The Darkness II 360 demo – 15 minutes of crazy action

Tuesday, 17th January 2012 14:20 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Haven’t played today’s “>360 Darkness II demo? Want a taste of things to come? It’s your lucky day: Pat’s captured 15 minutes of the taster in action, showing off the restaurant level that’s been shown to press this past year. To say it’s fucking mental is a bit of an understatement. Give it a watch below the break.

The Digital Extremes shooter launches in Europe and the UK on February 7 for PS3 and 360.

1. Edo

Good,good getting the PC demo next week.

2. Patrick Garratt

This is all good.

3. DSB

It has a pretty nice Bioshock’ey feel right at the beginning, but it looks like the weapons aren’t very responsive.

Looks better than expected, but I think I’m gonna wait and see.

4. Phoenixblight

“This content is specifically designed for demo purposes and will not appear in the final game in this order”

Not a fan of this method of Demos could mean they have dressed it up and it won’t portray the real game, of course that could mean the game is actually better than the demo. I am with DSB and will wait to see.

5. TheBlackHole

Looks great! The voice of the irritating monkey-like demon is going to grate though.

6. Patrick Garratt

I’ll play through it completely in a bit. The combat’s great, though. A lot of fun.

7. OrbitMonkey

@DSB, I think the guns look unresponsive because of the fact it’s Pat using them ;-)

Not liking the enemy’s just standing there waiting for death… I’d run like fuck if some tentacled, well armed mobster came running at me!

8. 3rikko

The Darkness 2 looks very good, Much better than the first one.
    Love that it has an Upgrade system in it. Awesome game

9. Patrick Garratt

@7 – Oi!

10. LOLshock94

game looks really good, not sure about the art style thou :/

11. freedoms_stain

Looks like they got rid of the heart consumption thing, probably good for keeping the action flowing, you don’t have to run around checking to see you ripped all the hearts out the corpses.

12. gdogg979

@11 nope , it’s still in there .you just have to unlock it first .

Really enjoyed this .. The combat just felt fresh, like using the car door as a shield.

Only thing is the sensitivity of the aiming could do with being put up a tad ..Oh just checked u can up the sensitivity . Nice!

13. Phoenixblight

It was right there in the loading screen saying that you can consume hearts to regain some health. THats a key aspect of the darkness. If it doesn’t have it, I am not playing. :P

14. Night Hunter

I want Kirk Acevedo back. This new guy just sounds generic. Liked the demo though, combat feels much better than in the first one and quad wielding really works although I don’t know why you can’t hold a car door and slash at the same time. Got it pre-ordered for ybout a year now, can’t wait till it comes out.

15. YoungZer0

Wait, is that Brian Bloom? Man, i love his voice … though i’ll always see him as Kane, dunno if it will work for Jackie. Really liked the way Kirk Acevedo delivered the voice of Jackie. It had it all.

I gotta say i’m impressed. Not by the game but by the fact that my opinion never really changed about the game. I see more and more and it still looks solid, but i think Darkness 1 had a fantastic atmosphere this game doesn’t reach. The art-direction is definitely one of the reasons.

I still don’t like that they choose to use this Comic-Style. Imo it doesn’t look like a comic book.

Also think that they should’ve similar loading screens. You know, the loading screens, with Jackie in the Dark, talking about the things going on. It added information about the relationships to other characters and also added depth to Jackie.

16. SplatteredHouse

I read “Darkness”, but that gets processed as “Darksiders”! :( Then I get disappointed when the realisation hits, so I then don’t download this demo, or read the article. I find this recurrence irritating.

17. Night Hunter

@16: The Darkness was here before Darksiders so as a TD fan I find this recurrence irritating ;)

18. Phoenixblight

TO be fair the original game was less then stellar especially when it got to the Treanch war part then it became wierd and the game play became broken.

I enjoyed the original right until that part, I wish they would have made that game more fluid and less broken(?).

I still enjoyed The Darkness more than Darksiders because Darksiders had nothing really unique about the game where Darkness had a lot of new concepts and a new idea.

19. Night Hunter

@18: I don’t really understand what you mean with broken. Wasn’t it kinda business as usual? With the one difference that you had to rip your enemies’ hearts out to defeat them?

I personally think the Trenches were not as good as the rest of the game but they were a big part of the story nevertheless and I really liked the extremely daunting design and at least for me that beats gameplay problems 99% of the time.

20. Phoenixblight

Sorry I mean that the trench war while curcial to the overall story arc felt completely disconnected from the rest of the game. I wish they would have focused more on the character’s emotions that he was dealing with along side with finding out more about The Darkness.

The overall game was fun it just that part that I felt disappointed.

21. Night Hunter

In what way exactly? Because of the sudden shift to a completely new location? Inevitable if you ask me. And at least for me WWI just kinda feels right given Jackies emotional state and his desperation. The only thing I could say just feels a little off is the change from linear levels to a more open environment but if you look at it more closely the parts where you really run around on an open battlefield is kinda minor compared to the trenches/sewers/fortress.

22. Phoenixblight

The amount of back and forth to the center hub that’s what really bothered me. It just felt like a complete grind when most of the game was action centric.

23. Night Hunter

@22: Well okay, I can understand that. The hub in hell definitely was more redundant …

24. Phoenixblight

Damn now I want to play the original. I think I need to go to Amazon and do a search XD

25. Night Hunter

Well, lucky for me I already started yesterday ;)

26. triggerhappy

I just finished the original for the second time a couple of months ago and loved it even more, the gameplay is not that polished but the story and art direction more than make up for it. I had to tighten up the sensitivity for aiming but after that it was fine. After watching that video im definitely looking forward to feb 10th. Shame about Jackie’s voice but i think i’ll get over it.

27. kezwar

@8 The first one was a great game, if you could see past its flaws. Personally it. I haven’t felt a bigger connection to the characters of any game this gen more than Jackie and and Jenny. The story telling so brilliant, and I’d say the game featured two defining moments of this generation. A flawed masterpiece for me, and one that I don’t think D2 will live up to, however flashy and fun it may be.