Dungeon Siege III DLC announced

Thursday, 1st September 2011 18:34 GMT By Andrew Groen

Obsidian has announced a suite of downloadable content options for fans of Dungeon Siege III.

The DLC pack is called Treasures of the Sun, and will be arriving in October. The pack will also raise the level cap from 30 to 35.

“On their search for a lost Legion hero, players will fight through hordes of new villains only to find a forgotten abbey hiding a long-lost secret: the greatest treasure of the Azunite faith.”

No other details or screenshots for the DLC pack were released.

1. CaptKillsteal

Dungeon Siege 3 has fans?

2. Ireland Michael

I like the game, personally. There are some nice nuances in the character’s abilities, and some good ideas that address common annoyances in the genre – smart AI companions, looting that gives items to everyone, etc.

3. frostquake

I bought the game, and it was enjoyable..nothing outstanding, but a Fun game.

4. BraveArse

currently on my second playthrough, this time in co-op. Think it’s a great little hack’n'slasher myself. Will almost certainly take a punt on this.

5. OrbitMonkey

Obsidian made this? Erm, has it got a lot of glitches, or just a few? Kind of interested… Anyone got a quick player review?

6. Ireland Michael

@5 Nope, not any game breaking glitches as far as I can tell.

It’s fun, but it’s short. You’ll only get about 12 hours at most out of each character’s campaign, and the changes between the story with each character aren’t that varied, but what’s there is fun while it lasts. Every class plays completely differently.

There’s a lot of enjoyable micromanaging of characters stats and skills, if you enjoy that sort of thing. The story is also interesting enough. The game is also surprisingly funny at times at pokes fun at some of the genre’s cliches – for instance, the barrel saleman who is kept in business because, for some explicable reason, someone keeps going around breaking open all the barrels in the kingdom…

Watch a few gameplay videos. That’s the best way to get a judge on whether you’ll enjoy it or not.

7. OrbitMonkey

^ Yeah I will, this released without much fanfare & I missed it.

8. BraveArse

Michael pretty much nailed it. I found it literally surprisingly funny. In that every time it poked fun at itself I was so surprised I just laughed out loud. It’s a very self deprecating kind of humour too,

As for bugs, almost none. In fact, the only problem we had was three player coop kept crashing, and I suspect that was a router incompatibility rather than a bug. Two player is certainly great fun.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 Yeah, I definitely need to champion the multiplayer in that game.

Drop-in drop-out four player online co-op at any time is pretty awesome. It has some great multiplayer features, such as no ninja looting (everyone gets the items that drop), a conversation wheel where other players can vote on what the host should ask an NPC, and even class skillsets created purely for multiplayer.

That’s the one thing Dungeon Siege does brilliantly, and there are lot of little tricks in the game that future RPGs could do well to learn from.

It’s just a pity that its so damn short! Unless you’re willing play through multiple times with with every character.

If any of you are up for playimg it some time, my Xbox Live gamertag is Words of Ivory.

10. BraveArse

@9 I unfortunately went for the other console with DS3 ;)

Although I’m always up for coop stuff, so will add you on live anyway if you don’t mind? Tag on both is beardybrave ( when my daughter started to read I had to drop the arse ;) ).

11. DaMan

Did anyone playing this title try the old DS games back in the days, how’s it compared to those?

12. Ireland Michael

No idea. I’ve never played them.

13. DaMan

Bummer. I liked the demo though.