BioWare “looking for” a way to bring back Jade Empire

Tuesday, 27th September 2011 07:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

BioWare’s martial-arts RPG Jade Empire is on the cards for a revival.

“We’ve been talking a lot about that actually on and off over the years. It’s an IP, it’s a setting that we’re really passionate about, and we still are,” co-founder and CEO Ray Muzyka said at a developer session at Eurogamer Expo over the weekend, as reported by Eurogamer.

“Both Greg [Zeshuk, co-founder] and I were big believers in the IP. We’re just looking for the right way to deploy it.”

Muzyka said BioWare has “a lot of different projects now on a lot of different platforms”, and said players might see Jade Empire turn up in the future.

“We don’t have anything to announce on it right now, but it is a franchise that’s near and dear to us,” he said.

Jade Empire, released in 2005 for PC and Xbox 360, won praise both for its solid RPG core and its unusual thematics – a startling shift in focus from the traditional European fantasy themes of core RPGs of the time.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. Judicas

Xbox 360 aye… might want to rethink that Brenna :)

2. revolting

Indeed, it was on the first gen xbox, not the 360.

This game always seems to get so much undeserved hate from Bioware fans, for no reason greater than it dared to try something new and inject some action in their standard post-BG/NWN RPG-lite formula, which ironically has become their main weapon of choice now, and people still give this game hard time.

At the time though, I thought any game with a character voiced by John Cleese was worth a look, and it turned out to be great fun, so I had no complaints. I still have the OST on my ipod, and to this day Death’s Hand remains one of the most memorable Bioware antagonists for me. I’d welcome a new version of the game, but I’m not sure how likely they are to go for it; it seems every time they mention the game, the hate train steams into town once again.

3. Judicas

Weird, all my friends who like bioware games enjoyed this too.

4. endgame

wanna bet that the 3rd game that they r working on right now is not Jade Empire 2? :))

5. Fin

I asked the question that led to this response 8)

6. viralshag

I would love to see a new Jade Empire game. I really loved it. Martial arts based RPG? Yes please.

7. YoungZer0

@5: So you went to thatvideogameblog.com and asked the question there?

8. silkvg247

I quite liked it on PC but got miffed with some technical issues to do with framerates and so on. Might give it another look at some point.

9. Fin

Urr, if you read the story…
    “CEO Ray Muzyka said at a developer session at Eurogamer Expo”

It was during the QA session…

10. OrbitMonkey

Oh yes please!! Truly origional setting (for a rpg), great characters & funny to boot!! It was like playing a episode of Monkey :D