Deus Ex DLC to last around 5 hours, says Eidos

Tuesday, 20th September 2011 11:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Deus Ex’s Missing Link DLC is to last in the region of five hours, Eidos Montreal has said on its Tumblr.

“The Missing Link is approximately five hours long, but as always that varies depending on your playstyle and completionist urges,” said the team.

The DLC will fill in holes in the main game’s plot, detailing where Adam Jensen vanishes to for three days.

As per the official description: “After being tortured by Belltower agents and having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter, destined for an unknown location. While fighting for his survival on the ship, he uncovers another layer to the conspiracy that he never would have suspected. As Adam, gamers will befriend new, mysterious allies and fight ruthless enemies to discover what was happening in the shadows during the events.”

The Missing Link will be made available in October on PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Steam, and OnLive.

Thanks, GameFront.

1. Zonejeu

5 hours is pretty good for a DLC, but we still have to check the quality of it, and also how much it’ll cost.

2. Ireland Michael

@1 It’s a good length because they simply ripped out of the main game and pawned it off as extra content.

Which is exactly why I’ll pass.

3. YoungZer0

@2: Know this for sure? Why don’t they just release it now?

4. Ireland Michael

@2 Obviously it’s scheduled for release on a certain date.

The game itself has a gaping hole in its plot. This DLC conveniently covers that entire section of the story, and is coming out only a few weeks after release.

It’s a bit like the Epilogue of Prince of Persia or the two missions of the AC2 DLC. They were clearly supposed to be part of the main story. This is one type of DLC I find inexcusable.

5. YoungZer0

@4: What plothole do you mean? Please clarify.

6. RyanMartin1991

I don’t understand why people use the time argument with DLC. Devs have weeks, sometimes a few months to create DLC in the run up to release when a game has gone Gold.

7. Ireland Michael

@4 There’s only part of the story where you suddenly end up back in Detroit and out that Jensen has been in stasis for a few weeks, blah blah blah.

This is that part.

8. cgalla2000

I can’t be the only one who wants a DLC mission that involves getting Jensen’s mirror fixed.

9. YoungZer0

@7: Suddenly end up back in detroit? Did it miss that?

Also: How is it a plothole? Jensen could easily sleep a few weeks in a stasis pod.

@8: You’re not. There is reason to believe that the hotel is keeping the replacement mirror for themselves.

10. Ireland Michael

@9 But he didn’t “sleep in stasis for a few weeks.” Eidos stated in the press release themselves that this part of the story takes place between those two parts of the story.

Conveniently.

11. schnide

@Ireland Michael

You don’t end up back in Detroit, that’s quite blatantly obvious.

I know where you’re coming from on the general idea of publishers releasing levels as DLC that should have been part of the main game and were ripped out of the first release, but honestly, do you really feel like you were short-changed in the amount of content you were given in the main release alone? It’s a massive, and indeed, amazing game in its own right.

I can quite easily believe that The Missing Link just wasn’t finished in time so they’re releasing it separately as DLC. And it perfectly fits the story, so I’ll enjoy it when it comes.

12. viralshag

“having his augmentations disabled, Adam Jensen must rely solely on his basic capabilities to escape from a freighter”

Been there, done that, got the achievments and video to prove it. No augs play through means nothing to me. NOTHING. I OWN THIS GAME. I OWN YOU. (ME2 Ref) :P

13. YoungZer0

@10: So let me get this straight. You really think they already finished that part of the game and then said “STOP! Why not include it as a DLC?”

Granted, it might have been part of the story (If you ask me, it could ruin the pacing), but i actually think they had not enough time to polish and finish it, instead of assuming they just want to rip us off.

14. Erthazus

I am with Michael on this one. They said before that they planned much more content to begin with and even more cities.

but i also think that the content that was in the game is enough. The game is great but it’s very repetitive.
    you are going to do the same thing: Press Q + use hacking a LOT. I finished the game for example without any shooting or killing someone (tried sometimes experiment with guns blazing or killing guys just to see cool animation. Thank god for old school quick load and quick save)

The story in this game is not impressive at all to experience something that is missing in this game. I found all that conspiracy theory pretty much weak in the end compared even to first Deus Ex with 4 lame endings which are just videos (if i didn’t missed something.)

Even endings in the first game felt more important and felt connected to the character. With HR i don’t feel that alone except for one ending in which you destroy the Panachea.

15. Ireland Michael

@13 “So let me get this straight. You really think they already finished that part of the game and then said “STOP! Why not include it as a DLC?”

Yes, this is exactly what I think. The way the story just “cuts off” and goes ahead a few weeks with a throwaway explanation is enough proof for me. It’s really fucking lazy.

I don’t believe for a second that this ended up on the cutting-room floor. It’s amazing how often many games “conveniently” end up with parts of their story missing nowadays.

16. YoungZer0

@14: I fucking knew it! I knew the developer should never mention the other city hubs! Now people are going to think they getting some canceled stuff.

To be honest, i actually think it’s not enough. Not enough at all. I was really missing another city hub. When i heard i was heading to Montreal i was really happy, only to find out that there is only one level. I want more sidequests, way more sidequests.

The game is as repetitive as you are. Nobody’s forcing you to play it stealthy.

@15: Judging by their past interviews, you better believe they left alot of material lying on the floor. The story of DX:HR was complete without the DLC, so i don’t understand why you’re so upset about it.

17. Erthazus

“I fucking knew it! I knew the developer should never mention the other city hubs! Now people are going to think they getting some canceled stuff.”

you never know to begin with. New cities means that there are a lot of cut content.

“The game is as repetitive as you are. Nobody’s forcing you to play it stealthy.”

i played it steathy because it’s the only mechanic game had more variety than just shooting people in the face and you also get more reward (Ghost (500) + more experience which i think is a mistake for this kind of game.)

18. YoungZer0

@17: Since stealth is more difficult and takes more time, it should be rewarded with more xp. Though i think the game should’ve a more dynamic xp system. Like if you kill more people in less time and such.

19. Phoenixblight

You want to know why the Bosses were so out of place and random? Edios had outsourced the boss battles to another studio.

Just another piece of evidence that this studio doesn’t know what they are doing if Deus Ex: HR is evidence enough. No evolution and they outsource their work. I can understand art because who wants to model the same thing 20x but Bosses? That should be something done in house.

20. Ireland Michael

@16 It wouldn’t be so bad if the game and the story that is there were any good. As it stands, neither is.

This is just one more nail in the head.

21. Erthazus

Stealth is not more difficult. With that stupid AI it’s very easy and it’s not long especially with few right augmentations.

First Deus Ex had much better reward system. There was no experience for killing people at all. You get experience for doing stuff. NPC’s were just a precious loot and i liked that much more.

Now, it’s much better to do a pacifist road (more exp) + GHOST and it hurts the gaming experience. Although finding hiding places and rewards for them is a cool idea. Still there is not enough balance. When i finish everyone in the level with being a pacifist i’m exploring everything for additional experience. 100 or sometimes even 300 is too much for this game considering what augmentations you get and how less of a level exp you need for the next level. In my opinion these rewards should be when enemy is still alive and when it’s dead you should not recieve exp at all.
    Because you are exploring on your own for the loot or information and i think thats enough for the reward.

Not much of a challenge. IMO

22. viralshag

I never ever ever thought I would say this… but I pretty much completely agree with Erth.

23. YoungZer0

@21: Sure it’s not difficult, but it’s still more difficult then randomly shooting people.

@20: Agreed. But think about it. If the main game had such a lackluster story, how is a dlc going to change that? It will always leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Kind of like playing Fallout 3.

@19: Boss Battles don’t belong in a DX Game anyway.

24. Phoenixblight

Well they can, just add more variety to how to defeat the bosses instead of shooting them down. Most of those bosses were stupid and forced you to play a certain style. Half of them practically make it impossible without having a certain augment. When I found it it made sense on how random and forced those battles were and not exactly needed either. I didn’t even know their names until I read the wiki about them.

25. YoungZer0

@24: Dunno man, i was just throwing mines like a baws.

26. Phoenixblight

Well my first playthrough I was going for ghost so I didn’t pick up lethal weapons. That tactic really borked me on the playthrough until I got my ass kicked so many times I finally looked up the tactics for them and realized how they were then I started picking up mines and one lethal weapon. But for that lightning chick it was just jumping up and down and taking health shots(?) to survive that onslaught. Thankfully I had lots of those not sure how else you would do that battle without the augment or having lots of health boosts.

27. Erthazus

What i also find is that NPC’s are lacking with communication with each other especially when AI in this game is so horrible.

Once you finish one guy, everyone gives rats ass about him. What i liked in Metal Gear Solid 2 is that when you finish someone, NPC’s starting to search that guy by using various communication devices and in the end they send a squad to find that guy.
    If squad fails to find the target you get an alarm and everyone starts to search you.

I seriously felt that they lacked that feature. Stealth or not. It was really easy to knock everyone out.

28. YoungZer0

@27: Yeah, i was actually missing that too. I mean, sure DX1 had that, but it’s 2011 now. A lot of the art-direction also seem to have been inspired by MGS2, especially the FEMA Building. They could’ve made stealth way more difficult that way and the hiding of bodies much more rewarding.

@26: Fail. Seriously. If you’re anything like me you take every weapon you can get. If you have the chance, you’ll sell it. But since you won’t have any chance to sell anything when you’re in the FEMA Building, you have enough time you collect some nice weapons.

I only used non-lethal weapons, but always had invested a lot into sidearms, in case shit got real.

29. Fin

It’s not a stealth game though, it’s an action/stealth/talky rpg. I would’ve enjoyed it a lot less had the AI been better and be able to activate an alarm whenever one of their friends goes missing.

30. YoungZer0

@29:

Guard named Jeff: “ALARM, INTRUDER!”
    Guard named Joe steps out of the toilette: “What’s the problem?”
    Jeff: Joe is miss- oh here you are.

31. Phoenixblight

No because you can’t have a lot of items That tranq rifle and stun gun takes up a lot of space with the ammo and health boosts. Plus I Thought it would be like the original where it didn’t force you to play a certain style. I know now it was the wrong idea but it helped me realize that the game is really nothing like the original.

32. DSB

I like the fact that they wait for you to finish your needlessly long takedown animation, before pouncing on you. As long as I have energy and I keep tapping “Q”, they’ll be too amazed by my sweet moves to do anything about it.

33. YoungZer0

@31: That’s why you invest in strength, so you can have a bigger inventory.

34. Phoenixblight

I know this by endgame, I had all of the inventory but like I said the first two battles I was playing as stealth character not realizing that the game forces you to play a specific style, that is what I am complaining about. That is nothing like the original.

35. Erthazus

@DSB, because it’s easier for the game to calculate your movement and exprience. If guys started to do something in front of this animation something can go apeshit with the game code or AI.
    It’s much easier to do and show things while world sleeps at that moment.

36. YoungZer0

@34: Yeah, it isn’t. But i can see past that. Can you?

37. Phoenixblight

That not just one of my gripes with the game I am with Michael and DSB. The game was not that good, whole bunch of flaws not just with the story but the actual design of the game. It didn’t deserve a 9 hell at best I would say a 7. Somewhat solid gameplay but everything around it was just tacked on crap.

38. YoungZer0

@37: I liked the gameplay. Thought the characters were very shallow, thought most mechanics weren’t flashed out and the story and writing are just bad.

39. Phoenixblight

The game play was pretty solid it was just the heavily scripted AI that were really stupid then not sure if you saw this but if you silent take down no one heard it even if a guy was right next ot but if you do a lethal take down everyone and their mother knew it. Some of the non lethal take downs were really loud and not one responded to those but if you stuck a blade through a guys throat somehow everyone knows about it?

40. YoungZer0

@39: Agreed, that was a stupid decision. I also thought that the number of take downs was really, really short.