Quick Quotes: Hayashi – There’s not a “great need anytime soon” for next-gen consoles

Saturday, 5th November 2011 19:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“I think the only way to still see some potential come out of current-gen consoles is improvement in graphics. This will really depend on the skill of CG designers, but any further dramatic evolution in current consoles that could be plainly understood by the general gamer would be fairly difficult to achieve…. I don’t think there is a great need anytime soon for the next generation of consoles to advance the industry. I say this because I believe that gamers thirst for great content, which doesn’t necessarily rely on new console hardware as there are other options to produce a good console game experience. A good and captivating game is just that. As a an avid gamer I can still see myself playing on X360 and PS3 for a bit longer since there continues to be great new games. In order to advance the gaming industry into the future, performance on its own is not the key.” – Yosuke Hayashi, Team Ninja leader to Industry Gamers.

1. DarkElfa

We want new consoles!!!

2. Sini

No we don’t, I dont want to see ps4 till fall 2015

3. Erthazus

I’m sorry? Till 2015? PS3 is already dated since 2010.

It’s time to move on. It’s Japanese problem that they don’t want, because they are stuck in last generation design in most cases.

4. Clupula

I agree with Hayashi. There’s absolutely no need for new consoles. 2015 sounds about right, as long as they keep supporting the PS3 for maybe 2 or 3 years after that, as only fools buy consoles first day.

5. Christopher Jack

As much as I’d like a shiny new PlayStation or even an Xbox, I personally couldn’t afford it any time soon, nor is it really necessary right now.

Sure graphics have just about reached their peaks & a new IP has no chance with out a AAA budget, but this is the time that developers, & more importantly, the manufacturers, should be perfecting their products.

One major problem that I have with the Xbox & PlayStation is the GUI, no one’s yet to perfect their interface. I personally find that the 360′s GUI is very slow & all over the place & although I’m not a fan, I do hope that shove more Metro into it. Now to Sony, while I like the simplicity of the XMB, it’s just not very attractive & very slow in-game.

Right now, I find XBL’s store awfully frustrating to navigate for simple things, it’s a long, clumsy process & while Sony’s is simpler yet again, it’s still pretty unattractive, although I do like what they’ve done with their video unlimited thing, hopefully they adopt it to the GUI of the regular store.

6. Erthazus

It’s not just graphics reached it’s peaks. Games suffer a lot.

Even first party titles like Uncharted 3 for example. There is a level with a lot of spiders. My Ps3 is jizzing all over the place when there are a lot of them and FPS drops to 23-24 from already not so great 30 which is a frustration for your eyes and for the PS3.

Gameplay mechanics is the same in most cases because consoles can’t do much more than that with it’s current hardware capabilities.

PC use is 25% at best. Witcher 2 or Battlefield 3 are hardly next gen, but it looks with every setting out there like a next gen title on the PC.
    Look at games that are developed specifically for PC, there are not many… But even there is a huge difference.

I mean, 2009 was the last thing where PS3 showed it’s juice to it’s full potential. Now it’s a child’s toy.

Some PS Vita games are even more impressive than current gen multiplatform. Lol.

7. Takeshi

@Erthazus: So you’re saying that next-gen consoles will look better than Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2 on highest settings? I’m just asking, I have no idea how much power next-gen will have. I agree about UC3. A few places it dropped so you could feel it. How do you go about showing off fps in a console game though? Special app?

8. Erthazus

@Takeshi, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

this is on minimum that everyone will see.

9. Clupula

Well, I do agree with Erthazus that the next gen will probably look on par with a hi-end PC, but that’s a given. I just don’t think we need to give up this gen so quickly, especially with the economy the way it is. If the new systems cost even $400, I wouldn’t be able to afford one for a while. I think the only people really anxious for a next console gen are PC people, who see their games being held back by console tech. Console-only users, like myself, we tend to be pretty happy with what the PS3/360 can provide.

I think moving to a next gen so early would not be in the best financial interest of Sony and Microsoft (I’m not even going to mention Nintendo, because the Wii U proves they’re thinking one generation behind).

10. Gekidami

^ lol 3 million people are willing to buy a $600 phone, day one. The economy is fine, or at least theres nothing wrong with how much people are willing to pay for something.

11. Erthazus

@9, yeah economy is so bad that 4 million people bought iPhone in the first days for 600$. I’m sorry? Our economy is fantastic if every year companies break records for the devices.

12. daytripper

and the ipad sells very well also

13. AHA-Lambda

There is a difference between high end tablets, phones and computers (2 of which are subsidised every month by majority of purchases) which are ubiquitous all in one devices which can be used for general productivity and work as opposed to a fucking video game console!

Why on earth do you think the industry is down and in such bad shape this year? I think i’ve seen it all when people are actually starting to argue that our economy isn’t fucked -_-

14. DarkElfa

The next gen consoles will have the potential to look far better than any game you can find today on the PC at highest settings. Remember that you can do so much more on a closed system than on a platform lie PC since there are fewer variables.

15. Hybridpsycho

I’d like to see new consoles in AT LEAST 2 years. Not one moment later.

The consoles of today are far outdated and I have to force myself to play on a console when I have my PC right next to it. There are so many games I can enjoy on my PS3 but when I normally play games on PC the graphics really turn me of, especially when it comes to AA on the consoles.