude!!!! I need more ads, give me more ads everywhere. YouTube take not, now THAT is an innovative and unique way to deliver ads. Wow, I can not believe I will be able to consume ads in such a unique way. I’m so glad I am paying the 50 dollars a year to receive an ad powered online service. Statistically we would like more ads!!!!”

4. Virginityrocks

@1 you web browse on a console?

5. frostquake

I HATE THE NEW UPDATE! Going to watch a 45 Second MSNBC news Clip..BUT NO!!! First I have to watch the Same DAMN Mickey Mouse or GT 55 Second Commercial…and OH NO..it is not just once…For every 2-3 News Clips I watch I get a Commercial! This is worse then regular TV News! At least I get about 10-15 Minutes in before a Commercial comes on, and they are different, not the same damn 3 over and over again like on 360

And it is SUPER UBER SLOW….so NO Sony..Don’t take notes..it is HORRIBLE!

6. roni1175

MS is doing a great job making its console accessible and feature rich as a media and social hub.
    As a PS3 owner I really wish Sony would redesign its UI.

Nonetheless, I would never switch consoles :)

7. Da Man

If it’s ‘slow’ for you then either your internet is terrible or there’s something with your sense of space and time.

It’s a good thing people realize what ‘anecdotal evidence’ means.

8. Lahanas

What’s really sad is that now the XBLA games are literaly buried. Nowhere to be found on the main tabs. It’s like they discontinued the service and they dont give a fuck. Oh Microsoft…

9. Ge0force

Those 140% more streaming must be from all those ads that came with the Metro dashboard.