Kitase: Final Fantasy X for PS3 and Vita a “remake,” still early in development

Sunday, 1st January 2012 10:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square Enix producer Yoshinori Kitase has said the PS3 and Vita re-releases of Final Fantasy X aren’t HD remasters of the original PS2 release, but rather a “remake”.

In an interview with German mag M! Games (via PSLS), Kitase said the project was in its early stages of development, despite it being announced at Tokyo Game Show last September by Square’s Shinji Hashimoto.

While it’s not clear what role he’ll have in its development, even though he was producer for the original, he will “ensure that the remake of the game will have the same quality as the original.”

Final Fantasy X celebrates its tenth anniversary this year, having released on PlayStation 2 in May 2002 in Europe. It launched more than a decade ago in Japan and America in July and December 2001 respectively.

We spoke to Kitase about his latest project, Final Fantasy XIII-2, last month. That launches at the end of January for PS3 and 360.

1. cRAZYcROgUY

Can’t wait for this one,my favourite FF game :-)))

2. KingCharMing

Likewise! It really was the best one of the series. I almost shed a tear at the end

3. ultramega

Oh wow! If this is true, and not just lost in translation, I’m way more excited than I was before! Don’t get me wrong, I love HD Remasters of great games, but PCSX2 essentially does that much for me already!

4. Clupula

I’m pleased to see I’m not the only person who thinks FFX was the best of the series. Everybody usually says VI.

5. Gekidami

I have the feeling the term “remake” is being used very loosely here. Lets face it, if Square were going to spend money on any real remake, it would be for the much demanded FFVII one.

So anyway, are the holidays over? …At 10pm…?

6. Lounds

There’s nothing wrong with FF:X
    Except the stupid levelling grid. The only reason I can think they used number 10 was because they probably spent a shit load on voice acting, so its one cost and time consuming thing out the way. FF:IX is the best imo.

7. Mystic Sage

This is 100% my most anticipated game and I just got even more excited when I saw this “Yoshinori Kitase has said the PS3 and Vita re-releases of Final Fantasy X aren’t HD remasters of the original PS2 release, but rather a “remake”.” This is EPIC not just an HD remaster but an overhaul to take full advantage of the PS3 and Vita. I cannot wait to play this again going to be like playing a brand new game.Blitzball here i come!!!

8. Deacon

Definitely great news, but I’ll be putting my money on a 2013 release (unless the ‘remake’ element is just new character models / facial animations).

SQenix need to keep a lid on their projects until they’re sure they can actually get them out within a timely fashion. Getting us fans all excited and then left waiting for a fucking eternity…

(VII & VIII were the best)

9. Mystic Sage

@#8 I agree they announce things several years in advance then hicups and things happen and it takes even longer and the hype for the game starts to die down and your start to think this game needs to come out already wtf.