Report – Online retailer in Norway breaks Gears of War 3 street date

Saturday, 10th September 2011 17:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It looks as though Gears of War 3 was sent out to customers a few days early in Norway.

According to a report from Norwegian site PressFire, customers who purchased the game online through store Elkjop.no have reported, and sent in pictures as proof, that they received the game before its street date of September 20.

Microsoft issued a statement on the matter saying the broken street date was something it would “immediately” follow-up on.

“Gears of War 3 shall not, under any circumstances be sold before the launch date on September 20 and violations of this is something we look very seriously,” said Microsoft Norway.

“We informed Microsoft yesterday,” read a statement. “Now we [are] examining what has happened, so it does not happen again.”

You can read more on this via the PressFire link, which sent us the tip.

If any of our readers can speak Norwegian, it would be most helpful to us if they could make sure Google translated the original article for us properly. Thanks in advance.

Meanwhile, we’ll send Epic a mail.

1. Pellesam

I am norwegian and the translation was pretty good. Unfortunately I didn’t pre-ordered from elkjop.no :(

2. The_Deleted

Epic Failed?

3. Quasar

the game yeah

4. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Thanks for looking for me. :)

5. Razor

This is Norway’s little treat for having to put up with all that cold weather :)

6. minxamo

I saw it up on bitgamer the other day, this must be why.

7. ItsFade

Stores in Norway always seem to leak the big xbox titles pre-launch. See Halo 3 and Halo Reach as well. It seems I pre-order from the wrong places here because it never happens to me. :(

8. vicheous

I live in Norway and get games before street date almost all the time for the PS3! My store told me it’s because i’m such a good customer :D
    Norway FTW

9. UKTomm

‘The online store said it was “keen to keep these deadlines,” and was unsure how it happened.’

Bet you £20 it was intentional.