Skyrim ships 10 million units worldwide, sets Steam record

Friday, 16th December 2011 01:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In response to demand for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda has shipped 10 million units worldwide.

Although sales figures were not released, Bethesda notes the latest shipment milestone is equivalent to $650 million retail sales, and cited large restock orders.

On the digital front, Valve revealed that the Skyrim is the fastest-selling title ever to grace Steam.

According to Bethesda, the PC version of the game has outsold all rivals in the US by three to one during November.

Skyrim had already established a number of impressive records. It was the first Western-made game to score a perfect Famitsu review. With 280,000 concurrent users on launch day, Skyrim broke Steam’s previous records. Despite its release at the tail end of the year, Skyrim also became Raptr’s most-played game of 2011, and came second only to Call of Duty on Xbox Live activity charts.

Sales-wise, within 48 hours of launch, 3.5 million copies of Skyrim had been snapped up, eating up half of the publisher’s initial shipment of 7 million.

It scored big in the November NPDs and toppled Modern Warfare 3 from top spot on the UK charts.

It’s out now on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 – and a patch for the ailing PS3 version is awaiting certification.

1. Maximum Payne

I am glad for PC and Steam.

2. Edo

Sheogorath FTW :)!

3. Jet Black

Not bad for a broken game…

4. Noodlemanny

@Jet Black
    Its far from a broken game, anyway Elder Scrolls has always been like that. Far too big to find all the loop holes. But then I’m just making excuses.
    I’d say it defiantly deserves those sales. Surprised PC outsold everything but its very much orientated to the pc so I guess it makes sense.

5. OlderGamer

Not supprised at the PC/Steam sales numbers. PC is a more mature platform, and Skyrim ain’t exactly a fable or FF game. I know some folks that are pushing for the Witcher games on console, but I bet their PC sales numbers stay ahead of the console ones for the same type of reasons.

Thats not really a dig at console users(I am one too), but I think it reflects some of the trends.

6. DSB

The PC is dead, long live the PC ;)

@4 I think Tom Chick got it right in that the moment you begin to look at it as a game, it falls apart. As long as you stay immersed, you can get past it, and there’s arguably a lot to swim around in.

Like a lot of others I’ve started running into broken quests around the 40-level mark, and that does fuck with the immersion in a pretty big way.