Warhammer 40K Dark Millennium details surface online

Thursday, 13th October 2011 16:05 GMT By Andrew Groen

Since the game was originally announced way back in 2007, THQ has been almost completely mum about Dark Millenium Online – but that changed today.

According to a purported insider source, we can expect the MMORPG on March 31, 2013. A flood of information accompanied the date, some of which we’ve quoted below.

See the full list on the Warseer forum.

* Relic is lending a very small hand in the overall development of dmo. Winking, a chinese based developer is also on board. They helped with Spacemarine as well.
* Vigil is doing 90% of the work. Most of the shared work load is art, and animation.
* Spacemarine is built on the same engine as darksiders (and darksiders 2 respectively)
* Dmo is using the same engine, with gameplay (at least combat) akin to Spacemarine.
* Contrary to what I was told, the art style is NOT like Spacemarine, rather the whole game is more like darksiders (1 & 2), very stylized. The videos released at the last E3 are fairly accurate to the current state of the art style. Less realistic.
* Revision to what I was told by the rep, is that Spring 2012 is unlikely… maybe for more announcements on the game’s progress. Though a Darsiders 2 release in spring is likely, Vigil is working on both.

Thanks, Strategy Informer!

Original article by Andrew Groen, with additional updates from Brenna Hillier.

1. NeoSquall

I’ve read the full rundown at SI.

> No Commissars

I’m disappoint.

2. viralshag

After reading the notes it’s going to be interesting how this develops into a MMO. Previously full-on live action MMOs haven’t really done anything for me but the 40k universe is so bloody good, there’s no way I would avoid this.

3. Gheritt White

OMG! Eldar!

+1 sale confirmed.

4. triggerhappy

This is the only MMO ive ever been pumped for. This game is going to swallow large sections of my life. I’ll probably still be slogging away at my Horus Heresy novels when it comes out lol

*makes the sign of the Aquila*

5. NeoSquall

@2 It’s not super difficult, the game does have “classic” gameplay elements (faction divisions, specular character classes, specializations), plus the “twist” represented by the control system, which build upon Space Marine blend of ranged and close combat and the ability to indipendetly control a weapon on each hand.

The strong points (and issues) of Dark Millennium are going to be in the actual lore implementation: I think not all Space Marine players are gonna be happy to be an overzealous Black Templar or a booooooooring Word Bearer…

6. viralshag

@Trigger, Ahhhh dude. I started the second one on Monday I think, and I’m just about done with it. Hardly been able to put the thing down and that’s with Rage and Dark Souls to play! Seriously great read. I already have the third sitting on my desk waiting for me to get stuck in.

@Neo, It’s more about how the combat will play out. I mean, I loved it in Space Marine but I’m more curious than anything how it will stay fresh through the proposed 60 levels.

7. triggerhappy

@Viral: LOL nice, Im just about over half way on the second one. Been busy with my decorating and me and my mate have been doing long sessions on our GT5 profile into 3 and 4 in the morning, but I just did 43 pages there and im back with avengence. Going to watch the last 3 eps of Breaking Bad season 4 then get reading again. Oh yeh and Loken & Torgaddon are totally Lucius Vorenus & Titus Pullo from Rome. It’s their voices in my head and everything :D

8. Crab of Thunder

@trigger and mr. shag
    I’ve read more than 10 of the Heresy, do I win? :)
    Must say, the third one, Galaxy In Flames, is bloody brilliant.

9. NeoSquall

@6 Don’t forget that, since this one is a MMORPG, you will still have button activated skills to use, it won’t be just a “run and gun” action game.

10. triggerhappy

@ Crab: Got the third one sitting here so I can make the transition seamless :P

11. absolutezero

Oh god Striking Scorpions fap fap fap.

12. Brenna Hillier

I wish I’d read this yesterday. It might all be true for all I know but it’s in no way an official update. I’ve amended the article to reflect that.