New maps, screenshots for Red Orchestra 2 beta

Saturday, 3rd September 2011 23:50 GMT By Andrew Groen

While all the focus in the FPS market is squared on Battlefield 3 vs Modern Warfare 3, Red Orchestra 2 is shaping up to be a surprise hit.
It may not have all of the Jerry Bruckheimer-esque flash of Modern Warfare 3, but Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad has been delighting fans since the beta launched last week.

There’s no chance of it competing with the big guns (at least not in sales,) but we’re pulling for this underdog to shake up the PC FPS market a bit.

Today Tripwire Interactive announced a few new levels for the beta including “Grain Elevator” (long-range and short-range hybrid map,) “Red October Factory” (infantry and tank map,) and “Barracks” (close quarters.)

1. JRNO

Put in 14 hours in the beta so far. The atmosphere in this game is quite something.
    For those who plan to pick up the game just now, I warn you that there’s a two hour or so adjustment period. I had played the Ostfront years prior to this one coming out, and I still needed time adjust to the game. If you were however put off by harshness of the last game, Red Orchestra 2 is a more forgiving game, and in my opinion, all the better for it. It still retains a very serious look and feel, but you’ll no longer feel like you don’t have any legs if you’re shot in the tigh.

2. UuBuU

This game is going to put BF3 and MW3 to shame.

3. absolutezero

Waiting for update. waiting waiting.

4. turbulence

RO2 is a great game that is being overlooked by PC gamers in general because of CoD or BF3 (Cant wait for BF3 btw) but this game can stand on its own.

Here is a montage I’ve made with clips from second day of beta!

5. DSB

The smaller the community, the bigger the need to blame everybody else for it. I’m gonna make the wild assumption that if everybody suddenly came running in from BC2 and CoD, that that would be entirely wrong as well.

Not that Red Orchestra isn’t a great game, but it’s also WW2 game number 5400. Why wouldn’t people get sick of staring down the barrel of a 98K carbine? Does it get proportionally more interesting with every passing game? I don’t think so.

6. turbulence

@ #5 I know exactly what you mean. I know its a first-person shooter but it’s radically different from almost every shooter on the market that has come out in the past few years, it forces you to play different for sure and it’s very tactical. I’ve played WWII games to death, and I can’t say its my favorite setting but the gameplay itself sets it apart from the competition in terms of realism and challenge. Every kill I get is incredibly satisfying compared to say…Call of Duty. It’s safe to say for me that although I’m waiting for BF3, this game sets itself apart IMO and I’ll be play them side-by-side.

7. DSB

@6 I’m not knocking the game itself, I’m very likely to buy it myself. But in a day where we have highly trained special forces flying in stealth helicopters, hugging the ground at 300 kilometres an hour, fastroping to the ground, blasting through walls and killing terrorist leaders in less than an hour, running around in hemp uniforms with steel helmets and big lumbering tanks with 12-speed garboxes, that might inch their way up to 55 kilometres an hour if the wind is blowing the right way, is just pretty underwhelming.

Especially considering the fact that we’ve already been there a million times before in games that were also great for what they delivered.

I’m not saying it’s not a worthy game, but it’s not hard to see why it doesn’t appeal to people as much as its contemporaries. I’ve been to Kursk, Kharkov and Stalingrad. I want to go somewhere else for once. I don’t think I’ve ever had the chance to fight through the Gothic Line, land on Cyprus or Sicilly, or fight my way through Burma. I don’t think I’ve even seen a Gurkha.

I think Hidden and Dangerous did a Norway mission once, right? Apparently that’s as far as we get.

8. Yoshi