UK charts: Battlefield 3 storms to number 1

Monday, 31st October 2011 10:09 GMT By Stace Harman

Batman toppled from his perch at the top of the charts by the blockbuster shooter from DICE.

Last week, Warner Bros. and Rocksteady’s Batman: Arkham City claimed the no. 1 spot and became one of the biggest launches of 2011, but the bat has been dethroned by Battlefield 3 which takes over at the top of the UK charts.

Elsewhere, the majority of titles in the top 10 have simply each moved down a spot to accommodate Battlefield 3 squeezing in at the top, although Pro Evo 2012 has dropped out of the top 10 to number 11 and evergreen title Zumba Fitness has moved up a place to number 8. Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure has jumped from 11 to 9.

Last week’s data is here. The full UK top 10 for the week ending October 29 looks like this:

1 – Battlefield 3
2 – Batman: Arkham City
3 – FIFA 12
4 – Football Manager 2012
5 – Just Dance 3
6 – Forza Motorsport 4
7 – The Sims 3: Pets
8 – Zumba Fitness
9 – Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure
10 – Rage

1. aseddon130

Just keeping the throne warm for Modern Warfare 3 next week …

2. Colin Gallacher

@1 Exactly what I was thinking. I’d love to see Uncharted 3 up there…but that’s never going to happen :(

3. Fin

Any numbers on BF3?

Holy shit, from EG:
    “It sold more copies in week one than all seventeen previous Battlefield games combined “

4. Lounds

Uncharted will be top this week, week after will be cod, you guys have your dates mixed up.

I think anyone who buys MW3 for mp is a noob based on the new weapon levelling system, seriously COD had no skill at all now.

5. Colin Gallacher

@4 You really think Uncharted 3…a Playstation 3 exclusive will outsell Battlefield 3 on all platforms next week?

6. OrbitMonkey

@Lounds,Spoken like someone who always gets ass-raped on CoD ;)

@Colin, I think Uncharted will be Top 5, but your right, i can’t see it beating a heavy hitting multiformat title like BF3.

7. Blerk

Modern Warfare won’t qualify for next week’s charts, it launches a week tomorrow and the charts come out on Monday.

8. Colin Gallacher

@6 Exactly the point I was hinting at :D

I guess EA’s throwing money at marketing the game worked. Though I’m sure we’ll see how well it actually worked in about a month.

9. DSB

@Fin The older Battlefields didn’t sell very well by todays standards, so that’s not surprising.

However BF2 sold around 2 million copies and BC2 sold around 10 according to some, so the notion that it sold more than all seventeen “combined” is easily debunked.

BF3 is a great game though. No wonder it’s selling like hotcakes.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

<– This loyal Steam customer will wait until he gets BF3 on his account, WITHOUT the Origin implemented INIT, I will wait as long as I have to EA, and you can stick it.. .

11. Fin

It was probably all first-week sales of the previous games combined.

12. StolenGlory

Really enjoying BF3 myself as well and it’s encouraging to see folks such as yourself who were sat on the fence to a degree, enjoying it too and to the end, I believe the sales are justified.

13. DSB

@12 I do get suckered into fanboy arguments quite easily, but for me it’s always about the game.

BF3 is three times the game that Boring Company 2 ever was in my opinion. I knew it wasn’t going to suck, but I’m very impressed by how much it’s improved.

And while it might piss off a lot of the fanboys, I think it’s because of how much DICE have taken from the way CoD does things. They haven’t made a clone, but they’ve taken a lot of things from Infinity Ward and added their tech to it, and it’s just all the better for it.

Although I wish they would’ve left the fucking quicktime events well alone for the singleplayer.

14. John117

@13 I guess DICE wanted to let the player have some control in what would otherwise be a short cutscene. I for one didnt mind it at all, though it was a bit annoying when you would misspress a button and have to reload the scene just to press the right one..

15. StolenGlory

Aside from the QT events, what did you think of the Single-Player?

16. DSB

@14 Obviously that’s the point of QT scenes, but they didn’t exactly go out of their way to make them interesting. The buttons you’re pressing have no bearing on what you’re actually doing.

Press Right-Mouse Button to smack this guy, bend him over, and throw him out the window. One button for a long sequence of events. That just leaves me feeling a bit numb. What’s the point?

@15 I’m not very far into it. I just got forced into buying it yesterday by my brother (I was gonna wait for the Steam release).

I’ve only gotten to the aircraft carrier, but so far I’d say it’s pretty great. There are a few problems with the scripting though. I’m playing it on the highest difficulty, and during the earthquake level, I kept getting taken out by a guy with an RPG whenever I went for the light machinegun on the bridge.

That sucked pretty bad, because it was completely random, but it killed me instantly with no warning, and no way to avoid it, until I finally managed to throw myself back to avoid the blast. None of the AI got hit, so that was pretty illogical. I had some of the same problems in BC2, some of the scripting wasn’t done right.

I really like the feel of the weapons and the reactions of the people getting shot though, it looks horrifyingly good. I’d recommend setting any assault rifle to semi-auto for a more realistic feel. Loving it.

17. StolenGlory

I know where you’re coming from with the scripting – I had a few funnies pop up in that way too. One amusing bug I had was that I had to creep up on somebody and knife them, triggering a scripted animation. However, I creeped a little *too* close and just died instantly without the guy even doing anything to me. I had to laugh :)

Ditto on playing it on the highest difficulty; I think it really makes the experience worthwhile and really, enjoyably tense as well; forcing you to make the most out of using prone, getting the best cover and leaning out, taking potshots and snapping back into position.

But yeah, they really have created a tremendously atmospheric experience here which although scripted to the nines in places, delivers a campaign that isn’t short on bombast but resists the temptation to ascend to CoD SP levels of Michael Bay inspired absurdity.

18. DSB

@17 I also don’t get the fact that some encounters are pretty “open” in terms of letting you attack however you want, but if you stray too far to one side, it flashes a big red timer and “Leaving the Mission Area”. Come on now. Why the hell didn’t you put an obstacle there instead? Why invite people to explore, only to slap them in the face when they do?

That’s all details though, and nothing compared to Black Ops which I recently managed to fight my way through in singleplayer. Pretty terrible game, but actually one of the best stories I’ve seen in CoD.

I really like the acting in BF3 that I’ve seen so far (especially the fact that they’re using real actors ingame instead of just voicing models) and it does seem to be a lot better written than CoD, but I never had anything against the Michael Bay inspired absurdities though. I don’t know any games like the Modern Warfares that’ll let you do so much in such a short time. It’s a cheap thrill rollercoaster, and I personally like those :P

19. StolenGlory

Oh shit, don’t get me wrong – I do love those sorts of Hollywood-style blow out affairs that the CoD games can be relied to supply me with.

It’s just nice every so often to play something (like MoH’s SP to a limited extent) that is a little bit more low-key in it’s pursuit of trying to be more ‘authentic’.

If you get what I mean?

Without a doubt though, there is a place for both though in my gaming diet :)

20. DSB

That’s exactly what I like about it so far. It takes the stuff that CoD does well and adds its own touches to it.

That’s also what makes me think that CoD is going to have a very hard time competing with it, unless they fundamentally rethink those games. For me CoD was the best not neccesarily because it was the most superior game known to man, but because no one else did anything that could match it.

Now DICE has learnt how, and that’s a serious challenge, because I don’t see how CoD can match it without a makeover. A lot of the people I play CoD with are saying the same thing. They weren’t affected by BC2, but this is something entirely different.

21. M. K.

When I saw how cheap it is in UK (34 pound), I ordered it together with Saints Row, Modern Warfare and Skyrim. Now I just have to wait.

And yes, I saved 20€ by buying it in UK :F

22. Lounds

@OrbitMonkey

Get MW2 on PC and I will ass woop you.

If you’re getting MW3 then you are a noob as that game’s weapon leveling system is tarded and anyone who calls them self a gamer and plays competitivly should not buy MW3 unless theres a way to play on servers without that stupid weapon system.

Battlefield 3 is going to sell well no doubt, but I hear a lot of people aren’t going to buy it next week as they will wait for COD… FACT.

Uncharted 3 is out tomorrow and shit hot dam it will sell.

It will be close I call UC3*1 and Bf3*2

I pre-orded bf3 so im contribuited to it’s high sales.

23. M. K.

@22: Didn’t read such a dumb comment for a long time and I read a lot of Erths comments :P