Vita not sold out in Japan, some users report problems

Monday, 19th December 2011 18:53 GMT By Andrew Groen

Vague sales reports are coming in from the front lines of Vita’s Japanese launch, and while apparently things are going fairly well, they’re not going quite as well as Sony could have hoped. The Vita has not sold out according to Japanese retailers, but memory cards have.

All reports are unconfirmed as of now, but rumors on NeoGAF place the sell-through at around 85% for the wi-fi model and 56% for the 3G model. Retailers have said that it was possible to pick up a Vita without a pre-order.

The larger memory cards (16GB and 32GB) both sold out completely, and it’s being said that 90% of purchasers opted to buy a memory card as well.

Some early buyers are reporting problems as well, though that is certainly to be expected in the first batch of a console release. The most common complaints are of unresponsive touchscreens and system freezes.

Via Destructoid. Image credit: CTV.ca.

1. LOLshock94

its gunna die a slow and horrible death

2. WFMMK

@1 Keep telling yourself that.

3. KAP

So the west measures level of success due to a brand new console release selling out or not after 48hrs?!
    You know idiotic that sounds.

Sony is trying to keep the gaming handheld alive for “gamers” yet were hoping it fails a horrible death?!

What backwards thinking is that?!

4. Razor

@2 You keep telling yourself that…

@3 I don’t think anyone is hoping it dies a horrible death, just pointing out that it will. Hirai already said he wants Vita to exceed PSP sales – which currently stand at 70m.

With the capability of phones today, no even counting phones tomorrow, next year, 2 years away, it’s just so hard to see Vita succeeding in that way.

5. Moonwalker1982

Yeah, but honestly…what the Vita is showing in terms of graphics capability. No phone can do that yet.

6. JackTheLittle

if it didn’t sold out, this dont mean it faild. plus it had a lot of preorder so its not that strange.
    but you vg guys really failed in disappointing people. stop these nonsenses please

7. Erthazus

It’s only the begining. For now it does everything right as a Next generation Portable device except for memory cards ( people still bought them) and crappy Vita software.

Success for them will depend on the games. Games.

If you look at the software that is available to Japan there is not much for them except for maybe Hot Shot Golf game and Vita’s memory cards are already sold out. 16gb and 32 gb. This is crazy. the question is… what will they install if they don’t have a lot of stuff to play with.

If Sony will somehow sell over 400K in it’s first day than expect it to be the biggest launch in Japan for the handheld system. 3DS sold 400K in it’s first day in JP for example.

PS: the only problem i see with Vita after previews and reviews is that Sony again fucked up with it’s software.
    With that crappy software Vita have a lot of glitches, problems, freezes and touch screen issues. Sometimes even touch screen don’t want to respond.

I’m sorry. But there are a lot of guys who paid a lot of money for the iPhone. I don’t remember a lot of stories about it’s software issues which is VERY IMPORTANT for smartphone devices.

http://kotaku.com/5869239/ps-vita-freeze-and-touch-screen-issues/gallery/1 – here you go. Just look. Sony don’t know SHIT about software and they don’t know how to create a decent one.
    Vita software capabilities are worse than anything on the market.

If they will make a crappy software for PS4, i won’t buy it. We are at 2011, everyone makes decent software except for Sony.

But how can you make a software which prevents a multitouch screen from responding. Is this the start of touch screen generation for Sony? Lol.

8. Andrew Groen

#5 You’re totally right. But they’ll be able to do even more than that in 2-3 years. Meanwhile, the Vita will be stuck with the old console model, leaving it stagnant and underpowered. It’ll probably have a couple good years, but soon enough smartphones will catch up.

#3 I just don’t see how Vita is keeping things alive for “gamers.” Gaming is great on smartphones right now. If you don’t believe that then I suspect you’ve been paying too much attention to Angry Birds and too little attention to the thousands of other really high quality titles on the iPhone. Vita doesn’t need to exist for the hardcore audience to be catered to. The hardcore audience just needs to prove that they’re willing to pay for high-quality experiences on smartphones. Instead of throwing tons of money at Vita, it might be more prudent to go support as many great iOS games as possible. It may not be exactly what you want, but at least it’s a winning horse.

9. JackTheLittle

@7 oh! come on. wasn’t there a battery problem with the iphone just months ago?!

10. Erthazus

Also, just for fun. Once vita came out on the market there was a firmware update in it’s first day.
    Sometimes i feel like Sony’s software department is full of students from university or some crappy academy. Just wow.

@9, battery is not Software !

11. Razor

“No phone can do that yet.”

But what phones can do is…make phone calls. Vita cannot.

For most people, smartphones do more than enough to satisfy their gaming needs on the go. Sony make much noise about the graphics of Uncharted, etc, but why would I want to play Uncharted on a tiny screen when it would be much better playing it on your TV?

You only have to look at the insane growth and the amount of people who upgrade their phones on a regular basis to conclude that phones are where this battleground is; not dedicated handhelds.

Vita may sell 50-odd million and make some software houses some money; but I just can’t see this device ever passing PSP, nor making the big splash that Sony want it to.

12. JackTheLittle

@8 lol! if hardcore gamers want the vita why they need to prove otherwise?
    plus smatphones are nothing for a real gamer. stick to buttonless devise! lol!

13. SuperGuyverUSA

A phone is no way for a gamer to spend hours on. And it’s true that in the next two or so years there will be a new phone and the Vita might have a hard time with that, but wasn’t that the problem back in the 1983 videogame crash? New systems just came out so fast when we already had a system that could last another 5 or 7 years. If that were the case in today’s time, the Vita is a better choice than a phone.

14. KAP

I cant see the PSP selling 70m a failure but yet we all think so…
    So if Vita did half that this time round Sony will be laughing again..

Win-Win… quite literally.

15. Erthazus

@Razor,
    “Sony make much noise about the graphics of Uncharted, etc, but why would I want to play Uncharted on a tiny screen when it would be much better playing it on your TV?”

I want to play Uncharted on the PSV on the Go. I want to play it in University and etc.

And most important: I want my BUTTONS. I want my thumbsticks and i want decent control scheme.

Casual gamers can STFU, GTFO and Die. All of them can burn in the hell. If there will be a decent Final Fantasy RPG i can spend 100+ hours on it on the Go.

16. Razor

“A phone is no way for a gamer to spend hours on. ”

“Smartphone is not enough to satisfy my gaming needs. I want more than just Angry Birds or Infinity Blade II that is meh.

I want to jump, shoot, i want my multiplayer there and i want trophies. simple as that”

Then a Vita is for you. Alas, the hundreds of millions of people who buy smartphones every year are not like you, and can happily get by with the entertainment offered by smartphones.

17. AHA-Lambda

@13 – what? the problem with the video game crash was the tremendous amount of low quality shovelware causing a loss of consumer confidence. There is no comparison. At all.

18. tezzer1985

Ermmm was it not VG247 who had a story up last week about, how Sony up’d shipment by 200,000 so that the console could meet demand and not suffer from shortages.

In that same article, it was also stated that Sony wanted people who didn’t pre-order to be able to get hold off one.

I am so sick of the Vita bashing…it’s disgusting and as gamers why would we want this to fail..Not everybody wants to play hand-held games on a bloody iPhone.

VG247, also has an article about the industry needing to grow up, well vg247 take some of your own advice, and stop putting up unnecessary titled articles, Its a title I expect to see on N4G.com

19. JackTheLittle

@10 but it affect software at least! :D
    plus iOs is 4 years old, you cant compare these two and its softwares are not that great. they’re more about quantity than quality.

20. Erthazus

Here you go. Just for fun.

Reggie spent 201 HOURS playing Dragon Quest being a president of NINTENDO of America.

How cool is that?

Gaming on the Go is awesome and damn, bring me Final Fantasy or something hardcore and i will spend the same amount of time if not more.

21. JackTheLittle

@16 “True, but then you’d probably be playing for more hours on a phone than you can on a Vita…”
    if you play the same game, that wont be the case :D

22. JackTheLittle

@20 persona 4 is on the way! i love that game.

23. SuperGuyverUSA

@20 Wasn’t Final Fantasy X coming? I cant wait to get that! :D

24. Erthazus

@JacktheLittle,
    @SuperGuyverUSA,

Yes, FFX is coming and Persona 4 too.

the only problem is that these two games at the same time Fantastic and at the same time ports.

I don’t buy system for ports, although i will probably get FFX and Persona 4 in the end and play them to death, until my Vita will explode and die out of heart attack.

I hope that Sony/Square Enix/Atlus will create original games for the PS Vita. Maybe Persona 5 or new Final Fantasy. who knows.

25. Dannybuoy

Wow, these comments are a great place for the kids the hang out huh.

26. Razor

Glad you could join us, Danny.

27. fearmonkey

It could succeed but it needs a Killer App badly.
    As a Iphone owner I don’t think my smartphone will ever be a real games machine, as the controls SUCK!!!!! If apple or someone would make a control dock where I could have dual thumbsticks and buttons I would consider it, but playing a FPS or quick action game on a smartphone is an exercise in frustration.
    If I was traveling alot or a college student where space is a premium, Id want a Vita. I have an ipad2, its great for everything but i still hate the touchscreen controls though it is better with that bigger screen.

I never considered the PSP as I didn’t like the one stick controls. but Ill consider the Vita if something awesome comes out for it. If they would make an elder scrolls type of game for it that was really good, i might have to get one. It simply needs a killer app. Nintendo always has mario games to get the gamer interest, Sony really doesnt have that so they need some awesome games…….NOW..

If Sony could get Square to make that remake of Final Fantasy 7 as a Vita game, that would be a killer app.

28. OrbitMonkey

The important lesson here is for companies to make sure their isn’t enough to go round. Then all the headlines are “electronic device sold out in hours!!” etc.

It looks good and generates appeal. Works for Apple ;-)

29. 2EX08

Vita problems? I smell sabotage…

30. Clupula

While I certainly do plan on picking up a Vita, as do many people I know, I can’t imagine the 3G model will ever sell out because, honestly, it’s just a bad deal when the WiFi one is so much cheaper and doesn’t lock you into any deals.